World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Talx2520

Can someone with genital Hsv-1 pass it to someone who has oral hsv-1?

Talx2520

Hi everyone, 

I might have HSV-1 genital. My blood work came up positive for HSV-1 and I think I may have had a genital outbreak prior, but wasn't able to get a swab test at the time due to health insurance reasons (i know I really should have. Its been nearly a year and not even the slightest recurrence). I had a lot of symptoms of an outbreak, so I've been assuming that I just have it. I have yet to get into dating again, but I constantly think about how I will disclose when the time comes. I've done tons of research and I've read a couple sources that state if your partner already has the HSV-1 virus (oral or genital) they can't get it from you in another location, i.e I can't give someone genital hsv-1 if they get blood work done and discover they already have hsv-1, or get cold sores. Anyone know if this is true? 

If it is true, I feel like that is something that should be included in disclosure. For those that have disclosed in the past, do you encourage your partner to go get bloodwork? I'm really wondering how one eloquently and casually say "go get tested". Really any disclosure tips in general would be appreciated! 

Thanks! Glad I found this community! 

WilsoInAus

Hey @Talx2520 it is largely true with only the smallest chance in unusual circumstances that might result in a further infection with the same type. There's no documented case of it happening but 1 or 2 credible stories on websites like this that suggest it is not exactly a zero chance.

Regardless of what the very low chance is, the fact that if you are both infected with HSV-1, or concordant, is the best possible combination for a couple seeking confidence regarding herpes transmission. They with an established HSV-1 infection could not be with a person with a lower chance (of further transmission either way) than you! 

By the way, if you only think you have genital HSV-1, you probably don't. There'd be little mistaking a primary genital infection of HSV-1... youch!

Ironically, you may present even lower risk with a genital HSV-1 than having oral, so it matters not which location you actually have it.

I feel a good route to take is that you'd like to enjoy unprotected sex in a monogamous relationship and it is responsible for the both of you to obtain STD panel testing explicitly including herpes to lay on the table together to discuss and take any measures desired before proceeding. No mature person would have an issue with that.

Talx2520
36 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @Talx2520 it is largely true with only the smallest chance in unusual circumstances that might result in a further infection with the same type. There's no documented case of it happening but 1 or 2 credible stories on websites like this that suggest it is not exactly a zero chance.

Regardless of what the very low chance is, the fact that if you are both infected with HSV-1, or concordant, is the best possible combination for a couple seeking confidence regarding herpes transmission. They with an established HSV-1 infection could not be with a person with a lower chance (of further transmission either way) than you! 

By the way, if you only think you have genital HSV-1, you probably don't. There'd be little mistaking a primary genital infection of HSV-1... youch!

Ironically, you may present even lower risk with a genital HSV-1 than having oral, so it matters not which location you actually have it.

I feel a good route to take is that you'd like to enjoy unprotected sex in a monogamous relationship and it is responsible for the both of you to obtain STD panel testing explicitly including herpes to lay on the table together to discuss and take any measures desired before proceeding. No mature person would have an issue with that.

Thanks for the response! My first suspected outbreak was definitely painful. Started with what felt like a UTI, then noticed what looked like ulcers starting 1.5 days after unprotected sex. Never scabbed over, but I had a horrible itch that lasted 2  weeks (didn't feel like yeast). Given my symptoms, I've pretty sure its genital herpes, but I mean it could have been some allergy (I had extremely rough intercourse in the middle of the wilderness, sorry if that is tmi lol and maybe naive of me to think it was a weird plant). Both my mom, sister, and grandma get coldsores and I feel like i've totally shared drinks with them even during their outbreaks. Can't remember if I ever had one though. I am not totally sure how I should go about disclosing in general. Should I mention I had a full panel and hsv-1 came up positive and that I am not sure where it is? I really wish I had just gotten it swabbed, but couldn't afford it without insurance at the time. I was under the impression that if it was herpes, it would come back and I could get it swabbed, but I realize now that with HSV-1 that isnt always the case. 

WilsoInAus

@Talx2520 based on what you say, Im not sure the odds exceed 50/50 that you have genital herpes. If you take a random genital infection from vaginal sex then about 95% of the time it’s HSV-2.

How long after the episode was the blood test?

Talx2520
1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

@Talx2520 based on what you say, Im not sure the odds exceed 50/50 that you have genital herpes. If you take a random genital infection from vaginal sex then about 95% of the time it’s HSV-2.

How long after the episode was the blood test?

I took an IgG blood test 6 months after the episode. HSV-2 was negative (less than .91) and HSV-1 was high at 3.18