World's Largest Herpes Support Group
mconcerned1986

Oral HSV in near

mconcerned1986

A small girl in my community as a play act bit my ear and I remember her having oral hsv from childhood. What is the feasibility that it get transferred to the ear? It happened only momentarily for a sec but i tried to sway from her. Does this sound like a concern? I haven’t see any posts highlighting herpes primary infection via kissing or biting ears. Any thoughts or experiences? Please share your thoughts.

WilsoInAus

Zero to negligible chance here. As an adult it would take much more than that to be infected.

mcmich

Not sure how you can say that. If it was so difficult to pass HSV-1 why does 2/3 (est) of the world have it? Why does it now cause close to 50% of genital infections (doubt anyone allows someone to perform oral sex if their partner has a blister)?

Also, if other areas of the body are harder to infect why is it a serious problem in wrestling? Long ago I posted a link that one University requires all wrestlers to take Anti-viral meds to

try and stop the spread. Here is a quick google search link on wrestlers (older article but still relevant and you can find more). If there is any visible sign of a outbreak a wrestler may not wrestle yet these outbreaks still occur. While it is harder to get infected if their is no visible outbreak, viral shedding still occurs and can infect others. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199109263251302

WilsoInAus

Yes but we are talking about an accidental brush by a child without an active cold sore.

Not a wrestle with Mike Tyson with an outbreak!

mcmich

Non of these wrestlers wrestle with cold sores. It is not allowed!!  Yet it is a major problem. All contact sports will not let a athlete participate if he has a active infection.

Sure if you took a pole on the people that got HSV-1 genitally, non of us allowed this to occur while our partners had a breakout! Yet we are closing in on a 50% infection rate of gential HSV-1 of all new infections.

I at least google and find links to back up what I am saying. All you do is post not possible! Where you getting your info? Post the studies! 

And if the girl bit him (not a accidental brush), it may easier to contract. Not saying he will be infected, but definitely possible! I would agree it is low but something to watch for. HSV is much easier to contract then many diseases, just needs skin on skin contact and does not seem to matter where. That is my point with people in contact sports getting it in different locations on their bodies. That is my point on genital HSV-1 infections. 

Forgot the numbers, but HSV 1&2 shed so many days a month with NO symptoms. All it needs is to come in contact with an uninfected person any where on their bodies.

So assuming the girl has HSV-1 she sheds 18% of the days (5.4 days) a month.  The shedding rate drops over time, depending on how long she has had it, how strong her immune system is, etc.! The risk is not 0.

https://www.herpes-coldsores.com/viral_shedding.htm

In genital infections:

HSV Type 1 = 3 to 5% (of days evaluated)
HSV Type 2 = 15 to 20% (of days evaluated)

In oral (mouth) infections:

HSV Type 1 = 18% (of days evaluated)
HSV Type 2 = 1 % (of days evaluated)

WilsoInAus

@mcmich this is a bit all over the place.

Is HSV-1 really an issue for wrestlers? A few reports isn’t much.

We are talking the ear and not sensitive areas. There is no comparison.

HSV-1 has probably always been 50% of genital infections.

Shedding does not equal infectiousness. As few as 10% of shedding episodes would have enough of the virus to infect. 

Edited by WilsoInAus

mconcerned1986

Thanks Will. 

Just got a response from Dr Hook on Askexpertsnow.com.

he feels like this kind of exposure is no risk. Looks like he is not worried at all. I need to give it some time and just think peacefully and stop panicing more often.  I thank you all for your continued support. 

mconcerned1986
1 hour ago, mcmich said:

Non of these wrestlers wrestle with cold sores. It is not allowed!!  Yet it is a major problem. All contact sports will not let a athlete participate if he has a active infection.

Sure if you took a pole on the people that got HSV-1 genitally, non of us allowed this to occur while our partners had a breakout! Yet we are closing in on a 50% infection rate of gential HSV-1 of all new infections.

I at least google and find links to back up what I am saying. All you do is post not possible! Where you getting your info? Post the studies! 

And if the girl bit him (not a accidental brush), it may easier to contract. Not saying he will be infected, but definitely possible! I would agree it is low but something to watch for. HSV is much easier to contract then many diseases, just needs skin on skin contact and does not seem to matter where. That is my point with people in contact sports getting it in different locations on their bodies. That is my point on genital HSV-1 infections. 

Forgot the numbers, but HSV 1&2 shed so many days a month with NO symptoms. All it needs is to come in contact with an uninfected person any where on their bodies.

So assuming the girl has HSV-1 she sheds 18% of the days (5.4 days) a month.  The shedding rate drops over time, depending on how long she has had it, how strong her immune system is, etc.! The risk is not 0.

https://www.herpes-coldsores.com/viral_shedding.htm

In genital infections:

HSV Type 1 = 3 to 5% (of days evaluated)
HSV Type 2 = 15 to 20% (of days evaluated)

In oral (mouth) infections:

HSV Type 1 = 18% (of days evaluated)
HSV Type 2 = 1 % (of days evaluated)

Thank you for the detailed info bro

mcmich

"Shedding does not equal infectiousness. As few as 10% of shedding episodes would have enough of the virus to infect. "

Really? So how come 60-70% of the world is infected? Everyone knows not to kiss, have sex, etc if you are breaking out.......If it was difficult to get infected the percentage of infected people would be so much lower.....but again...don't look up research, post links to back up your assertions...but must be true. Guess most of the world is just imagining they are infected....

If this was a difficult disease to catch the percentages of people infected that scientist are giving us must be way off.

And yes, HSV1 infections are well known problem in the wrestling community and contact sports. Again, if you show signs of infection you are not allowed to wrestle during an active outbreak. The link I posted even broke down where they were infected (in this study). 

Not saying a person should freak out, but at least be aware that it is possible. Check for any skin irritation, sore throat, flu like symptoms etc after contact with someone for the next week or so. Nothing wrong with being cautious and prudent. A high percent of people don't ever show infection, just become carriers......

Just google the studies, do your own research and weigh what you should do. Nothing wrong with checking, though most people become infected as kids from the parents or grand parents (for HSV1). You may already be infected and don't know it (think roughly 80% never show infection). The CDC does not recommend doing HSV test as part of a standard STI test. Also, unfortunately, the blood test has a high false positive rate (google that - going off of memory). I just get a bit irritated when people say stuff but don't back it up. Show the studies!!!!

Anyway I don't think anyone on this board is an actual HSV research scientist.  Find it is better to google and read the actual studies. I try to post the links to the information I have and then you can decide for yourself. Would love to be cured and hopeful it will happen. Everything is happening faster and see the pace of discoveries increasing, just as in technology.

Think China will get CRISPR out faster then US because they want to be the leaders in this area...among others....

WilsoInAus

Because it is all a function of exposure. How many kisses, lip chews etc. from mums, dads, aunties, uncles, other pre school kids, partner etc. does one accumulate in a lifetime.

This has all gone terribly off topic. It was summarised above. What are the chances of a fleeting nibble on the ear from a girl with nomactive cold sore? Zero to neglible.

To be non negligible a wrestle with Mike Tyson is required! 

Edited by WilsoInAus