World's Largest Herpes Support Group
percival112

Dodgy bumps

percival112
Posted (edited)

@WilsoInAus. would you mind commenting on my stats? 70% at 6 weeks and 90% at 8 weeks? I've just done a quick search on the forum and just saw someone give 3 different values for the 8 week test (70, 75 and 80%...).

Edited by percival112

WilsoInAus
4 minutes ago, percival112 said:

@WilsoInAus. would you mind commenting on my stats? 70% at 6 weeks and 90% at 8 weeks? I've just done a quick search on the forum and just saw someone give 3 different values for the 8 week test (70, 75 and 80%...).

There's no need to be precise with this stuff, I work with a rule of thumb of 50% at 4 weeks, then a further 10% for the next 4 reaching 90% at 8 weeks and the last 10% over the following 4-8 weeks.

percival112
16 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

There's no need to be precise with this stuff, I work with a rule of thumb of 50% at 4 weeks, then a further 10% for the next 4 reaching 90% at 8 weeks and the last 10% over the following 4-8 weeks.

Thanks for your input. I based my estimates on one of your posts, as well as info taken from reddit and the westover heights forum (although Terri is fairly inconsistent in her estimates).

percival112

Update:

63 days. I've received another set of test results, this time from a blood sample taken at 60 days post exposure on the dot (8,5 weeks). The results are as before, positive HSV-1 and negative HSV-2.

I'm satisfied with this test for a number of reasons. First and obviously because it's negative when 90% of people infected would have seroconverted by now... but also because this was the first time that I had my blood drawn at a clinic and shipped properly to a different company, while the previous two tests were finger prick samples shipped over the mail. The idea that the sample could deteriorate always hung on my head, so I'm considerably more confident on the outcome of this particular test. Also, turn around time was great: had the blood drawn on one day, arrived on the lab the next day, and two days later I had the result on my email. Nevertheless, it's still ridiculously expensive (although they kindly offered me a discount voucher......). Another slightly annoying thing, and perhaps this is industry MO, they also didn't provide a range value for the test. I've used two different companies and the only time I got range values was when I asked for it over the phone.

Moving forward, I plan to do another test in about a month's time, at the 12 weeks mark. It's going to be a bit odd, since I've been testing every ~two weeks and this has been one of the ways to deal with my anxiety concerning the issue (planning for testing, look up and book the test, testing and waiting for the results - this makes me feel somewhat in control). I don't really know how I'm going to be able to sit tight for close to 4 weeks doing nothing. On the other hand, testing in the meantime, let's assume at 10 weeks, barely adds any value in terms of result accuracy (probably less than 5%?) to the results I've got so far. So, the plan is to wait for the 12 weeks mark, and then retest at 16 to put it to rest.

On the other hand, my symptoms have been very noticeable for the last couple of days, which has me logically worried. I will have to consider other alternatives and diagnosis methods soon enough and I've planned to visit a dermatologist in the mean time. It's just very frustrating that I can't do it all at the same time for financial reasons. I'll have to wait for the HSV issue to be settled before I can then pursue other things... so far, one nurse and one doctor at the GUM clinic say that the skin looks perfectly normal in the affected area, and my GP also says that there is nothing to see there. I've just finished a two week course of anti-fungal cream that I've been applying to that area and I'm not sure what to do next - perhaps I will try some nappy rash cream. I've a work trip planned for a couple of days from now and I'm really not looking forward to it, since I'll have to do a lot of walking, which will probably aggravate my symptoms.

percival112
Update:

70 days in. Hello everyone. Just a quick update, more for my own peace of mind than anything else.

The thing is that I have had a rough week. I have been dreaming about herpes symptoms and have mental pictures of blisters and rashes that haven't happened. Every now and again I pop back to the forum to read my previous posts that work as a log of stuff that indeed happened so I can shake those mental images off. It's quite ironic that I came in so calm into this and as time moves on I have grown increasingly anxious.

