World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MervyT

HSV1 Help?

MervyT

Hello,

First post here :)

A new partner of mine (we have not been sexual yet) has advised me that she has HSV1

I was just wondering if y’all could maybe help me with some things, because I am getting conflicting information online.

1)    If I have had cold sores my whole life, don’t I technically already have HSV1 too? It is different in the genitals vs. oral yes? I was also pretty promiscuous in my past, but I’ve never been tested because doctors always told me I couldn’t be because I get cold sores (I’ve had no symptoms genitally ever). 

2)    I’ve read that it’s hard for people who have it orally, to then contract it genitally. Is this true?

3)    How protective are condoms in this situation? (I am a guy). I have read everything from only 50% to “hugely protective”. 

Any help at all is so appreciated! I really like this girl and this has put a bit of a dampener on the situation :(

Regards

WilsoInAus

Hey @MervyT welcome to the website. Lots of help to be found here.

1. Although cold sores can be confused with things like staph, there’s a very good chance you have HSV-1 this can be confirmed with blood testing. With a new partner, testing isn’t bad idea all up. The doctor isn’t right, there are type specific tests.

2. Yes it’s very hard, there is no documented case of it happening to a male.

3. Yes condoms are very good, it does reduce transmission chances by about 50%. However you already posses the best protection of all, an established HSV-1 infection.

Far from a dampener, this is excellent news - you are (probably) concordant with HSV-1. The best possible combination a couple could hope for!

morty1234

Man i have Hsv1 from childhood and catched genital last year.

My blood test came back positive only for hsv1 two months ago. We are many guys in this situation. So my opinion is you can catch a new strain twice. There are more than 150 strains of hsv1 and hsv2.

I also struggling with daily nerves pain since I catched it.

My advice will be if you just wanna have a short story dont take the risk. Maybe she is nice with you now cause she is scared to be rejected.

Ps: i cant see wilson post, keep in mind this guy is a troll. Check his name on this forum

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, morty1234 said:

Man i have Hsv1 from childhood and catched genital last year.

My blood test came back positive only for hsv1 two months ago. We are many guys in this situation. So my opinion is you can catch a new strain twice. There are more than 150 strains of hsv1 and hsv2.

I also struggling with daily nerves pain since I catched it.

My advice will be if you just wanna have a short story dont take the risk. Maybe she is nice with you now cause she is scared to be rejected.

Ps: i cant see wilson post, keep in mind this guy is a troll. Check his name on this forum

Do you have genital herpes? What makes you think you do?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• Umajin
      I was diagnosed with a single, small herpes sore decades ago.  Never had another outbreak after that. on Dec 28, I vigorously masterbated, while also having been flu-like and under a tremendous amount of personal stress.  Basically, the tri-fecta... 6 bumps came the next day, formed blisters over the next 2 days and then slowly healed over. its now been 1 month and I can still see the remnants of the papules.   in fact today, I was having a tingling feeling and general “warmness” around the area. im wondering if I’m getting another outbreak?  And how long it takes for the papules to completely disappear?   thanks in advance for any thoughts
    • LightafterDarkness
      Thanks @MikeHerp for continuing to lead on this front- a permanent cure is that much closer thanks to your efforts and the inspiration you have given many to join in this cause. Looking forward to positive news this year on multiple fronts against this pesky virus!
    • LightafterDarkness
      Content should be familiar to many people here but still an interesting read. Great to see sources continuing to push back against the stigma: "“Back before Time Magazine did a cover story on herpes in the late 1970’s, we didn’t think of it as an STI. We thought of it as a normal thing — fever blisters, we often called it — and it wasn’t a big deal. Because most everyone had a cold sore now and then. But then, acyclovir came out and the [pharmaceutical] companies wanted to make a lot of money, so they started advertising it,” Dr. Graves says. “Because of misogyny, they made it this big dramatic thing and the ads mostly were about how women wouldn’t want to transmit it to partners. So it became stigmatized.”" https://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/2152344/medical-providers-herpes-sti-stigma/  
    • LeighAnn
      https://imgur.com/a/BUDGaoh
    • LeighAnn
      So I posted about a week ago about being exposed by a partner who didn’t disclose until after. After talking with him and y’all on here I was a lot more comfortable that everything was ok. Well this morning I noticed these while using the bathroom. I shaved to get a closer look. I originally thought ingrown hairs as I get them but usually on my thighs. But I don’t see hairs and no pus. I’m calling dr in morning to see what they say just wanted opinions. They do hurt some it’s how I noticed them. I was also sick over weekend but again my kids had the flu the week before so I just assumed I caught the flu from them even though my flu test was negative. I am going to call dr first thing in morning, just wanted opinions on it tonight to ease my anxiety some. Thank you    hang on working on photo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.