World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
entropy

? on testing for my partner

entropy

I am just getting over my intial ob of hsv 1, both oral and genital.

I know of no other way of my getting this than from my girlfriend. I have been a widower for 4 years and this was my first sexual contact. She has had no obvious signs or discomfort and had no idea that she might have hsv.

What tests should she have to make sure we have the same thing? Does the fact that she doesn't have obvious ob's make testing difficult or unreliable?

If we have the same thing, with hers essentially dormant, what precautions should we observe when having, or not having, sex?

Thanks in advance.

lilanne19

The herpeselect test is pretty accurate, it's an IgG based test. Tell her don't waste time with IgM testing. As far as sex, if it turns out you both have it then no precautions are needed really. It may be uncomfortable during OB's but that's about it. You can't reinfect each other, but if you have it both orally and gentially and she only has it orally then it's possible that you can give it to her genitally. This would be rare but it's possible.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Quest
      When I broke out/ shed it usually was on my backside left side, my  upper crack or back right below the belt! Doggy style is my absolute favorite position which makes him very vulnerable! I think there definitely is an advantage to wearing some sexy clothes or latex! Or even the liquid gloves. I think the biggest problem is that people shave now and they nick and cut themselves! That leads them open for infection on any part of the boxer area!  
    • WilsoInAus
      I’d build on this to say that the volume of virus is critical. It has been observed that shedding instances where there are 10^7 virions are required for a pragmatic chance to actually get through the skin and it’s natural defences. Most shedding instances are well below this threshold. I’d also suggest that for many asymptomatic transmissions, most of the virus comes to the surface during the sexual act itself. So little point testing beforehand.
    • floydmonk
      Thank you for sharing that. Very resourceful.
    • Cas9
      I wasn't following the conversation closely, but yes, all that matters in terms of being contagious is if the virus makes it to the skin.
    • yadayadayadayada
      @Cas9 isn't that a "technicality"? From the sound of it this means that on a cellular level there is a daily battle but at the end of the day the virus can't transmit until it is present on the skin... right? I mean the question will still be: how many days is the virus present and transmittable. The mechanism (the technicality) is important but also not important... but I could be wrong, just trying to interpret. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.