World's Largest Herpes Support Group
percival112

Dodgy bumps

percival112
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone. First and foremost let me begin by saying that I've been diagnosed with HSV-1 (unsure of location, no OB or sores ever) through IgG a few years ago.
So you can say I'm already part of the gang.

Back then I found great solace in this place so being a lot more conscious about HSV I recognized some of the symptoms... although I'm deeply skeptical of the possibility of having acquired a new infection, remembered to ask around.
Rest assured I plan to get fully tested, but due to the bank holiday, I'll only be able to do it on Tuesday at best.

My last sexual encounter was on April 12th. I received protected oral, gave unprotected oral, and had protected vaginal intercourse.
There was, however, a moment when she "straddled me", sitting on my lap with genital to skin contact without penetration, for a handful of minutes.
I would classify this encounter as "risky", given unknown history and factors like nationality and circumstances.

Fast-forward 10 days, around the 22nd, I start to develop cold/flu like symptoms, and lower back pain (only on the right side).
I also started sweating in the groin area, eventually leading to a sensation of sweat rash (tenderness) mainly on the left hand side of my groin (also present, but less acute, on the right hand side).

Over the next couple of days a couple of zits and bumps appeared in the area of boxer short elastic, close to the navel, and went away the next morning.

On 20 days past exposure, after a sweaty night, and a bit of scratching close to the left groin, I noticed 4 reddish hair follicles, in close proximity.
All except one had hair coming out of them, and this looked like it had a hair trapped inside too, because I think I saw that characteristic "black shadow" beneath the skin.
This reddish bump, had a small "head" with a grayish looking fluid. The others were "dry", just red in the base and risen like goosebumps.
I committed the sin of picking at it, and a transparent fluid came out, and it's now covered by a scab. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a photo at the time.

I washed the area with antiseptical handwash and the redness was gone on the other bumps the next morning. So I passed on going to the GUM clinic, which was probably a bad idea since they could've swabbed the one I picked at..
This is the pic of the area - https://ibb.co/GcsXss6 , taken today (22 past exposure, 2 after discovery). I've circled the follicles that were reddish on top, and noticed a couple more pimples when now looking at the photo that I've also circled at the bottom.

Yesterday, on the other hand, I noticed a patch of pinkish discolored skin on the shaft of my penis, on the right hand side.
The skin was almost translucent, didn't actually itch or hurt, was not raised or had any fluid in it, and the only discerning characteristic was how different it was from surrounding skin.
Today (22 past exposure, 1 after discovery), the skin looks "dryish" with a bit of white dry skin covering it, sorry not the best quality pics - https://ibb.co/Kw02VhX and https://ibb.co/w76kBsk.

So what symptoms do I have:
1. The bumps next to my groin;
2. Tingling sensation on the groin;
3. Sweaty groin;

4. Lower back pain
5. Patch on the shaft;
6. Pain on the groin;
7. Mild dysuria;
8. Flu/Cold like symptoms.

And why am I skeptical that this is HSV?:
1. Most of the bumps went away in less than 24h with handwash.
2/3. Had to sleep on boxer shorts for a couple of nights, which I hate and creates shaffing. I also visited a spa in the meantime.

4. Fucked up vertebra and minor kidney stones.
5. This threw me off a little bit, but it could be due to excessively vigorous masturbation.
6. Rough self examination.
7. I suffer from chronic prostatitis and have been ingesting more liquids, which lead to the next point...
8. I probably have a cold/the flu... everyone around me has it as well...

With all these explanations, why am I worrying about this? The timings above all, also the fact that I didn't recognize the entirety of the symptoms straight away and passed on the opportunity of a diagnosis..
So now I'm left wondering for a couple more days, then for tests to come back, then the time that I still need to wait to get a conclusive IgG.. hence... here I am.

Edited by percival112
typos

WilsoInAus

@percival112 I agree with you, it is a puzzlement as to why herpes features as a consideration. 

I suspect there is some fear or regret in the encounter itself?

percival112

Hi @WilsoInAus. I remember you from the first time I was around!

Yeah, regret for sure... since this issue crept back into my mind after having it put to rest some years ago due to risky behavior.