Now, the symptoms I described about ten days ago (having a burning and prickly sensation where the skin of the groin meets the testicle skin, mainly on the left hand side) have subsided a lot in the last two days. It's interesting because I have been doing a lot of walking about and haven't used any anti-fungal cream in a while and haven't come about to applying the nappy rash one. Also, the use of anti-bacterial soap was a bit inconsistent.

Today, however, I noticed some distinct redness on the left side of my glans, covering about 1/3 of it (no bumps or blisters so far). I can't shake off this idea that the burning on the groin was the prodome (lasted about 3,5 weeks) and that this could be the outbreak. My last encounter was protected, so I guess that it wouldn't make much sense for this to be a primary outbreak. Nonetheless, could the symptoms I was displaying on May 5th be my actual first outbreak, and this be my second, having my OB spot moved from the groin to the glans? I've also felt an urgency to urinate and some itchiness inside my urethra, although I didn't pay much attention to it since I have some prostate issues. This could be some form of fungal or bacterial infection, that I have transferred from my groin or generic genital area to the penis.. but for some reason I'm feeling very negative about this. Might also be nothing and be gone by tomorrow... let's hope so.

Still have two more weeks of waiting ahead before I can retest at the 12 week mark.

percival112

Update:

Day 71. The redness is mostly gone. Tip of the glans still looks a bit rough with some tiny red bumps still showing. Can't shake off this weird feeling in the tip of the urethra as if the tip of the penis is moist or I'm having some discharge. Yet, I couldn't see anything nor did my underwear have any signs. I would go for another visit to the clinic, but the thing is that I have one  scheduled in 2 weeks, and last time I was there they didn't consider re-running any urine and swab tests since there was no new exposure. May go private again.

percival112
Update:

Day 76. So I'm on the countdown towards my 12 weeks test. Actually, it's going to be at a little over 12 weeks since I wanted it to be as close as possible to the 90 days mark. The waiting doesn't get much easier despite the 3 previous negatives and having this landmark in sight. I'm counting the days in anticipation and have been living my life putting one foot in front of the other, without any real direction, just waiting for time to go by. The anxiety doesn't seem to be abated by the prospect of having a nearly conclusive answer about my status. That's mainly due to symptoms that seem to be all over the place. For the past week I have been experiencing this "bug bite" type of sensation on my thighs, 1/2 inches above my knees. They are more painful than itchy, like being stabbed with a tiny needle, and when I check the area there are no marks or redness or anything, so they leave my quite baffled. On the other hand, yesterday I was out and about, nothing too strenuous or physically demanding, only a short walk, and had an itch on my pubic area (about 2 inches above the penis, close to the right hand side of my groin). I scratched it over my clothes and thought nothing of it. Got home, and when checking myself in the loo I found the area to be quite red and a "bump", looking much like my original "bumps", starting to raise a little bit from the skin in that area, again at the base of a hair follicle with two hairs coming out of it. I must confess that that was quite disheartening, as I hadn't had any bumps coming up for nearly 1,5 months. I followed the same MO as last time, washing the area with anti-bacterial soap, and this morning most of the redness was gone and the bump itself seemed a lot less inflamed - I can still see it although it's a lot harder to find it, the base of the follicle is still a little raised and there is a small red ring around the base. No blisters or sores as before, and apart from the original itch, it didn't itch anymore, and it was a single bump. It feels that whatever was going on with me... is still going on and I am none the wiser.

About the glans issues I wrote about last time, they seemed to go away when I stopped washing the area with anti-bacterial soap. So, that kind of approach might be a bit of overkill to some more sensitive parts of your anatomy.

percival112
Posted (edited)

Update

Day 84. Exactly 12 weeks today and I'm in a sorry state. Had a couple of very good days trying to lead up to my 12 week test, but today things changed dramatically. I've been taking a lot of sun, walking about quite a lot and even went to the beach. After a long travel today I got home and noticed a couple of red dots on my penis. Haven't noticed them until now, although I had a couple of looks earlier throughout the day. Didn't see any blistering and it doesn't itch or hurt, although the itch on the groin is still present. I just hope it's due to chaffing... there are specs that look like blood. I don't know if there is any point in getting them swabbed since they are already bloodied or if I'm just in denial. The frenulum seems to be a bit inflamed and as a spec of blood on it (I did squeeze it a bit and dabbed a bit of toilet paper that seemed to bring a bit of blood), then there is another lesion in the bit of skin that follows down from the frenulum, and another one a bit further to the right and a very small one just a bit below. This is the side I "dress on", the part that rubs against the underwear.. but I don't know.... added some pics (sorry for the poor quality).

