World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Exceeder

Can't drink beer? SAY IT AINT SO!

Exceeder

I was diagnosed about three weeks ago, and my outbreaks appear to heal up on a weekly basis...

Until Friday, where I have a few beers.

I take 1000mg Valtrex, 2500mg Lysine, 2500mg Vitamin C on a daily basis...

But having beer causes all the healing to go away, and I am left in the same condition I was the weekend before.

This occurs with only two beers on a Friday night!

Please tell me that I can still drink some freaking beers without my genitals turning into wet, contagious virus factories...

Exceeder

OK...so beer apparently is a no-no beverage when you have herpes, or at least when you are likely to have an outbreak.

Its full of arginine...

Anyone have problems with wine?

Justdesserts

Well I had a heavy night drinking beer on Sat and have not noticed any worsening of my symptoms , the last blister looks like its nearly gone.

I am on about the fourth day of taking Aciclovir . I have three months worth as I am travelling overseas soon and want to supress any symptoms while partying.

I really hope I dont have to give up beer as I hate wine and cannot handle much spirits.

bristolgal

I drink beer wine cider spirits inc sambuca and any other nastys people can think of, and I'm NORMALLY fine

HOWEVER

3 TIMES after a heavy LAGER binge (8 pints plus or minus 2) I've had an ob. (was drinking stella and fosters in case some lagers are worse than others)

catiesmom

I haven't had a problem with wine or beer. But triggers are different for everyone. If yours is beer.... yours is beer.

outrageous07

There's an article under the Herpes Treatment Zone section about Reservatrol which is a substance found in red grapes. When I looked into it I was able to find some articles implying that drinking red wine is a good way to get the Reservatrol... So if you could bare to switch from beer to red wine, it might actually help you heal faster!

Exceeder
There's an article under the Herpes Treatment Zone section about Reservatrol which is a substance found in red grapes. When I looked into it I was able to find some articles implying that drinking red wine is a good way to get the Reservatrol... So if you could bare to switch from beer to red wine, it might actually help you heal faster!

I could definitely bear that :D

I believe wine is also "relatively" high in arginine, but beer appears to really cause OBs...

I'll try wine this weekend and keep everyone posted on that current status of my crotch.

Bea

Hmmm.... I have been drinking beer. Even during OB and it does not seem to make any difference one way or the other. I just finished an OB and drank beer. It does not seem to be causing any problem.

I am also taking a ton of suppliments. It seems to be helping. The OB lasted only a couple days, even though it felt like a large and painful OB. Plus the suppliments make me feel good in general. More healthy, more energetic too.

(B complex, C, L-Lysine, Echanacea, valtrex and olive leaf)

ArizonaLove

maybe it will change

You haven't been diagnosed that long. When I first got it I had OB's like weekly as well. I however killed my pain in beer and shots and the time, so I didn't notice if it made things worse or not. After a few months, my body got used to it and my breakouts got way less. So maybe when your body gets used to having it you could drink again...

We can wish, right?

quicksilver

i find there are times where i can drink beer and be fine.all summer i was having 8-12 on weekends and be fine

but lately i can have 1 or 2 and suddenly start to feel the itch

VVK

Effects of poor diet can show over time. For example, with B-12 deficiency you don't see the effects for months. Then all hell breaks loose. Likewise, with alcohol, you are decreasing your body's ability to absorb nutrients. As your body's stockpiles are worn down, you will start showing weaknesses in immune response and other symptoms of health decline. So, drinking a lot of booze over time can deal damage that will show later regardless of whether or not you cut down. You have to regenerate your health over several months.

simong
OK...so beer apparently is a no-no beverage when you have herpes, or at least when you are likely to have an outbreak.

Its full of arginine...

Anyone have problems with wine?

I can drink as much beer as i want, same with spirits.

But when i had glass of wine, next day i get an OB.

So im never going to drink wine again.

ginnyp

Well it figures. I feel good for a couple days and then feel the tingle. Then the next day it's gone, then it comes right back. And it is probably from all the beer I drink. My brother bought a bar back in September and I drink for FREE now, so the amount of beer I drink has been increased, to say the least. I have been worrying about cutting down, because my life revolves around that bar. All my friends go there, my brother is always there so when I want to see him I go there, and my bf and I hang out there all the time. I am on the dart league. The bar is beer and wine only.

