World's Largest Herpes Support Group
StayingUpbeat

Betsy Herold Delta GD2 Vaccine Being Pursued by X-Vax

f*ckedOver

@Voyager2 Regarding the trivalent vaccine from the University of Penn, I reached out to one of the researchers about 2 weeks ago.  They now believe they will not have human trials begin for another " 3-5 years at best".  So I would keep our fingers crossed for others.   I was informed that securing investors is actually extremely difficult given the history of failed vaccines and such regarding HSV.  Another big factor is the fact that most people are asymptomatic and that other vaccines are of more importance to the medical world.  Another researcher from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln ( researching other viruses, told me that a Universal Flu Vaccine is at the top of the list even over HIV).....just to put it into perspective. 

vzhe
6 minutes ago, f*ckedOver said:

@Voyager2 Regarding the trivalent vaccine from the University of Penn, I reached out to one of the researchers about 2 weeks ago.  They now believe they will not have human trials begin for another " 3-5 years at best".  So I would keep our fingers crossed for others.   I was informed that securing investors is actually extremely difficult given the history of failed vaccines and such regarding HSV.  Another big factor is the fact that most people are asymptomatic and that other vaccines are of more importance to the medical world.  Another researcher from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln ( researching other viruses, told me that a Universal Flu Vaccine is at the top of the list even over HIV).....just to put it into perspective. 

I seriously think Halford getting the funding was why Einstein got funding now. AuRX (http://www.aurx.com/main.htm) never got funding because no one was touching live attenuated vaccines before Halford got big name investors on board with his overseas study.

Freefalling87

@MikeHerp do you think you can get a fundraiser campaign started for this group as well? Won't hurt to pursue various research institutes for a functional cure!

MikeHerp
1 hour ago, f*ckedOver said:

The below is what I got directly from Friedman on January 21.

They also published another paper on it in January 2019.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30551986

Their research was funded with NIH money at least through January 2019. And that research included things like optimizing doses of antigens, comparing the vaccine against single or double antigens, and doing various things to try to ensure that the animal studies translate to human trials.  http://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-AI104854-05

I don't really know for sure when and if they will start trials, investor funding will be key. 

But it definitely seems they might be getting closer to trials.  It seems they are still actively working on this.

From: "FRIEDMAN, HARVEY" <hfriedma@pennmedicine.upenn.edu>
To:  Mike
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: [External] re: trivalent vaccine

Dear Mike,

We are closer to human trials. We hope to be in humans by the end of this year. It is likely that our vaccine will be aimed at preventing HSV infection. Our efforts to use the vaccine as treatment for people already infected is moving forward but at a slower pace.

Harvey M. Friedman, MD

Professor of Medicine/Infectious Diseases

522E Johnson Pavilion

3610 Hamilton Walk

University of Pennsylvania

Philadelphia, PA 19104-6073

Phone: 215 573 8432

Fax: 215 349 5111

Email: hfriedma@pennmedicine.upenn.edu

Note that email address is new!

-- 

Reply-To: Mike
Date: Monday, January 21, 2019 at 4:39 AM
To: "FRIEDMAN, HARVEY" <hfriedma@pennmedicine.upenn.edu>
Subject: [External] re: trivalent vaccine

Dear Professor Friedman,

I saw your January new study on your trivalent hepres vaccine.

A lot of peopl were pretty excited when thye vaccine started to hit the news a couple of years ago.

I wonder whether you're any closer to bringing it to human trials.  Any update would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Mike

ps.  Many people really appreciate the work that you have done.

MikeHerp
23 minutes ago, Freefalling87 said:

@MikeHerp do you think you can get a fundraiser campaign started for this group as well? Won't hurt to pursue various research institutes for a functional cure!

Possibly.  But I'm currently focusing on the Fred Hutch effort. 

In my view, the Friedman vaccine is closer to human trials (as evidenced by what I posted above), so it's less likely to benefit from private donations which may be best for basic research.  I think what they will need next is big seed money to start human trials, and that would require $10+ million at least to get that going.  That requires big institutional investors, we probably can't raise that kind of money easily.

That's just my view.  I think Friedman has a chance and I like his idea which aims to improve on the failed simple glycoprotein vaccine efforts. To me, it sounds very compelling. 

I do agree though, that it's important that multiple ideas are pursued simultaneously.  Getting as many shots on goal is important.  I've been focusing on the Fred Hutch efforts not necessarily because I think that's the only way to success. 

At the end of this article, they talk about how all these ideas are not exclusive, but rather compleimentary.  Gene editing could end up being a cure or partial cure, while a prophylactic vaccine might prevent transmissions. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-we-gene-edit-herpes-away-180968551/  Having both would be ideal.

Edited by MikeHerp

Voyager2

Dr. Halford gambled due to his circumstances and our plight and did finally force the issue into the open. When we suffer in silence, we are out of sight, out of mind.

I hope at least one of these vaccines gets fast tracked due to performing perfectly in the clinic and somehow makes it to market in roughly 5 years. Incredible how long we have waited!

