World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
JaneyB

long-term use of valaciclovir

JaneyB

Hi,

I suffer from frequent cold sores - about one outbreak a month. I won't get into details but I have tried many of the 'remedies' listed on this site to stop outbreaks, have had numerous testing done (including nutritional, etc.) and am otherwise healthy and fit. I started having cold sores as a teenager and now in my 40's, have always had frequent outbreaks, at least one every few months but as I age, it appears to be getting worse.

Anyway, I took prophylactic valtrex in my 20's and it didn't really work. I recently decided to give it another try and did 6 months of 500mg once daily valtrex. I didn't stop my outbreaks but they were less frequent and the biggest difference was that when I had an outbreak they were mostly very mild. Month one off the valtex and I had a mild outbreak, month two another mild outbreak and now month 3 I've had a significant outbreak, three separate sores and no apparent trigger. 

My doctor wanted me to only do 6 months due to the drugs potential impact on liver function. I tested liver function while on valtex and all good. Plus, no history here of liver function issues. I just think it's a general concern of his. 

Here's my question...seeing that it helped, I'm considering going back on valtex at 500mg/day to prevent outbreaks, at least for another 6 months. I don't like the idea of long-term use but I'm desperate. What are others' experience with long-term use? How long? Also, what is known about intermittent use - i.e. going on for 3 or 6 months, followed by a short 1 month break? I'm a little worried about becoming 'immune' to the drug, or having significant outbreaks once I cease use. I see there was an old thread regarding anti-virals decreasing the body's natural immune response but the data is old, limited and not reliable. 

Any insight or experience appreciated. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • WilsoInAus
      I’m not following mate. You simply do not have herpes. Do you care if your partner has herpes? Has she tested?
    • IloveCoco
      I know it’s genitalia because I had my outbreak there and sore was swabbed as hsv1 genitalia.
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey mate, really glad you sought out the swab. Regardless of what it all is, I hope it clears and you get back to your normal self soon.
    • Toro
      I have the same symptoms as well and the only thing that worked out is Amenalief.I am taking 1 pill a day.
    • cowpoke02
      it happens ..  talking about few guys so i guessed ..  only take sone mess up or lie ..  experiment continues . i was doing great .  went backwards .. not eating is my friend ..  i get some supplies back and i will see if they working better than thing i was taking them with ...  order nuns hemp oil and products . they make best  out of california .   joint pain stuff and edible oil .  might work really well . experiment time ..  smoke real pot as well .  always hope // i know at worse i make my own oil dose up at night ..  eat clean .. i looking at it as a war and battle .. i was just healthy for while ..  so all gotta do is eat dried apricots or hemp oils ... or switch on off best products so body dint get used to it or damage from one thing to long ..  take care ..   you work in law offices ?  i could use a hand typing up simple retard few sentences  . make every thing short ..  i could pay back extra if i win ...     yes sex is reckless . i didn't a lot but made bad choices .. its reckless since it is your life . bible no joke . world history of truths of man . problem is figure it out after ya screwed . lol.  strict cause when you comet to play or entertain idea specially others they usual;ly using you or trickery bad things .  all good.  it's a war and i just enough and have few tricks all ready . get stocked up on the remedies so don't run out . lol.  live where have pot be god sent . 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.