World's Largest Herpes Support Group
farnsworth

Realistically how far away is a cure?

farnsworth

Is it possible it's still a lifetime away?

It seems to be resolvable by reduction of reactivation or elimination of latent cells.

However there seems to be a lack of funding and awareness compared to aids

information seeker
Posted (edited)

I believe a cure should be available within 5 years, I Base this on animal trials currently being done. Results seem promising, since the are eliminating the virus with destroying host cell

Also there supposed to be clinical trial this year

Edited by information seeker

JHenry
8 minutes ago, information seeker said:

I believe a cure should be available within 5 years, I Base this on animal trials currently being done. Results seem promising, since the are eliminating the virus with destroying host cell

Info Seeker, Can you cite and particular clinical trials you are most optimistic about?   I would love to join in your enthusiasm.  Henry

farnsworth
37 minutes ago, information seeker said:

Five years would be the most optimistic but what about the worst case scenario

Let's assume all these trials fail, how many new novel unexplored methods are there that a continuous stream of trials in the next few decades would expose a viable cure?

Life is hell with herpes, it is essentially a latent immune trigger which leads to chronic activation and inflammation. I can't imagine this can be good and likely is related to do many health problems. 

Tired of waiting

The as is dogma of do no harm is ensuring we are no closer to than 5-10 years to get a vaccine or gene editing solution, also throw in another valaclycavir  phase of the moon study to distract people.  However, there could also be some wild cards that may still be played. China has a lot of effort being put into gene editing, and due to low barrier (cost) of entry to gene editing there may be more possibilities coming out of other non FDA controlled locations. The genie is out of the bottle just need to watch for developments as they happen., or if you are Bill Gate or Warren Buffet drop a little money into this research to a cure.

Please make sure you support the Fred Hutch (Jerome lab) research. http://engage.fredhutch.org/site/TR?px=1709211&fr_id=1574&pg=personal&fbclid=IwAR3VpQk1hyi0Kefoh399sKuPkPyWFAXbOm4QO7hXZFEQzOjiClqHBQpwLtM  every little bit (money, awareness) helps.

ManagingIllness

Given the lack of progress in the field, and the failure of recent vaccines, I think we are 10-20 years away.

farnsworth
1 hour ago, ManagingIllness said:

Given the lack of progress in the field, and the failure of recent vaccines, I think we are 10-20 years away.

I appreciate the realism you have. I think something like this as well. I am not really well versed in any of these fields but I think a breakthrough in AI in combination with CRIPSR could lead to cures in almost all known diseases.

I can deal with having herpes but the thing I am most concerned about is the risk for alzheimers. For me that seems to be enough incentive to be on valtrex permanently if it were not for the side effects. Hopefully by the time I get alzheimers there will be a cure.

Lakisha

I'm just hoping for pritelivir to do good in phase 2 and 3 so it can come on the market as soon as possible!

Newone2

I’m seriously hoping crispr wipes out hsv in 10 years. I’m fairly sure it will happen in my lifetime being I’m only in my thirty’s. I just hope it’s not when I’m 70 and unable to enjoy my life again. I refuse to be a piece of shit and pass this on to anyone so it’s strictly carriers of hsv1 for me until the day comes when we can have our lives back. 

ManagingIllness

@farnsworth The causal link to Alzheimer's, if it proves to be true, is for HSV1, which is different enough from HSV2 to make solving one not equal solving the other.

@Newone2 CRISPR will likely have to solve one nucleotide disease (like sickle cell anemia) before it begins to be used in humans on viruses. So keep an eye out for that research first. It hasn't been done in humans yet, so we are still some ways off. HIV, cancer, and balding have all been researched for quite some time to no avail. I think we're more likely 20 years away from what I see. Still, I am crossing my fingers. A therapeutic vaccine could come out before then... maybe

Yodda

Hello, 

Sorry to tell you that, but I don't think there will be a cure. Or perhaps only by luck...and even they will never make it happen:

1/ if they had in the past 10 years try to find one (cure) it is because of HIV (coinfection high risk).

Know that HIV is controlled by medications (and medicines are generics now, cheaper. ..), and also, more we proved the efficiency of Prep ( pre-exposure prophylaxis).the next step is to make a 90% of scanning the population and if all detected HiV is treated we will stop the disease in let's say 25 years. 

2/ for most doctors it is a benigne disease, 80% never express it (asymptomatic..), and in the 20% others 70%-80% responded well to the acyclovir (very cheap treatment..)