Miss Horne
13 hours ago, Freefalling87 said:

This is just my opinion for what it’s worth (probably not much) but I doubt that many people would be interested in donating towards a prophylactic vaccine. I personally think people in general don’t think or care about HSV until they actually get it and once they do the only thing they then want is a cure. 

I’ve read several articles about this proposed vaccine and my understanding is that they are aiming for a prophylactic vaccine and a therapeutic one would be a bonus but they are not necessarily working towards that. If I’m wrong then the more knowledgeable members on this forum can correct me. 

But if others want to set up a fundraiser campaign then I’m sure there would be some people out there willing to donate and support the cause.  Can’t hurt to try! 

Edited by Miss Horne

vzhe
6 hours ago, Miss Horne said:

This is just my opinion for what it’s worth (probably not much) but I doubt that many people would be interested in donating towards a prophylactic vaccine. I personally think people in general don’t think or care about HSV until they actually get it and once they do the only thing they then want is a cure. 

I’ve read several articles about this proposed vaccine and my understanding is that they are aiming for a prophylactic vaccine and a therapeutic one would be a bonus but they are not necessarily working towards that. If I’m wrong then the more knowledgeable members on this forum can correct me. 

But if others want to set up a fundraiser campaign then I’m sure there would be some people out there willing to donate and support the cause.  Can’t hurt to try! 

I'd pay significantly more for a prophylactic vaccine. I don't care about my own symptoms, I care about being able to spread it.

jeraldpeabody

yeah, i agree. if you can vaccinate people against getting it in the first place then hopefully the whole virus will just stop existing over time. If I was vaccinated i wouldn't have it now!!  Of course, that's not great news for people like us that have to deal with these horrible symptoms, but at least it means people will care less about thinking they can catch it from us. Then over time they'll develop a therapeutic vaccine that will basically help us with symptoms. Anything is better than nothing IMHO :D

vzhe
7 hours ago, jeraldpeabody said:

yeah, i agree. if you can vaccinate people against getting it in the first place then hopefully the whole virus will just stop existing over time. If I was vaccinated i wouldn't have it now!!  Of course, that's not great news for people like us that have to deal with these horrible symptoms, but at least it means people will care less about thinking they can catch it from us. Then over time they'll develop a therapeutic vaccine that will basically help us with symptoms. Anything is better than nothing IMHO :D

Taking daily amenamevir + valacyclovir/famciclovir I am symptom free. Not everyone is so lucky, but better antivirals will do a lot. Pritelivir is coming soon too. CRISPR in dev too. The single most important part missing is a prophylactic vaccine.

Edited by vzhe

IloveCoco
37 minutes ago, vzhe said:

Taking daily amenamevir + valacyclovir/famciclovir I am symptom free. Not everyone is so lucky, but better antivirals will do a lot. Pritelivir is coming soon too. CRISPR in dev too. The single most important part missing is a prophylactic vaccine.

where can i buy amenamevir??

@lw@ys
5 hours ago, IloveCoco said:

where can i buy amenamevir??

It's not cheap but from what I understand it is very worth it, It's official name for market is Amenalief:

AMENALIEF

IloveCoco
31 minutes ago, @lw@ys said:

It's not cheap but from what I understand it is very worth it, It's official name for market is Amenalief:

AMENALIEF

Oh, so you haven't tried it?

jeraldpeabody

Does anyone have a contact at X-VAX at all in terms of getting regular updates about what they're doing? Also, do you think they know about these kinds of forums and communities on facebook? I'm so eager to hear what progress they're making with it.

Cas9
28 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

Does anyone have a contact at X-VAX at all in terms of getting regular updates about what they're doing? Also, do you think they know about these kinds of forums and communities on facebook? I'm so eager to hear what progress they're making with it.

Companies don't send out "regular updates"

Cas9
55 minutes ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@Cas9 Thanks for the really helpful response

What were you expecting? What I said is true.

On the other hand, a company can have a pipeline on their website, showing their progress. It is there for you(or anyone) to observe.

When it comes to drugs, don't expect regular updates. The pipeline only gets updated as needed. And it can be several months to years to see any change in the pipeline.

Is this a better answer for you?

Edited by Cas9

Tired of waiting

The X-VAD website does have an email subscription, so that you may receive updates from them directly.

Cas9
31 minutes ago, Tired of waiting said:

The X-VAD website does have an email subscription, so that you may receive updates from them directly.

Edited by Cas9

Cas9
32 minutes ago, Tired of waiting said:

@jeraldpeabody

OK, I visited their website. Here's where to go to subscribe.
https://x-vax.com/#science    And scroll to the very bottom of the page.

Whether they provide more regular updates and detail than the pipeline, I don't know. But I doubt you will be getting regular (e.g. monthly) updates on the progress of the vaccine.

BTW, just above where it says to subscribe, you'll see a section called Roadmap and a link in that section called "More about our pipeline"

Edited by Cas9

dont quit!17
14 hours ago, jeraldpeabody said:

@Cas9 Thanks for the really helpful response

I hear you, the old man is opinionated.