https://ibb.co/jJD9Pwj
https://ibb.co/J7NCT71
https://ibb.co/7YhVvqm
https://ibb.co/SsJJ3CL

Added some more pics:

https://ibb.co/Fwzbgbj
https://ibb.co/fdGXGyz
https://ibb.co/GPrkMHd

Anyone online at this time? @WilsoInAus?

Edited by percival112

WilsoInAus

Hey @percival112 there is nothing really in the photos resembling herpes. I suggest these are independent of your concerns regarding herpes.

I am so sorry you are unable rationalise your fears of having been infected despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

You are going to need to envisage a future where you have total belief in that you either have or do not have HSV-2. Then list the steps that will take you to one or other conclusion, that might the 12 week IgG, but whatever you decide make the steps finite and belief total.

percival112
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @percival112 there is nothing really in the photos resembling herpes. I suggest these are independent of your concerns regarding herpes.

I am so sorry you are unable rationalise your fears of having been infected despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

You are going to need to envisage a future where you have total belief in that you either have or do not have HSV-2. Then list the steps that will take you to one or other conclusion, that might the 12 week IgG, but whatever you decide make the steps finite and belief total.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look Wilso. I think I just need to figure out what is going on here. I think that a negative IgG at 12 weeks would put my mind at ease of my HSV-2 concerns, although I still think I will retest at 16 again (this is a matter for another post when my mind is clearer). There is something going on with me and if not HSV-2, then what? These photos are not normal, but I guess that another trip to the GUM clinic is in order to try to find out more about what it is.

The frenulum now hurts/burns a bit.

Update:

Clinic couldn't get me an appointment today, so I'll have to try again tomorrow. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the possibility of getting a viable swab from these.

Edited by percival112

percival112
Posted (edited)
Update:

Day 85. Went to the clinic. The verdict was that the blood spots were caused by "trauma and abrasion".  Too small to be HPV for now, so I'm supposed to keep an eye on it to see if they grow (great.. another thing to worry about). Also, as I feared, too late for swab testing for HSV since they had already dried and the blood was congealed. The Doc also doesn't think that it's HSV since they didn't hurt or itch.

I've been complaining about funky feeling in the urethra and got them to take a swab and retest my urine. Interestingly they took a good sample to analyze under the microscope and told me that they found a lot of "cells" in the sample, but no sign of infection, so no bacteria or fungus. After the swabs I had some discharge. So, I guess more testing is in order. Probably will have to do a urine and a semen culture, plus a specific test for other specific infectious microbes (trich, mycoplasm, gardnerella, ureaplasm and the lot) and schedule a urologist appointment.
Edited by percival112

CheekyMunkey

You are really getting put through it mate. I dont know man. Its weird isnt it. I mean Im not sure you can test more than they have. I think  the problem is much like me you just want things to go back to normal. You've had negative tests and you are ready to move on then you find some other symptom that shows up over and over.

I think thats the problem that causes doubt. I felt like my symptoms (whatever they are) are improving and then something happens which pulls you back to square one. The body is soo complex. When we have these interactions with other people we potentially get exposed to soo much from other peoples bodies that our own bodies freak out OR it could just be conditions you already have. Nobody knows.

Hope it all works out for you. Im going to get tested this week I think. Its been just over 4 weeks so Im hoping its enough time to show something. Ill probably get an IgG which I think is the most reliable for now.

percival112
Update:

Day 86. I'm a bit tired to write but am seeking some advice.