In any case, the first time around I was banging my head on the walls... now I'm quietly typing away on my laptop having a cup of tea. And that's mostly due to this community and how much more informed I believe I am on the issue.

percival112
8 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

@percival112 seems like a bit of self flagellation!

Def. Can't seem to move on from all these "coincidences" and "odd timings".

blurneworder
20 minutes ago, percival112 said:

Def. Can't seem to move on from all these "coincidences" and "odd timings".

You know your body better than anyone else.

I heard the same things when I was telling doctors my symptoms were due to HSV. Nobody believed it, and then I tested positive twice through blood.

WilsoInAus
23 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

I heard the same things when I was telling doctors my symptoms were due to HSV. Nobody believed it, and then I tested positive twice through blood.

That's entirely misleading.
- you have tested negative previously, more than 5 months after an alleged exposure
- you have swabbed negative genitally
- you have the lowest possible positive result for HSV-1 at 1.25
- whether you carry HSV-1 or not, there is no evidence you carry it genitally or that it is causing any of the thousand symptoms you have attributed to it.

Are your doctor's wrong?

percival112
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, blurneworder said:

Hi @blurneworder. Going off the cuff with my knowledge of my body, it tells me that this isn't an HSV outbreak. More likely a yeast or bacterial infection.

However, I'm not a doctor. Nor am I as informed and able to identify symptoms as a lot of the people here. And in any case THIS might not be an HSV OB, but that doesn't mean I'm not an asymptomatic carrier.

Edited by percival112

percival112

Just an update:

23 days past exposure, 3 after discovery, some of the redness is returning to the area where I found the bumps, and the prickly and burning sensation is still there.

I haven't done anything to it so I can show it at the clinic tomorrow.

In any case, I'm going to try to get a IgG test done tomorrow, although I've been told that these are not done at GUM clinics. Can any one that had one done in the UK advise me on this? What was your experience?

Thanks

percival112

RANT:

The damn clinic wasn't doing any testing today. They had some structural issues so they couldn't take samples or make any visual inspection. Made me wait for almost two hours to tell me to go somewhere else.... That took the wind off my sails completely.

From my description the nurse doesn't think that the issues described above are herpes. She also told me that they wouldn't do a blood test for herpes, because "yadayadayada we wouldn't be able to tell where it was, how long you got it..." etc, but seemed to open up to the idea once I told her that I had already had one done with them. So there is hope that I can take the test without having to fork it out of my pocket.

percival112
Posted (edited)

Update:

24 days past exposure, 4 after discovery, burning sensation moved to the right hand side, at the top of the groin, accompanied by some redness. Two new bumps sprang up, really close to the boxer short elastic line. One looks like a ingrown/infected hair follicle, the other one like a tiny zit (size of the dot of a pen).

This looks less and less like hsv. Patches on shaft lost all pinkness in the meantime, and now just look like lighter skin.

Edited by percival112
typo

percival112

Update:

26 days in. Went to the GUM clinic and did the full range of tests. The doctor had a look at my bumps and told me that they didn't look like HSV, and if they were they were very atypical. Took a swab nonetheless, although it didn't "pick" at the bumps to release any fluid, so I don't really think that even if they were HSV lesions that anything would come of that. The patches on my shaft are the result of abrasion according to him (chaffing, rough handling, pinching, etc). The whole thing is of a dermatological nature according to him.

Asked for HSV blood tests and got a big fat NO. They are not done on the NHS, except for pregnant women.

And on that note, having ordered a home testing kit yesterday, today I got a call from the lab company. They wanted to ask me if I had questions about the test and I asked a couple but ended up asking for an email with details.

The email itself is quite plain, and it just indicates that the test is a Elisa IgG test, but then adds that the test needs to be taken "4-12 weeks after possible exposure for accurate results". This is a bit of a stretch, as most of us around here realize. Results at 4 weeks are not much better than a coin flip. Further along it adds, "up to 90% of adults will test positive for Herpes Simplex 1 antibodies and up to 50% of sexually active adults will test positive for Herpes Simplex 2 antibodies"... these sound like skewed stats.. unless they are referring to the entire world population.

