World's Largest Herpes Support Group
RebeccaJ

PRICE OF VALILCYCOLVIR? Doctors won't prescribe

RebeccaJ

So if I ever want to have a relationship and not pass it, I would need to go on suppressive therapy. A daily dose of VALILCYCOLVIR or acyclovir if bought online from a super drug store is about £180 for 3 months. That's ridiculously expensive. When I went to my gp they told me they don't prescribe suppressive therapy and that condoms are my only option for protecting a partner. They said the sexual health clinic might Be able to prescribe them but not likely. So what then, to protect my partner I'm going to have to spend £180 every 3 months or so? Surely this can't be right. Who else has been prescribed anti virals on the nhs because I'm actually desperate! I want to reduce chances of giving this virus to someone else as much as possible and won't be happy perusing a relationship without this precaution!

bluebell87

if you tell your gp you suffer from frequent outbreaks that are really bad and getting you down ? maybe they would prescribe then? 

:) 

RebeccaJ
19 hours ago, bluebell87 said:

if you tell your gp you suffer from frequent outbreaks that are really bad and getting you down ? maybe they would prescribe then? 

:) 

I did say this, they said they can only prescribe a short course of antivirals which you take whilst experiencing an outbreak, that they don't offer daily suppressive therapy and that condoms are my best option. I'm going to go back to the sexual health clinic soon and see what they say because I cannot afford to pay for daily suppressive therapy :( I just pray for a way i can feel comfortable persuing a sexual relationship again ah

G77

Hi you can get 3 months suppression of aciclovir from superdrug for £49. I just googled it online and it came up. There's also an online pharmacy called my pharmacy that sells them for around £50. 

RebeccaJ
4 minutes ago, G77 said:

Hi you can get 3 months suppression of aciclovir from superdrug for £49. I just googled it online and it came up. There's also an online pharmacy called my pharmacy that sells them for around £50. 

Thats okay I guess. £50 a month though? It seems alien to me that we have to pay for suppressive therapy. Why isn't it available through the nhs? Do you take anti-virals and have you passed the virus onto anyone whilst on them?

G77

It's £50 for a 3 month supply. I don't take anti virals apart from with my initial ob. I've not been near a man since...1 year! I'm not interested at the min 

Kurdt01

I get a generic 3 month supply of valtrex in the US for about $50...that’s one pill a day at 1000mg a pill.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD?
    Get started with testing options here

• meg2
      Soo I had a conversation with the person who I'm about 95% sure gave me herpes. After I was diagnosed back in May, I texted him to let him know and that he should get tested asap. I also let him know that if anything comes up, to let me know. Fast forwarded to yesterday, he recently has been reaching out to me to start a conversation. I'm not sure why. Anyway, I brought it up and asked him if he ever got tested. He told me he did and that he was all good, and asked what I meant by that because I thought they tested me for everything. I told him they did... but I was just asking. It seems like he got defensive. However, I didn't specifically ask if he got a routine screen with a herpes test or just a regular screen without one. I got really overwhelmed... angry, sad, etc. and just didn't even reply to the last thing he said because it was upsetting.   He kept insisting that he's clean and he wasn't lieing that after we had sex that he was clean. Even after I told him, he said he had 0 symptoms and didn't notice anything. He said if he did, he would of never had sex with me that day. I tried to inform him that sometimes you can be asymptomatic and not even know you have it. Even after my swab/bloodwork came back positive... luckily, I only get prodones of tingling every once in awhile since my original diagnosis. So far so good. Granted, as I've said before one part of my bloodwork was negative. But  I obviously know I have it because my OB did a swab of the small cuts and from reading my results it said positive. I guess I'm just frustrated with him... but maybe he really didn't know. It's hard to tell. I'm just venting
    • WilsoInAus
      Praise the Lord for the healing powers of colonics ... and peppermint foot scrubs.
    • Screwed
      I was also dx in June, definitely not thinking of having any prospects on the love life. I actually thought last year it was time to find someone to spend my life with and have a family. I actually I’m so mad at myself, because I believe the dude who gave me this knew, he had this crap.  At that I had also been so careful and picky and the year I tell myself it’s time to open myself and get to know someone this bullshit happens. Never trust someone who gives you too much attention, lesson learned. I hate myself now and days. I have shut everyone out. I can’t deal with anything. It was hard to function. I cry telling myself now I have to live by myself forever and just kill that dream of being married or having children which really hurts. 
    • Screwed
      Look up Dr Axe on his website for candida cleanse   
    • Mr Fasting
      Maybe not with doctor's medication but with fasting, colonic's yes it is i have seen the proof!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.