1+2 it is not a priority, and who will put lot of money for hard to treat virus like herpes? (For 10% of the unlucky ones), and why government will help? To reimburse a new expensive treatment for the 10% unlucky who have symptoms ???

One of our hope is the story of links between H and alzheimer...and even this they are saying that acyclovir should help?

What is the reasons that will push and make the priority to look after a cure?

Kurdt01

In ten years people will be coming to this forum asking the same question and everyone will say 5-10 years haha.

I know that because I was on this forum 10 years ago. Everything from then has now came and went...it's sad, but I wouldn't hold your breath. 

JHenry

Does anyone believe there are companies, laboratories, etc. that are quietly, unbeknownst to the rest of the world,  working in the background, behind the curtain on a cure/functional cure?   If so, perhaps they are having great success, but being cautious before launching into clinical trials?  Is this a possibility?

Just thinking positively outside of the box,

JHenry

brookeb300

Excision Bio is working on curing viruses.

information seeker

Do any of you guys actually understand the science behind this research and how it works at the bio chemical level. I can tell you I understand this stuff very well, you guy got to stop looking for everything that just say cure. Gene editing is more of tool than medicine. Also head up it's a lack will to apply this technology to people. There are always ways to fix something but there are two factors cost and effectiveness. Example you can cure aids, but the treatment cost alot and good luck finding bone marrow donor for the treatment, and it also a bit risky. It already been proven to work. Also the failed aids treatment were cause by a different strain, that does not use ccr5 to gain entry. 

But herpes is currently curable, but it cost alot and is ineffective. For example Jerome labs is able to remove more than 50% of the virus. So if you were to currently to use multiple treatment over extended period of time you would be cured. If you have enough money just find some clinic to replicate a treatment, but none of you got 30 million to blow and willing to enter the underworld of medicine.  I am not talking about fake ozone treatment.

I can't believe people believe that garbage. Introducing free radical in the body is dangerous and stupid. 

So my point here is actually read some scientific articles before commenting something is 20 years away.

Not every solutions is FDA approved

Lastly, if you knew how much money is in this feild you would know why alot of companies are not releasing data or research. Like no one knew about the CRISPR babies over the whole procedure. Don't forget companies in the pharmaceutical industry don't disclose there research till they have a patent.

Gene editing entering a stage where it will change everything, it is entering the application stage. Say hello to decades of research, study and application.

Oh forgot to mention there no way to cure viral infections without Gene editing, the only other option is decades away, and it is nano technology

Anyways, I am done explaining stuff to people. I have my companies to run.

I will be cure within 3 years, no matter what. Because I make shit happen, I put effort into everything I god dam do, and why I make 4.8 million a year.

So good luck to you guys. I am done, I am not responding to anyone anymore! Kindness just doesn't pay enough

Cas9
3 hours ago, Kurdt01 said:

In ten years people will be coming to this forum asking the same question and everyone will say 5-10 years haha.

I know that because I was on this forum 10 years ago. Everything from then has now came and went...it's sad, but I wouldn't hold your breath. 

You know that? So this pattern you describe you think will go on forever?; i.e. they'll never find a cure?

Silly comment by you

luisjk
Posted (edited)

minha vida sexual jogada fora, rejeição da solidão de décadas, nada mudou só mimimi .Nem as drogas que podemos controlar como acontecer com o hiv não se enganam a cura é longe demais.

Edited by luisjk

Tired of waiting
Posted (edited)

@information seeker. I believe you are correct in your assertions. There is a cure presently available right now from Keith Jerome and soon others with come forth with their own.  The problem I see in the U.S. is the FDA, Bioethics and the litigious nature of medicine,  forcing the dogma of testing, testing and retesting on various animal models. As this is not a vaccine but a tool to remove the virus the extra animal models are not needed (IMO) and with proper informed consent ( I would actually pay to be in the first treatments)  we could be into human treatment now!  I expect Jerome's work will most likely be misappropriated by a foreign nation and could be available from those venues in the not to distant future. Even with sercrecy enough of this info is published for another country( or company) to copy and push forward with a solution quicker than can be approved in the U.S..

Sounds like you might have access and means for such an endeavor, if so best of luck and if it works out  please consider throwing a life line back to us. 

