World's Largest Herpes Support Group
AHerring

Hi, I'm new.

AHerring

Hey, my name is Amelia. I was recently diagnosed with herpes, and I got it from a guy who slept with me and didn't tell me he had it. It's been a whole thing. Anyway, it's been a real confidence killer and I'm struggling not to let it be something that defines my sex life. I'd love some advice from other people about how they got through this? I'm on an anti-viral and I've had extensive conversations with my healthcare provider, and that's helped. I'm just struggling to get back to myself.

meg2

Hi Amelia,

I completely understand how you are feeling. I was recently diagnosed as well, I feel like I haven't been myself. Luckily, my first outbreak was mild but I'm in a place now where Im worried about when it is going to come back again. I have been trying to use forums like this and have been educating myself as much as possible about the condition. 

I feel like finding things you enjoy doing can take your mind off of things. I find when I have a really fun weekend hanging out with friends it helps make dealing with it a little easier.

AHerring

AH!! Yes!! I feel like I'm not myself! I really love sex and this feels like it's changed my dating life so much because even though I tell everyone I want to be intimate with, there's some sort of extra responsibility on me to make sure they don't get it. I'm on an antiviral, I make sure there's a condom within reach, but I don't know what I'm gonna do if someone I sleep with gets it.

meg2

I totally understand! I wish sex was desirable for me. It’s scared me into not wanting to have sex for a long time lol. 

I feel the same way!! It’s almost like added pressure because you want to make sure you’re taking care of it and not passing it on. It’s so stressful!