Sometime throughout the day the scabs or blood spots went away/fell off. The bump in the frenulum seems a little less inflamed and the skin a little less red. But I definitely can "feel" the skin in those areas. There is no "sunk" pit under where the scabs were, and the skin there just looks like "new" skin, a bit pinkish than the surrounding skin and honestly they were hard to find again - lasted from Thursday night when I found them, to Sunday afternoon. It also doesn't hurt. It does however feel uncomfortable. So much so, that I've spent most the day with my foreskin retracted, to try to ease the tension on the skin, which, since I'm not circumcised, doesn't feel great, and gets caught in pubes, and apparently makes you more susceptible to infections.

My urethra hurts a bit, probably from the swabbing that I got done yesterday. If I have the foreskin in its normal state, the tip of my urethra feels weird (icy hot and moist). Maybe there is some relation to this and the bump on the frenulum. I've noticed that I've been dribbling after going to the loo and I've been extra careful to dry the glans with some tp after going, but seems that there is always a little drop of pee that gets left behind, like that annoying spill that you get from the hose at the petrol station.

I'm trying to figure out something to help the skin on my penis heal faster and protect it from abrasion, while, simultaneously, preventing any "imbalance" that could lead to an overgrowth of bacteria or fungi. @Quest would you mind advising on this?

@CheekyMunkey so much that I think I could write a book about it. Probably a horror story, and what I've written here is only the tip of the iceberg. Thank you for your best wishes. I'm a couple of days away from my 12 weeks test. One step after the other. If you think that it will help you breath more easily, then take the test.

Quest

Best healing comes from ozone, the put gangrene limbs in plastic then saturate the bag. Pricy but they have small units 50-100ish.

I liked zinc oxide in Desitin type creams. Life extensions book had it in there and I confirmed faster healing with my doc and she looked it up.

Raw honey for healing, put on the wound. They say it works as good as herpes cream zovirax.

You have places circled all over your penis and HSV shows up generally in one area unless it's just a huge clustering and a very unusual breakout with different patches in different areas. Did you think HSV was in the urethra? What about testing partner? Make sure you look at the paperwork, I wouldn't trust someone otherwise.

percival112
Update:

Day 88. Just did my 12 weeks test (well in this case a little over 12 weeks), and results should be in by the end of the week. My symptoms have improved but urethra still feels odd and the skin a bit tight.

My post of today is a bit overdue. I've just been overwhelmed with other stuff and couldn't structure my thinking about this clearly, and just thinking about it annoys me.. and that was the last thing I needed.

So, long story short, last week I received a call from the company with which I tested the first two times. It was obviously quite surprising and shocking, since about a month and a half had passed since I tested with them. I couldn't figure out what they would want with me and although I had tested negative with a different company in the mean time I couldn't shake off the feeling that there was some problem with my results and that they were going to tell me that my test had actually returned positive (ridiculous I know). Eventually they passed me around to costumer service where I was informed that there had been complaints by some costumers that either the sample container or the bag where you ship it (I can't remember exactly which sorry) had a hole! They didn't say anything in particular about my sample and since they were able to test it and actually give me index numbers and actually detect my HSV-1 I think that it was alright... but WTF...

They very graciously offered me a free test as compensation.. but... yeah... I think I'll give it a pass.

Bottom line is: this is one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) test you can get in the UK, and I want people to be aware (since the NHS is not performing these tests in most cases) that sometimes paying out a higher rate might actually be a better option for your peace of mind.

@Quest thank you for your suggestions. Ended up going for aloe vera, for fear of the sugar in honey fueling fungus growth. No, I don't think I have HSV in the urethra. From what I've read around here I would be in excruciating pain if that was the case. The urethral symptoms have only been a factor for the last two weeks (if that long) and got worse after the swabbing at the clinic.

CheekyMunkey

Hey @percival112.