Thanks

Edited by Tired of waiting

IcantThinkofaName
6 hours ago, information seeker said:

But herpes is currently curable, but it cost alot and is ineffective. For example Jerome labs is able to remove more than 50% of the virus. So if you were to currently to use multiple treatment over extended period of time you would be cured. If you have enough money just find some clinic to replicate a treatment, but none of you got 30 million to blow and willing to enter the underworld of medicine.  I am not talking about fake ozone treatment.

if every person who has HSV 1 & 2 donated $5 or 10 there would be enough to fund research and cure it. BUt everyone is either too embarrassed to admit the have it, others don't know they have it because Drs don't do or refuse to do reliable testing for it, and the others aren't sure to whom to donate to (which researcher has a real shot at the cure).

farnsworth

I think even a reduction of latent viruses by 50% could me a massive breakthrough. This would turn this into a very annoying regular occurrence to some people into maybe some mild tingly that could be mistaken for normal body events.

So here is hoping something like that happens because I would be willing to pay a couple dozen grand if so.

BioHacker
Posted (edited)

Define "cure." If you mean full elimination of all latent virus, then I'd say probably that could be possible in 30 years or so. It's hard to predict that far out, but gene editing would need to cure a bunch of other diseases first, be proven safe in widespread human use, before it might then be approved for use in humans to treat less serious chronic conditions (i.e. not cancer, deadly virus, or genetic illness). In less regulated places like China, maybe they do it sooner. Gene editing to treat HSV might come before or after commercialized gene editing for elective cosmetic or performance enhancement reasons - hard to say - but eventually it will probably happen. The risk would have to be near zero for it to ever get US approval.

If you mean "functional cure," like a therapeutic vaccine effective enough to eliminate 90% of symptoms and viral shedding (plus work as a preventative), then that could happen sooner. The technology and materials, and probable working formulations, already exist - and have been tested in animal models. In humans the separate components have been tested recently in treating cancer and other diseases. If you assume that HSV research lags cancer research by about a decade or so (probably a fair assumption), then advanced therapeutic HSV vaccines using cancer-level vaccine technology (capable of triggering interferon response and significant numbers of CD8+ T Cells, etc.) could begin human testing in 10 years or so. In China, maybe it could be tomorrow. And maybe it could be commercialized about 5-10 years after human testing begins. So, maybe 5-20 years away? 5-10 years if in China, or 15-20 years if in the US.

It will happen someday for sure, it's just hard to say when.

Edited by BioHacker

infoguy123
18 hours ago, information seeker said:

I will be cure within 3 years, no matter what. Because I make shit happen, I put effort into everything I god dam do, and why I make 4.8 million a year.

I know you said no more replies, but just hoping you'd clarify your last one. When you say "i will be cured in 3 years", Do you mean that you will get cured in an expensive, long way around, bone marrow type of way. Or, that when you finally do the thing that cures you, it will be something that can be copied by the average person??

Inevitablecur3

I would say within ten years or less. The Jerome lab at Fred Hutch is funded by the NIH and I really think that is where it will be cured first. I believe the progress made by that lab has been exceptional in such a short time and will continue to get better. As far as funding goes, I don’t think it would be an issue since it is being developed as an actual cure. As @MikeHerp mentioned, Fred Hutch is a renowned cancer research center and Jerome’s lab is using homing endonucleases from cellectis which, as far as I know, are safer than crispr. Jerome mentioned before people should be excited about a cure within his lifetime and I think he means it. Currently the obstacle is reaching all the relevant neurons which means viral vector choice is the issue which they are working on. Different serotypes have different efficiency at reaching different neuron types so it’s just a matter of choosing which ones work best and maximizing their reach. I also think excision biotherapeutics will most likely develop the first crispr cure using casY but will probably be after the jerome lab cures it with meganuclease.

Yodda

Sorry guys a cure will not happen. 

1/For all the doctors in the world, herpes is a benigne illness.

2/ For epidemiologists it is interesting to stop herpes only because it can be associated with severe illness (HIV, alzheimer....)  in the last papers 2018-2019 they stop looking for a cure of HIV, because tri-therapie is effective, and cheap now, and we have only to scan the population to put them on treatment, also with Prep therapy we will have this virus not spreading and in 50 years no HIV...

3/ also they says that 80% are asymptomatic, with time you have less symptoms, Acyclovir (cheap drugs) can diminish by 80% OB. all the best vaccine reduce it maximum 50%.

4/ there is only very few people who have constant symptoms...small market...

Why then they will look after a cure?