World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
pinkydinkydoo

Needed someone to wait it out with

pinkydinkydoo

Im big into the message forum scene but only one mommy and pregnancy forums. I knew I couldnt post my freak out there while waiting.

Im currently 32 weeks pregnant and about 2 weekends ago I notice a raw bumpy area on my vaginal lip. I thought it was just from running around all day. For anyone whos been pregnant you know the extra fluids you have so you stay damp a lot. I figured from being damp and running around with son all day and my lip rubbing on my leg and jeans I got an irritated place. I told my mom and she said I better talk to my OB. Yesterday I had my appointment and they couldnt say for sure from looking if it was herpes outbreak or not. I do remember same thing happening in August to me after a few days of a lot of sex and I was raw everywhere down there. My OB asked me fi I shaved and I told her usually I do, or atleast trim down there with eletric razor. She did a swab and said they should hear back in a week.

Im so upset. I really wanted another vaginal birth. I had a wetprep for STD's back in September. Wouldnt have that caught it or is it just when you have an outbreak you can test for it?

I stay paranoid now because my son whos a toddler still jumps in the bathtub with me and has recently. Is there concern for him at all? Man this week will drag I know. Im hoping I hear something either way by next Tuesday. I know no news is good news, but no news drives me insane and make sme think someone forgot to call me maybe

catiesmom

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I totally understand your worry, and waiting doesn't make it fun. It is possible to still give birth vaginally if you're not having an OB when you go into labor, but if you caught HSV while pregnant, i'm guessing your doctors won't want to take that chance.

As for taking baths with your son, if you're having what you think is an outbreak, i wouldn't recommend it. The virus can't live for long in an oxygenated environment, but i'm not sure about water. If you're not having an OB, i'd guess your 4% chance of shedding and transferring through the bathwater wouldn't be enough to worry about. Honestly, i'm amazed you can fit you, a pregnant belly, AND a kid in your bathtub!! :)

I know its hard to wait, but it's about all you can do right now. Hopefully someone else will offer some insight as well - i know we have some mothers here who had HSV while pregnant. Hang in there!

pinkydinkydoo

thanks so much

im just going mad waiting. Im hoping its just some weird irritable skin rash or something from a lot of discharge from being pregnant.

hahaha. I have a huge jucuzzi tub, thats only reason we both fit.

So does a regular pap smear not catch this?

catiesmom

No, pap smears don't catch HSV. Nor do "complete" std tests. Usually when you ask your doctor for a complete std workup, HSV is not included. You would think it would be included for pregnancy, but most people have HSV-1 orally, which doesn't have any effect on childbirth, and if in fact you had genital HSV before you got pregnant but didn't have outbreaks (as most people don't), it would have very little chance of being a problem. The biggest problem comes in when you catch it while pregnant, or if you're having an OB while the baby is travelling through the birth canal.

Do you know when you might have caught this? I'm assuming if both you and your significant other have been faithful, it would have to have been prior to your relationship, which is a good thing for your baby.

pinkydinkydoo

I have no clue.

Im single and have had 2 partners since May, one being the guy I got pregnant by and was dating and then I started seeing my sons father again in August. Im completely clueless. Only thing I know is Ive only had this happen twice and once was in August after a lot of friction down there during a few days of sex and then this time