Thats bloody annoying. Its like you are dealing with all this stress already and then the testing company just adds that extra kick. Glad it didnt effect your test outcome and hope your current test comes back clear. I have to agree with you. Living in London I would just feel a lot better visiting a clinic and actually getting them to take a sample etc. Its 4.5 weeks since exposure. I actually paid to ask Terri some questions at WestoverHeights. You can find my thread in their free to view forum. She feels my symptoms are not in line with herpes and that I have just drawn up that conclusion in my mind with no real proof in terms of symptoms. Only symptoms I have now is the constant itching in my glutes, legs, thighs, ankles and hands/arms which seems to come and go during the day. Had insomnia too which was a little better last night. Ive intentionally been eating crap and sitting in the sun hoping to trigger it. Heck I had a panic attack in 2016 and never had a breakout/blister/sore/nerve pain so I can deal with stress...Lets see if i break into a sore/blister. Something visual I think is the only true evidence I will be able to confirm.

I just cant believe there are soo many people with neurological symptoms who have never had outbreaks/sores but say they have tested positive for HSV. They may or may not be related but I think the timings of incidents/exposure just adds more weight to your argument that you may have caught it.  Terri dismissed my itching symptoms...

Lets see how it goes. Hope you can close a chapter on this. 

percival112

Thank you for your wishes @CheekyMunkey. I've had a look at the WHF question and Terri's opinion seems promising. I'm not so much concerned about "neurological symptoms" as much as physical symptoms that I can't explain - the zits and bumps and blood spots. I'll keep an eye on her replies to you.

percival112

Update:

Day 91. Results for the test done on day 88 (12,5 weeks) are in and they are as before - positive HSV-1 and negative HSV-2. An even faster turnaround than last time. Need to have a think about next steps.

blurneworder
3 minutes ago, percival112 said:

Update:

Day 91. Results for the test done on day 88 (12,5 weeks) are in and they are as before - positive HSV-1 and negative HSV-2. An even faster turnaround than last time. Need to have a think about next steps.

Have you had the zits and bumps swabbed?

percival112
1 minute ago, blurneworder said:

Have you had the zits and bumps swabbed?

I had a swab at ~4 weeks, but it was done on old lesions and not prodded around properly as you read around here.

percival112
Posted (edited)

Update:

Day 110. Haven't updated in a while but some interesting developments took place in the meantime. Received the results from the GUM clinic that I took earlier this month and they were negative across the board, including swabs. Nevertheless, both the urethral swab (that I wrote earlier about as well) and the urine sample came back with an abnormally high number of epithelial cells. I was referred to my GP for further investigation, but I wasn't able to book an appointment until mid-next month. So in the mean time I went on to investigate the issue a bit further within my possibilities. I ordered a semen culture which turned out a few gram positive cocci in microscopy (no WBC though) and a heavy growth of enterococcus in the culture (also, displaying some resistance to antibiotics) - this could explain some of the urethral/urinary symptoms, even the genital itchiness (although not as likely), or it can be completely coincidental and be totally unrelated (contaminated sample maybe? Or just commensal bacteria?). However, from what I've read, it doesn't do much to justify the presence of the epithelial cells. Nevertheless, I have something to take to my GP and at the very least justify some empirical treatment (I hope).

Another thing I've set out to do was to get the HPV vaccine. It's something that isn't very extensively discussed in this forum (naturally), but that I think should merit people's attention, as we have seen a couple of users around here getting HPV diagnoses thinking they had HSV. I wasn't aware that last year the NHS had expanded the maximum age (45) that you can have access to the vaccine, and that is also available for men. Although it is really expensive if you don't fall in one of the categories that are covered by the national vaccination plan, the vaccine that you can get privately is a better version of the vaccine than that that the NHS is still giving out - the private one immunizes you against 9 strains and the NHS one only against 4 strains. Now, there is a lot of discussion concerning the "therapeutic" value of the vaccine, which mostly derive from the lack of scientific knowledge that still surrounds HPV. It's generally accepted that the vaccine will not "cure" an active infection - however, despite being statistically not relevant, several studies have consistently showed higher/faster clearance rates for active infections (even for strains not covered by the vaccine) for people who were vaccinated or are undergoing a vaccination protocol. Another approach from those who argue for vaccination argues that getting the vaccine will prevent re-infection (they assume that the virus is completely cleared and doesn't go into latency) - that's a good argument for those in long-term or monogamous relationships to get the vaccine as well, stemming from the idea that partners can ping-pong the virus back and forth or that you can spread the infection through touch. If you have no active infection or diagnosis, even if you had multiple partners, I feel it's a great idea to get the vaccine, particularly the one that protects you against the largest number of strains - it's entirely possible that even if you are infected with one or two of the most common strains, that you will still benefit from immunity against the other 7.

