World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
viralfrog

5-HTP Supplement Potential Cause for Herpes Outbreaks?

viralfrog

Hey guys, 

Long story short, I caught HSV-2 around 4 years ago as some of you might've read on my posts. Around one year ago, my outbreaks became into one non-stop outbreak and won't stop since. I'm feeling terrible every day for almost a year now. You can read my story below, but this thread is about 5-HTP and it's possible proviral effects.  

I posted this thread because I just looked at my calendar and noticed I started using the 5-HTP supplement just around the time that my symptoms turned terrible. I've been using 100mg every day since to help with sleeping problems and reduce associated depression from constant lethargy and stress. I thought there might be some others in the same boat, as I can imagine lots of people get depressed from Herpes and 5-HTP is a popular supplement that comes up. 

Since my symptoms got worse at that time, I started researching whether this supplement could be the cause (which I highly doubted). However, I recently came across a study that says 5-HTP is in fact proviral. This is where I thought, damn, I must be onto something! 

"5-Hydroxytryptophan, a major product of tryptophan degradation, is essential for optimal replication of human parainfluenza virus"

"An alternative pathway produces 5-hydroxytryptophan, and we find it as proviral."

"Here, we show that 5-hydoxytryptophan (5-HTP), the first product of an alternative branch of Trp degradation and a serotonin precursor, is essential to protect virus growth against IDO in cell culture."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042682217300156

After reading this, I stopped using the supplement immediately. At first I noticed my outbreak finished for a day for the first time and was amazed. However, it was false hope as the OBs continued like normal after. A few days ago, I started taking the supplement again (as I assumed it wasn't that causing my OBs) and today I got the worst OB I've had for weeks. Could this drug have such a long effect on my body that I need to be off it for a longer period? Perhaps, so I will be stopping it again and letting you know how it goes.

Any feedback / comments appreciated. 

Tired of waiting

Im not a chemist but I think I read somewhere that depending on the compounds it could  take a while to have it metabolized out of your system. I would look for going at least  10-15 (maybe longer) days to make a conclusion as to if 5-HTP is driving OB issue. 

just my 2Cents

Best to you.

viralfrog
38 minutes ago, Tired of waiting said:

Im not a chemist but I think I read somewhere that depending on the compounds it could  take a while to have it metabolized out of your system. I would look for going at least  10-15 (maybe longer) days to make a conclusion as to if 5-HTP is driving OB issue. 

just my 2Cents

Best to you.

Thanks. I will stop it completely now for at least a month to try and see. 

LovedAnyway

And, have you considered St. John’s wort for depression? Niacin? St. John’s wort is also antiviral.  

viralfrog
On 2/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, LovedAnyway said:

And, have you considered St. John’s wort for depression? Niacin? St. John’s wort is also antiviral.  

I haven't tried any of those, will add to the list of substances to test. 

MJB2

Gelatin is very high in arginine, which causes viruses to replicate.  Are they gelatin capsules?