In any case I plan on taking the test next week, possibly another at 8 weeks, and I will go to a different, "physical", clinic for my 12 week test.

percival112

Update:

27 days in. 6 after discovery. The two bumps on top of the right groin looked slightly better. I've realized that they are both two hair follicles, as the one that looked like a zit does have a tiny slim hair sticking out. Not much of a burning sensation there.

On the other hand, on the left groin, the place of the original bumps, a new bump has emerged, slightly above where the original one was. It's also a hair follicle. The other follicles in that area have some redness again. The original lesion that I picked at is almost healed, but now I don't see a hair there at all. Burning sensation almost non-existent though. Still feel "prickly" around the genital area, mostly focused on the groin, but could very well be genital anxiety.

percival112
Posted (edited)

Update:

28 days in. 7 after discovery. Groin symptoms worsened somewhat. Prickly feeling and burning sensation are a couple of notches higher today. I don't think that the self-examination is helping in that department. Bumps look the same, no pain or itch, except for the one that showed up yesterday, which I pocked at a bit - couldn't make it pop or get any fluid out of it though - that looks a bit banged up. I have a new "lesion" looking thing on the top of my right thigh, looks a bit like a tiny haematoma from bumping into something. It's also at the top of what looks like a stretch mark. More lower back pain than usual, and also extremely cold feet over the last couple of days, urgent urination also slightly worse. Still have a sore throat.. feels like a piece of dried cardboard.

To add to the frustration and anxiety my home test kit that was supposed to arrive today "didn't fit" in the post box, so the mailman didn't deliver it, meaning that hopefully it will be waiting for me at the post office on Monday morning, so I can send the sample that day.

Edited by percival112

percival112
Just now, blurneworder said:

Do you have photo of these symptoms?

Which?

blurneworder

Any. It would be helpful to see what this looks like.

percival112
Posted (edited)

Update:

32 days in. I've posted my sample from the home testing kit. It's not that easy to handle the process from my experience, so I think I will be a bit reluctant to repeat it in the future. Collecting the blood itself was a bit challenging. Everything else it's fairly straightforward. Let's see how long it takes to reach the lab and to get the results back.

Regarding symptoms, they have ups and downs. On Saturday almost no strange sensations around the groin, on Sunday markedly more, also around the waistline, but I also walked a lot and did some heavy lifting, another pink patch appeared on my thigh, again on a stretch mark, an inch or so below the first. No itching or burning in this case. Both appear to be healing, and changed in 24h into something more like a bruise, with a brownish/grayish tone. Sore throat still lingers and I'm also running a low grade fever today.

@blurneworder the angry bump looks pretty much like the first picture I posted. It's a red, slightly raised hair follicle, with a bit of white dry skin on the top, and two hairs coming out of hit. My phone can't focus enough the red patches on the thighs for me to take a clear picture.

Edited by percival112

blurneworder
27 minutes ago, percival112 said:

Update:

32 days in. I've posted my sample from the home testing kit. It's not that easy to handle the process from my experience, so I think I will be a bit reluctant to repeat it in the future. Collecting the blood itself was a bit challenging. Everything else it's fairly straightforward. Let's see how long it takes to reach the lab and to get the results back.

Regarding symptoms, they have ups and downs. On Saturday almost no strange sensations around the groin, on Sunday markedly more, also around the waistline, but I also walked a lot and did some heavy lifting, another pink patch appeared on my thigh, again on a stretch mark, an inch or so below the first. No itching or burning in this case. Both appear to be healing, and changed in 24h into something more like a bruise, with a brownish/grayish tone. Sore throat still lingers and I'm also running a low grade fever today.

@blurneworder the angry bump looks pretty much like the first picture I posted. It's a red, slightly raised hair follicle, with a bit of white dry skin on the top, and two hairs coming out of hit. My phone can't focus enough the red patches on the thighs for me to take a clear picture.

Are the red patches like small, circular dots that are spread out from each other?

percival112
1 minute ago, blurneworder said:

Are the red patches like small, circular dots that are spread out from each other?