I'm not doing a promotional campaign and I understand that it is a significant financial burden (I'm feeling it... thankfully the tax man gave me a refund this year) but if you don't want to spend £400-£500 on the vaccine, at least go get it in the NHS for free, even if it's only the quadrivalent version - people of both sexes up to 25 can get it for free, as well as MSM up to 45 and some transgender people as well. The first results of the national vaccination programme are coming to light, as the first cohorts are reaching adulthood, and they are spectacular to say the least - reductions in over 85% in the most common high risk strains in young women, 90% reduction in the occurrence of genital warts in 15-17 year olds. Don't let yourself get hung-up in the pseudo-scientific mambo-jambo of anti-vaxxers and consider the vaccine.

Regarding symptoms, I still itch all over, but intensity varies quite a bit, although it’s worst atm. Urinary symptoms have been worsening with time. Had a couple of bumps pop-up between my buttocks and in the crease between the buttock and the thigh. Got better in ~48h. No blisters although they scabbed and I have “peeling” skin in my perianal/inner buttocks area.. like the skin after a bad sun burn. I also had a blood blister pop-up in my scrotum, towards the back of it (the part closer to the perineum). It didn’t hurt or itch or anything – until I stupidly tried to pop it – then it hurt for a couple of days, and then it was gone. I think it was a burst capillary, because I could see the little blood vessel leading to and from the blister. Also, it wasn’t on the skin, but rather under it, that’s why I couldn’t really pop it – I squeezed and it inflated a little bit, like a tiny balloon, but never enough to break the skin.

Edited by percival112

percival112
Posted (edited)
Update:

Day 127. Just a quick update for those who might still be following this thread - in particularly those who might, at some point, have associated their experience with the symptoms I've written about. I retested at 17,5 weeks, 123 days, so a little bit over 4 months, and results are as before - positive HSV-1 and negative HSV-2. Brilliant turnover time for the results, even faster then the previous times, something like 53 hours!

Still have plenty of symptoms. Itching and pinching in the genital area, most noticeably now on the penis head, and now I've had two zits/pimples appear on the shaft of my penis. One showed up earlier this week, towards the base of the shaft, no pain or itching, just a red raised bump with a whitish head. Tried to pop it and I couldn't. Eventually, after a couple of days, by rubbing the skin between my fingers I was eventually able to "pop" it, and a "waxy" white substance came out and it bled quite substantially. A day or so later I had another pop up a bit up on the shaft, closer to the foreskin that covers the "rim" of the gland. Couldn't get that to pop either but have been trying not to mess too much with that, trying to decide if its worth going to the clinic for them to have a look and I'm concerned about the bleeding. Unlike the previous one, this one I can "feel", in terms of itchiness and discomfort (not that it hurts or itches particularly but just that I can "feel" it's there) and the skin feels "tight". These pimples don't "look" like nothing specific - certainly not like herpes, but also not like HPV, nor MC (which has a "waxy" core) but it's typically raised and with a dimpled dome shape - these looks like a pimple you would get on your face, more like a cone, with the withe tip poking through of the skin - so, most likely, it's either an inflamed forcyde spot, or a clogged gland/pore. However, I never had them before.. and now I have two in quick succession.

General health has not been the best either. Curiously coinciding with the date of the test. Very bad headaches, light sensitivity and lower back pain. I had the oddest thing happen recently, when I had the strongest cramp, and the strongest pain, I've ever experienced. It was like something deep in my bowels (if I had to point it I would say in the area between the anus and prostate) was being squeezed so so so tightly that it eventually popped. Not sure if related or not, or if just another virus/infection my immune system is battling with. Been getting through the days on the basis of ibuprofen and that's what animated me to write this update since it's the best I've been feeling in days.

