World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MikeHerp

Exploring the associations of herpes simplex virus infection and cognitive dysfunction in schizophrenia: Studies in India

MikeHerp

Indian J Psychiatry. 2018 Oct-De

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30581203

CONCLUSIONS:

Indian studies are consistent with a causative role for HSV-1 in cognitive dysfunction regardless of schizophrenia diagnosis; more rigorous studies of the causal hypothesis are needed, particularly larger randomized controlled trials.

blurneworder
1 hour ago, MikeHerp said:

CONCLUSIONS:

Indian studies are consistent with a causative role for HSV-1 in cognitive dysfunction regardless of schizophrenia diagnosis; more rigorous studies of the causal hypothesis are needed, particularly larger randomized controlled trials.

Does this refer to immediate effects? Since getting HSV1, my cognitive function has definitely been lower.

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, blurneworder said:

Does this refer to immediate effects? Since getting HSV1, my cognitive function has definitely been lower.

Did you ever have cognitive function in excess of what you have today?

Do you actually have HSV-1?

When did you get infected with it, do you know?

You’ve been on strong anti-depressants for over a decade,  one side effect is reduced cognitive ability.

WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, MikeHerp said:

CONCLUSIONS:

What a load of rubbish. 

Einstein had HSV-1, maybe it improves cognitive ability?

In any event, it is one of those correlates that pops up and is studied in dozens of papers each year. In most cases, allowance for other risk factors results in a finding that HSV-1 is independent of cognitive function and it’s movement.

This paper is very typical of the studies: https://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=hsv-1+cognitive+ability+research&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DFuBp1SwzHKcJ

MikeHerp

But it wasn't just a correlation study. 

RESULTS OF INDIAN STUDIES:

Cross-sectional study: HSV-1 infection was associated with modest dysfunction, especially on attention (accuracy) and spatial processing (speed).

LONGITUDINAL STUDY:

HSV-1 seropositive participants had lower scores at baseline on 6/16 measures, regardless of SZ diagnoses. At follow-up, there was a significant decline in HSV-1-positive participants for abstraction and mental flexibility and emotion discrimination.

RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL:

Significantly, greater improvement in accuracy index of emotion discrimination in the valacyclovir-treated versus placebo sample was found.

WilsoInAus

Yes @Mikeike3 it is simply correlative. Where is the examination of the biological impact on cognition? That is the distinction of correlative.

And once again you have refused to read other material put forward.

That paper which is simply reflective of the issue with the study you refer to, is that once normalised for known factors of cognitive decline, that data has never indicated that HSV-1 impacts upon cognitive ability. The paper I have referred to has a much higher sample size. 

So why did the paper conclude that HSV-1 has no impact on cognitive ability?