I LOVE red wine, BUT lately red wine is causing me to not remember everything. I believe that is because of some of my meds for my autoimmune disorder. I also have fibromyalgia and have to take sleeping pills in order to get enough sleep. So maybe I'll have to try my red wine again, it is so hard to drink red wine slowly during dart league! Well I'll keep taking my supplements and daily suppression, and reduce my alcohol and see if I have more good days than I do now...

catiesmom

Ginny, can you have maybe 1 glass of wine, then switch to water?

It really does suck that you have to alter your life for this, but it might be for the better. Do you really WANT to drink all that beer?!

ginnyp

Well no, I don't really want to drink all that beer. I could drink a couple glasses of wine and then stop. It's just hard when the dart league is going for a few hours and everybody is having such a great time. And I have to sit there and just watch. I've done it before, I've stopped drinking completely for a while. But I hate that I have to completely change my life around and everyone else just gets to go on as usual. I feel like EVERYTHING is changing. I already gave up caffeine 100%, don't eat chocolate anymore, and eat white bread instead of whole wheat. Now my fun nights will change too, I'm just a little depressed at everything I have to change. :(

catiesmom

I can totally feel you on that one. But HSV has a tendency to make good changes too. I've started eating SOO much better, and i think the positive changes i've made for me are going to be passed to my daughter too. It sucks to have this, and it's changed EVERYTHING, but not everything changed for the worse.

Just trying to keep some silver lining in there for ya! :)

ginnyp

Thanks catiesmom, you're making me feel better already. I also need to start eating better, going to bed earlier, and probably fix lots of other things. And I do want to have a child someday, so changing now rather than waiting will probably be a good idea. Still sucks though. ;)

eatyourveggies

my 2 cents

Drinking while taking any sort of meds, especially multiple kinds at once is just doing triple damage to your liver (the alcohol and meds alone are ruining your liver, put them together and it's even worse!)!

And white bread is not good for you! If you aren't going to eat wheat bread then don't eat bread at all. And if you aren't sure that wheat is a trigger for you then you don't have to stop eating it, moderation is key.

I think what is wrong with alcohol in general is that it is acid-forming and full of sugar (also acid forming). If your diet is full of acid-forming foods then that is going to cause OB along with other dis-ease.

For the love of all that is holy, the acid/alkaline diet works. If everyone would just change their diet you could see results in all parts of your life. And, once you feel good it won't be worth the pain.

jmbama

I went out last night to the bar I used to work at, and had TEQUILA!!!! I'm so damn excited about that, lol. I don't get out much, obviously. Anyone know if tequila causes anything?

skydreams

Ginny, are you sure that wheat bread triggers OBs for you? You don't need to stop eating everything that has been listed to trigger OBs for people. Why not try a whole wheat turkey sammich when you're OB-free and watch for a tingle?

If it does, may I suggest trying marble rye and potato bread? The only thing that I know for sure I need to stay from is oats. And let me tell you, I LOVE milky, sugary oatmeal and warm honey oat bread. However, I love not peeing on an open lesion more.

I know it really sucks to have to change things at all, most of the problems that come along with the stupid herpes are psychological. But if you focus on that, you'll never come to peace with it. It really does alter lifestyles for the better overall.

Shayna
I went out last night to the bar I used to work at, and had TEQUILA!!!! I'm so damn excited about that, lol. I don't get out much, obviously. Anyone know if tequila causes anything?

a hangover ;)

jmbama

LMAO!!! :lol: I hardly ever get hangovers! If I get a hangover, it makes my legs hurt, that's the only thing that happens. I didn't have THAT much tequila, just enough, lol.

leebee

So what I'm hearing is that you need to cancel out all the beer you drink with some red wine...DONE!

haha, kidding, kidding.

But seriously, what a cruel virus this is to make us deal with herpes depression and then say we can't drink alcohol? Screw that!

keepingthefaith

Not to ruin the wine thing but...

Well, I overdid it last Thursday night (drank a bottle of red--I can't stop until the bottle is gone, chatting on the phone, cleaning, etc) and on Friday, my sensitive area ripped open in the shower. Still can't tell if that counts as my second outbreak or if red wine has anything to do with it. Not really any other symptoms except unhappiness down there. Then this weekend, drank a bunch of the espresso vodka--that couldn't have helped either!!

Back to lots of milk and yogurt. YUM>