As for pursuing other causes, I've taken a course of antibiotics for the ent. faecalis found on my semen, not sure how well it went and will eventually have to retest. Tested another urine sample and they didn't find any abnormalities, which means that the epithelial cells were gone. It's tricky to follow up on this since the GP will close my "case" given this result. I'm considering doing some NGS PCR testing of both my urine and semen, but I'll have to order it from the US and then pray that my GP will follow up with treatment for whatever results come up. Also have a private urology and a dermo appointment lined up for next month.

I'll keep updating this thread until I'm able to figure out what's going on with me with some degree of conclusiveness in the hope that others will also continue to pursue a more accurate diagnosis. At this moment I believe using HSV to justify my symptoms is at least 92% wrong.

edit: Throughout these weeks I've compiled a list of places/labs/companies who do private HSV testing in the UK and whenever I'm feeling a little bit upbeat I'll edit it and post it since there are a considerable number of people from the UK on the forum who don't know where to begin when considering testing.
Edited by percival112

Tone123
57 minutes ago, percival112 said:
Update:

Day 127. Just a quick update for those who might still be following this thread - in particularly those who might, at some point, have associated their experience with the symptoms I've written about. I retested at 17,5 weeks, 123 days, so a little bit over 4 months, and results are as before - positive HSV-1 and negative HSV-2. Brilliant turnover time for the results, even faster then the previous times, something like 53 hours!

Still have plenty of symptoms. Itching and pinching in the genital area, most noticeably now on the penis head, and now I've had two zits/pimples appear on the shaft of my penis. One showed up earlier this week, towards the base of the shaft, no pain or itching, just a red raised bump with a whitish head. Tried to pop it and I couldn't. Eventually, after a couple of days, by rubbing the skin between my fingers I was eventually able to "pop" it, and a "waxy" white substance came out and it bled quite substantially. A day or so later I had another pop up a bit up on the shaft, closer to the foreskin that covers the "rim" of the gland. Couldn't get that to pop either but have been trying not to mess too much with that, trying to decide if its worth going to the clinic for them to have a look and I'm concerned about the bleeding. Unlike the previous one, this one I can "feel", in terms of itchiness and discomfort (not that it hurts or itches particularly but just that I can "feel" it's there) and the skin feels "tight". These pimples don't "look" like nothing specific - certainly not like herpes, but also not like HPV, nor MC (which has a "waxy" core) but it's typically raised and with a dimpled dome shape - these looks like a pimple you would get on your face, more like a cone, with the withe tip poking through of the skin - so, most likely, it's either an inflamed forcyde spot, or a clogged gland/pore. However, I never had them before.. and now I have two in quick succession.

General health has not been the best either. Curiously coinciding with the date of the test. Very bad headaches, light sensitivity and lower back pain. I had the oddest thing happen recently, when I had the strongest cramp, and the strongest pain, I've ever experienced. It was like something deep in my bowels (if I had to point it I would say in the area between the anus and prostate) was being squeezed so so so tightly that it eventually popped. Not sure if related or not, or if just another virus/infection my immune system is battling with. Been getting through the days on the basis of ibuprofen and that's what animated me to write this update since it's the best I've been feeling in days.

As for pursuing other causes, I've taken a course of antibiotics for the ent. faecalis found on my semen, not sure how well it went and will eventually have to retest. Tested another urine sample and they didn't find any abnormalities, which means that the epithelial cells were gone. It's tricky to follow up on this since the GP will close my "case" given this result. I'm considering doing some NGS PCR testing of both my urine and semen, but I'll have to order it from the US and then pray that my GP will follow up with treatment for whatever results come up. Also have a private urology and a dermo appointment lined up for next month.

I'll keep updating this thread until I'm able to figure out what's going on with me with some degree of conclusiveness in the hope that others will also continue to pursue a more accurate diagnosis. At this moment I believe using HSV to justify my symptoms is at least 92% wrong.

edit: Throughout these weeks I've compiled a list of places/labs/companies who do private HSV testing in the UK and whenever I'm feeling a little bit upbeat I'll edit it and post it since there are a considerable number of people from the UK on the forum who don't know where to begin when considering testing.