No. They are small, but more like rectangular and elongated. They are on the thigh, about 1 1/2 apart, at the height of the boxer short elastic.

percival112

Update:

34 days in. Didn't have any news from the GUM clinic, and after one week that means, according to them, all tests came back negative, and that includes the swabs (as expected).

11 days in symptoms have subsided dramatically, although I have some pain on the muscle of my right groin, extending halfway down the thigh. Throat still a bit sore.

percival112

Update:

36 days. Received test results today (sample taken at 32 days): HSV1 - Detected; HSV2 - Not Detected. No more information about the test itself, no numerical values, etc, which I find quite annoying and shall be chasing more details about it next week. To establish a comparison base this is clearly not enough information. Sample took one day to reach the lab, and ~3 days for results to come through. Regarding home test kits, the main advantage so far seems to be the price... and it's a huge advantage at that.

blurneworder
54 minutes ago, percival112 said:

Update:

36 days. Received test results today (sample taken at 32 days): HSV1 - Detected; HSV2 - Not Detected. No more information about the test itself, no numerical values, etc, which I find quite annoying and shall be chasing more details about it next week. To establish a comparison base this is clearly not enough information. Sample took one day to reach the lab, and ~3 days for results to come through. Regarding home test kits, the main advantage so far seems to be the price... and it's a huge advantage at that.

If your positive result holds true, I experienced some of the same problems you have. I don't know where on my body the HSV is, but it's likely oral and genital based on my symptoms. I tested positive twice not too long ago through blood work.

WilsoInAus
17 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

If your positive result holds true, I experienced some of the same problems you have. I don't know where on my body the HSV is, but it's likely oral and genital based on my symptoms. I tested positive twice not too long ago through blood work.

Please stop hijacking threads to self serve your own delusions. We have all had fucking gutful and it will not be tolerated. You have been warned multiple times.

This is about the OP, he has always tested positive for HSV-1 if you even cared about other people you would know this.

percival112
Update:

59 days. I received the results from a test taken at 6,5 weeks (46 days) past exposure. They came back as before, reactive for HSV-1, non-detected for HSV-2, and this time I asked for range and was told that it was below 0.5 - after a brief chat the nurse also told me that it was too soon to test and I should retest at 12 weeks for confirmation. Nothing new on this front though, although from what I've read around here over 70% of people would have seroconverted by now, although people who carry HSV-1 are more prone to seroconvert later on, and me having HSV-1 might fit this profile.

I plan to take a new test this week, this time having my blood drawn at a local clinic, at 8,5 weeks. I've opted for this, despite being 3 or 4 times more expensive, over the mailed finger prick sample, mainly because this time the results took a very long time to come around, unlike before (2 days vs. 8 days). From what I've read by this time over 90% of the people would have seroconverted.

Regarding symptoms, the few "bumps" that I've noticed have migrated down my thighs and are considerably less and less of an occurrence. The patches on the shaft look "normal" except for the lighter skin tone (I plan on seeing a dermatologist in the next couple of months to have an opinion on this). Around the time I took this last test I started having a burning and prickly sensation where the skin of the groin meets the testicle skin, mainly on the left hand side (a couple of inches below where I had the first symptoms). It's more common when I'm out and about, and it's rather difficult to ignore. That very same day I was at my GP and asked him to have a look and he said there was nothing to see there.

I have been under an insane amount of stress and anxiety over these last two weeks, getting barely any sleep. I was fully expecting to have an OB, but nothing happened. The skin looks perfectly normal, no bumps or blister, only perhaps a bit redder than the surrounding skin. It doesn't hurt, or itch, even when I touch it - just the occasional discomfort that has lasted for 2 weeks, but comes and goes lasting around 15m. I went to the pharmacy and got some anti-fungal cream and have been applying it liberally ever since. I think it helps a little, if only because it keeps the skin hydrated and creates a barrier from chaffing. I also added an anti-bacterial soap to the mix for the past week, and this also seems to improve symptoms a little bit. I think it might be related to chaffing, perhaps exacerbated by me trimming the hair in that area to help with self-examination and the anxiety that makes me shake my legs all day.