World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hi202020

Shingles confused for HSV-1?

hi202020

I’ve been experiencing post herpetic neuralgia and I had the thought: is it at all possible that a case of shingles / herpes zoster would be misdiagnosed as HSV-1? I personally was swabbed and tested positive for GHSV-1. However; the more I read and learn about this virus the more I realize doctors and medical community don’t always know what they’re talking about. Is it possible that some strains of shingles are similar enough to HSV that they would be misidentified? 

I know it’s possible to have genital shingles which are also contagious so I’m wondering if this is at all possible.

WilsoInAus

If you had a swab then there is no doubt, you have HSV-1. 

As you pointed out in another post, you do not have neuralgia but there may be an issue on with your immune system attacking your tissue - your body adjusting to the virus.

Anothet issue that happens is that stress and tension on the muscles in your pelvis causes a dysfunction of pains, burning and itching. Have a look at protadynia that accompanies a herpes infection for some men.

hi202020
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

If you had a swab then there is no doubt, you have HSV-1. 

As you pointed out in another post, you do not have neuralgia but there may be an issue on with your immune system attacking your tissue - your body adjusting to the virus.

Anothet issue that happens is that stress and tension on the muscles in your pelvis causes a dysfunction of pains, burning and itching. Have a look at protadynia that accompanies a herpes infection for some men.

My symptoms are exactly as PHN is described - pins and needles, itching, burning, sharp pain, crawling under the skin sesnsation, etc. There are hundreds more cases I’ve found in my research of people who experience PHN like symptoms from HSV. I don’t know 100% what’s going on but it sure feels like neuralgia/ nerve pain from the HSV virus activity.

What publication are you citing regarding immune system attacking the tissue? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me but I’m open to reading up on it, can you please provide a link? Also, how long does the immune response typically do this for? And is this an “autoimmune” response you’re referring to? I’m hoping this isn’t a multiple year or even lifelong thing. 

I looked up the protadynia and it did not seem to describe what I’m experiencing but I’m not sure I was looking at the best article, what publication do you recommend for that? 

Edited by hi202020

WilsoInAus

Hi @hi202020 note that all immune disorders of over activity are related to the immune system attacking the body tissue. They can be highly serious issues such as: lupus, multiple sclerosis, diabetes (type 1), Hasimoto’s etc.

Prostadynia is an umbrella term for a number of issues in the genital region. Often you are able to drill down to a more specific cause but sometimes not. The issues in the umbrella are such things as prostatitis, pudenal nerve ‘entrapment’, erythromelagia and fibromyalgia to name a few. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• England1995
      Hi Aussie_gurl, how did you sort this issue out? I am experiencing it.     thanks!
    • MikeHerp
      Hey Guys, I prepared this draft message to the admin at the "+Support Groups" HSV community.  Pls let me know what you think if you have any comments or suggestions before I send it. ________________________________________________ Hello, Thank you for your message.   Perhaps I could run this by you here to get your view first.   In a nut shell, we are part of an HSV community which is helping to support HSV cure research.  I know "cure" is a bit of a dirty word in the HSV community, but please kindly hear me out and, if you don't mind, please check out some of the information I share. The Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center has been making some serious progress towards an HSV cure, even though commercialization is still tentative and some years away.  They are using a technique called gene editing, and with it, they have been able to target the latent form of HSV and destroy it by disrupting its DNA.  They've been able to remove over 50-90% of latent HSV when tested in mice, in effect partially curing mice from HSV. A lot of people are excited about this research.  It is partially funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH), but it is also being supported through private donations from our community. Our donations have enabled their team to progress to testing in guinea pigs before the funding for that was available from the NIH.  I'd like to ask you and the powers that be here, whether it might be ok to post about their research and to also post the link to the donation drive.  Our own admins at Honeycomb.click, have let us post about it and even pinned our main post on this, which has helped us to get many people to contribute to supporting this.  Over 200 members have donated and this has raised $38,000 for this research this year. These funds are being put to good use, as explained in the last video presentation from FHC, where Dr. Jerome who heads up this research has noted that these funds have enabled them to proceed to guinea pig testing. I'd like to share some info links with you. First is a 2016 peer reviewed scientific research paper where they showed they could edit and deactivate 2-4% of latent HSV in mice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5026126/ Next is an article from Mens Health Magazine about the progress of this research from earlier this year, noting that removal of latent HSV has reached up to 90% in mice. https://www.menshealth.com/health/a26306319/herpes-cure-gene-editing/ That article obviously isn't a scientific paper, but it does help to explain what they are doing in layman's terms. Here is The latest from a series of video presentations from the Fred Hutch team.  A little past the 46 minute mark Dr. Jerome gives an acknowledgment to the funds that we have raised and explains how the funding is being put to use.   Finally, a link to the NIH website which shows the grant that this research has received from the NIH last year (this grant will be active through 2023). https://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending_project_listing.aspx?FY=2018&ARRA=N&DCat=Sexually+Transmitted+Infections (Note there are 4 pages there, and the grant for Keith Jerome is on one of the pages only ("Endonuclease-mediated disruption of latent HSV as curative therapy - $450,000 in 2018). Finally, the link to the FHC donations page for supporting this HSV cure research is here:  http://engage.fredhutch.org/site/TR?px=1709211&fr_id=1574&pg=personal After looking at these infos, please kindly consider whether we would be allowed to post about the research and about the donation drive.  We think it is important to get everyone on board, even if it's just a small donation of $10 to $15.  This is now winding through animal studies with the aim of being tested in human clinical trials.  This is a legitimate effort and we think it's an effort that is worth supporting by our community of HSV positives and related stakeholders.  I know you have posted a disclaimer about not posting about "cures", but we presume that to mean fake or scam cures ("the great Dr. Okoloko's medicinal herbal tincture etc.").  This is real and legitimate research and it's exciting. Please kindly consider if you would allow us to share this with your community.  If so, we'd be very happy to share with you first the draft post and take any comments or feedback from you before posting it.   Thank you for your consideration.   
    • sub16610
      Imagine we're both HSV2 positive and we have sex. A few days later I have a huge outbreak. Is it randomness or could having sex with another infected person trigger an outbreak ?
    • vzhe
      400mg Pritelivir has been shown to be worse than a smaller dose daily (and that is what pharmacodynamics would predict as well). You'd expect the same with Amenamevir, though i'm not entirely sure about its half-life right now. TL;DR A weekly dose is for convenience only, i'd always prefer a more effective daily or bi-weekly dose.
    • needahope
      Yup.. Absolutely agreed! 👍 wilson has been helped many of us! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.