I hope you feel much better P. Thanks for the updates. I don't have many symptoms as to say but we know that doesn't mean nothing also I kno I was for sure exposed to hsv2 because the girl was positive. Even tho i had a biopsy done and it came back as hpv I've read the cells could be similar. Someone can correct me I'll try to find the post about someone being misdiagnosed the same way. As to why would I show symptoms to something that usually won't present symptoms has me second guessing it.  I felt good about the negative western blot at 34 weeks. I'm getting close to the 1 year mark and probably test again then. I have no choice but to believe science at that point. Have you given any thought to getting the western blot? I too will update if someone ever comes here looking for the same answers to the questions I had. 

Tone123

Also P hpv can be in forms of small pimples. Mine was a bump under the skin that lingered for months before I finally manned up and had them do the biopsy. Hpv was the last thing on my mind as 1 dermatologist thought mallescum. I wasn't convinced cause it was under the skin not over. I just knew it wasn't hsv cause I know how it works as I've had oral cold sores. It just lingered like that for months. No pain per say but mild burn at times and irritation also hpv symptoms. So it could be just that to what you may be dealing with. I just thought I'd give it time to see if it ulcered cause hsv is all I was thinking it could be. Try to have them do a biopsy and look into getting the western blot. 

percival112
44 minutes ago, Tone123 said:

I hope you feel much better P. Thanks for the updates. I don't have many symptoms as to say but we know that doesn't mean nothing also I kno I was for sure exposed to hsv2 because the girl was positive. Even tho i had a biopsy done and it came back as hpv I've read the cells could be similar. Someone can correct me I'll try to find the post about someone being misdiagnosed the same way. As to why would I show symptoms to something that usually won't present symptoms has me second guessing it.  I felt good about the negative western blot at 34 weeks. I'm getting close to the 1 year mark and probably test again then. I have no choice but to believe science at that point. Have you given any thought to getting the western blot? I too will update if someone ever comes here looking for the same answers to the questions I had. 

Hi Tone. Hope you are doing well. I doubt a trained professional would mistake HPV for HSV cells. Just from googling it, the viruses look nothing alike. Also, HPV does present symptoms - mild in most cases, and mostly for low-risk strains, but also for a couple of high-risk as well.

I would take your WB result and run with it. It won't get any more definitive than that. I haven't considered the blot, mainly because I'm in the UK and it's too pricey and too much hassle. And for the price of the blot I could pay for my HPV vaccine or get the NGS PCR tests I intend on doing. So, because of several negative IgG's, negative swabs and negative visual observations by doctors, without typical symptoms, and so far from the usual outbreak window, I think that my money is better spent elsewhere. Maybe one day if I have some money and time to spare.. or if I'm visiting the US...

Will be following your posts as well.

47 minutes ago, Tone123 said:

Also P hpv can be in forms of small pimples. Mine was a bump under the skin that lingered for months before I finally manned up and had them do the biopsy. Hpv was the last thing on my mind as 1 dermatologist thought mallescum. I wasn't convinced cause it was under the skin not over. I just knew it wasn't hsv cause I know how it works as I've had oral cold sores. It just lingered like that for months. No pain per say but mild burn at times and irritation also hpv symptoms. So it could be just that to what you may be dealing with. I just thought I'd give it time to see if it ulcered cause hsv is all I was thinking it could be. Try to have them do a biopsy and look into getting the western blot. 

That's given me the push to go the clinic and ask to have it checked and try to get a biopsy. Mines are definitely under the skin. I read your reply and went to the loo... tried to find the pimple and it actually took me a while to figure out where it was... 🤣... it's that small... I guess that the doctor will tell me like last time that it's too soon and I'll have to wait and see. But now I'm definitely in the territory where such infections would become symptomatic. I guess that that window would close in a couple more months, so, up until October/November I will still be checking if I'm not developing any symptoms.