World's Largest Herpes Support Group
J0494

HSV1 reoccurrence questions

J0494

Hi I’m new here. It’s hard to talk to people about this topic especially people who can’t relate because they have never had an outbreak, so I found this forum. 

6 years ago I was diagnosed with HSV1 but on my genitals. My doctor said someone with a cold sore on their mouth could have given me it down there. I was very very young when I found out and it devastated me. I felt disgusting, worthless and depressed for a little while. I was given Acyclovir 400 mg to take once a day or whenever I had outbreaks. 

The first year of course was the worst and more frequent of outbreaks. As the years went on I rarely got them. Sometimes I forget I even have this virus. Well it’s been almost 2 years without a flare up and I just got one the other day. The pain, the burning, the emotional stress is pure hell. I’m looking to see if anyone has any tips to help heal a flare up fast, and to help keep it away. I put tea tree essential oil on twice a day and it seems to relive the pain. Any suggestions? Like I said, it’s been a long time since it’s occured so I completely forget what to do. 

My boyfriend knows about this and is supportive but I’m worried I might give it to him. Does anyone have any tips how they refrain giving it to their significant other? How long should I wait to have sex again after the outbreak is cleared? I’d hate to give him this. 

Any tips or guidance will be really helpful and appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Goddess420

Hey girl, 

My situation sounds the same as yours. 6 years ago I got hsv1 on my vag from my BF at the time going down on me. Thanks a lot. First OB was hell. Then the first year I got multiple outbreaks, but got on meds and kinda figured out how to handle it. Now it’s been years and I really never break out. Sometimes I was feeling like something might be coming, but I would just take the antiviral pills and it would disappear. It never surfaced and became a full on blister. Like you, I almost forgot I even had it. 

Then 4 days ago I started getting this cluster of bumps. Thought it was ingrowns but it turned into open wounds and blisters. Now it’s spread and I’m getting a couple more, it’s a full blown outbreak and huge. In 3 different areas. I’m honestly shocked and have no idea what triggered this or why. I’m not sick or stressed. I’m so so confused and scared and worried that I somehow have hsv2 now as well, because this feels like an initial outbreak all over again. 

When you have “flare ups” what are they like? Do you get clusters and multiple blisters? Or is it only in one spot and always the same spot? I haven’t had this happen in literally years so I have also forgotten what to do. 

Good thing I’m not dating anyone right now because I would be out of commission to have sex for weeks, I can tell this is going to take a long time to heal. 

Tulip79
4 hours ago, Goddess420 said:

Hey girl, 

My situation sounds the same as yours. 6 years ago I got hsv1 on my vag from my BF at the time going down on me. Thanks a lot. First OB was hell. Then the first year I got multiple outbreaks, but got on meds and kinda figured out how to handle it. Now it’s been years and I really never break out. Sometimes I was feeling like something might be coming, but I would just take the antiviral pills and it would disappear. It never surfaced and became a full on blister. Like you, I almost forgot I even had it. 

Then 4 days ago I started getting this cluster of bumps. Thought it was ingrowns but it turned into open wounds and blisters. Now it’s spread and I’m getting a couple more, it’s a full blown outbreak and huge. In 3 different areas. I’m honestly shocked and have no idea what triggered this or why. I’m not sick or stressed. I’m so so confused and scared and worried that I somehow have hsv2 now as well, because this feels like an initial outbreak all over again. 

When you have “flare ups” what are they like? Do you get clusters and multiple blisters? Or is it only in one spot and always the same spot? I haven’t had this happen in literally years so I have also forgotten what to do. 

Good thing I’m not dating anyone right now because I would be out of commission to have sex for weeks, I can tell this is going to take a long time to heal. 

Are you going through alot of stress or something?  What has changed recently?

Goddess420

No I am not! It’s so strange. I am not sick or stressed. Nothing has changed. I am on accutane, but I have already been on it for 3 months and haven’t had any break outs. If something similar has happened to any one else please let me know. 

Tulip79

I have not had a similar experience, but hopefully someone else here can add to the conversation.  I did read on another post where someone was having problems after they started taking Prednisone.

LightafterDarkness

On the question of protecting others:

Per Terri Warren recent research suggests that ghsv1 shedding drops sharply after year 1. Everybody is different of course so read these numbers as a guide but you have to imagine that protection and meds decrease these percentages further (not to mention that if your partner already has oral hsv than they are inoculated already) 

"Shedding at 3 months out is 7% and at 2 years 1.3%... so you are shedding ~4-5 days out of the year"

https://westoverheights.com/forum/question/ghsv1-and-panicked/