World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Franky26

CAS3

lennyblastoff

There's a post on here somewhere where they actually have a better gene editing tool that works more efficient. but yea search CRispr in the search bar this has been discussed

information seeker
Posted (edited)

Cas3 has Not been used successfully till now. I doing more research into it. But Cas3 seems promising, for treating viral infections. I don't know how safe it would be on a human genome. But for virus like herpes I say it probably great option.

Edited by information seeker

floydmonk

This is trending in the news today, a great find. Here's a Cornell University Article explaining it in lamens terms. CRISPR-Cas3 innovation holds promise for disease cures, advancing science | Cornell Chronicle http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2019/04/crispr-cas3-innovation-holds-promise-disease-cures-advancing-science

MikeHerp
On 4/13/2019 at 9:10 AM, lennyblastoff said:

There's a post on here somewhere where they actually have a better gene editing tool that works more efficient. but yea search CRispr in the search bar this has been discussed

Yep, meganucleases are further along in being able to cure herpes.  

https://youtu.be/bn3idMX9x1c

Though this CRISPR-Cas3 also underlines that gene editing will definitely be the technology that gets us past the cure finishing line.  Gene editors are able to edit DNA and latent DNA viruses like herpes, are a natural target for it. 

I think Dr. Jerome will be the one that gets us to it, but it's good that others are looking at it as well using other techniques.  

Evaluate

I haven't read the paper, but this piece seems to lend that this research has a long way to go:

While CRISPR-Cas3 holds the potential for a more impactful genome-editing tool than CRISPR-Cas9, the researchers are working to control how long a section they delete. "We can't quite define the deletion boundaries precisely, and that is a shortcoming when it comes to therapeutics," Ke said.

Current research with Cas9 seems to be precise (which could be viewed as more safe), but not yet effective for HSV.  Not controlling DNA deletion is a big hurdle to get into clinical trials as no one wants DNA deletion mishaps.

Thanks for sharing.

floydmonk

I think its likely Keith Jerome will have this in his lab being tested within the next year. They've been rapidly prototyping many combinations of editing tools and delivery vectors over the past two years and are seeing selectively good results 

Inevitablecur3

So it looks like multiple synthetic viral vectors will be administered as a single dose? I wonder if multiple doses would be possible or not because it may be toxic to the cells

information seeker

They, are testing it in mice already, so I would say toxicity is not a problem. Otherwise it would hit a dead end now

Inevitablecur3

It’s good to have ppl to discuss this with :). I guess the major hurdle now is getting whatever viral vector or delivery means to achieve 100% transfection right?

Cas9
9 hours ago, Inevitablecur3 said:

So it looks like multiple synthetic viral vectors will be administered as a single dose? I wonder if multiple doses would be possible or not because it may be toxic to the cells

I don't think the viral vectors are synthetic; they are natural.

The choice is to deliver them in one dose. I think a main reason for that (as specified in the video) is because after the body initially sees a viral vector, it will generate an immune response. This is not good if we then try to administer subsequent doses of the same viral vector since the immune system will destroy them. That said, there would likely be a workaround for that situation, but of course it would be easier to avoid the issue in the first place. I don't think there have ever been any "toxicity" issues with gene editing. The issue has more to do with whether the editor does something to the viral dna that will make the virus worse OR if the editor somehow edited the neuron's dna. So far nothing like that has occurred.

Inevitablecur3
Posted (edited)

Do you think it’s possible they can get a vector to hit 100% of the neurons infected? I wonder if they use immune suppression drugs could that make the delivery of the gene editing reach 100%

Edited by Inevitablecur3

information seeker
16 hours ago, Inevitablecur3 said:

Do you think it’s possible they can get a vector to hit 100% of the neurons infected? I wonder if they use immune suppression drugs could that make the delivery of the gene editing reach 100%

I don't think it possible in one treatment, I think multiple treatment for sure. It also depends on tools you use