World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Mona8787

Pregnant and stressing

Mona8787

Dear friends,

I am currently in my first trimester of pregnancy and have been diagnosed with a swab ghsv1. I'm so worried about delivery. What of they miss 1 blister and I go through vaginal delivery and baby gets infected. Can anyone let me know what the procedure or routine is? This not my first baby but previous pregnancies I was negative. My first outbreak was before this pregnancy by a year or so.

So stressed out and scared. Thank you for hearing me out.

WilsoInAus

Hey @Mona8787 the important thing to note is that as many as 1 in 5 babies born this very day are to mothers with genital HSV

In the scheme of things related to pregnancy, this is a minor concern and one with a few management issues.

Sorak with your doctor about your options. They include options such as taking antivirals for the last few weeks and c-sections. Working openly with your doctor will guide you to a safe delivery.

Mona8787

Thank you for your reply Wilson, you are always there us memebers. I'm wondering if I want to opt for c-section would they in Australia offer it to me due to my anxiety and stress or would they put me on antivirals instead and force me into vaginal delivery. I'm just after women who has been in that experience. 

WilsoInAus

@Mona8787 it is all your choice. 

I feel thought that you should look into all risks associated with vaginal and c-section deliveries as guided by your doctor.

in the end, the choice is yours.

Mona8787

Thank you :-)

I really do hope I have a choice. 

Thank you Wilson for your quick response. 

optimistic251985

Hi Wilson,

So if someone is infected  around 2 months before conceiving and wanted a natural birth is it still possible to not infected the baby while delivering even though u have viral shedding as the antibodies were already passed to the body while in womb and this way the baby will not get herpes and will be healthy.

can you please suggest and guide.

Ashia

Yes you most definitely CAN have a vaginal birth under those circumstances. Just inform your OBGYN and he or she can give you the appropriate meds, to lower your chance of passing the infection on to your baby. 

optimistic251985

Many thanks Ashia for your response.

Li2019
On 3/8/2019 at 8:24 PM, Mona8787 said:

Dear friends,

I am currently in my first trimester of pregnancy and have been diagnosed with a swab ghsv1. I'm so worried about delivery. What of they miss 1 blister and I go through vaginal delivery and baby gets infected. Can anyone let me know what the procedure or routine is? This not my first baby but previous pregnancies I was negative. My first outbreak was before this pregnancy by a year or so.

So stressed out and scared. Thank you for hearing me out.

Dear Mona8787,

I would like to know the indication of your doctor, because I am going through the same situation.

Thanks!

MissHope

Hey I have had two vaginal deliveries and both my babies were - and are - fine. 

I have Type II genital herpes.

I took suppressive anti viral meds daily for the last few weeks under guidance from my ObGyn.

Happy to answer any other questions! 

blurneworder
On 3/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @Mona8787 the important thing to note is that as many as 1 in 5 babies born this very day are to mothers with genital HSV

In the scheme of things related to pregnancy, this is a minor concern and one with a few management issues.

Sorak with your doctor about your options. They include options such as taking antivirals for the last few weeks and c-sections. Working openly with your doctor will guide you to a safe delivery.

Source for this information about 1 in 5?

WilsoInAus
6 hours ago, blurneworder said:

Source for this information about 1 in 5?

I was being conservative; many experts think it’s an even higher proportion.

See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2780322/

According to Corey and Wald

An estimated 30 to 65 percent of pregnant women in the U.S. have genital infection with herpes simplex virus (HSV)-1 or -2.