World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
CatEyes

Need Advice about HSV2

CatEyes

I’ve just started seeing a man who I REALLY like.  Thankfully, he did the right thing last night and told me he had two partners who had HSV2 and subsequently tested positive for the antibodies.  He also said he’s never had an outbreak or any symptoms at all, but that’s still no guarantee he can’t pass it on to me.  He said he can take antivirals to decrease the chance of transmission.  And of course he’d wear a condom.  He told me to please not do anything I’m uncomfortable with and he’d understand if this was my exit pass.  I told him I wanted to do more research, which I did.  And it doesn’t look good to me.  I slept on it last night and woke up this morning thinking this is way too risky.  I don’t want to live with HSV2 for the rest of my life.  It’s such a shame though because I really like him. Thoughts?  

Slkxx

It’s your choice at the end of the day, it’s not unreasonable to be put off by hsv2. I can’t think of anyone who would actually want it. 

It is a shame but it is what it is. I will say the risk of transmission is very low, I think it’s 2% risk from male to female in a year with condoms and anti-virals, but there will always be that little bit of risk.

Maybe carry on seeing him for a little while, without sex, if you’re unsure. He’ll either be somebody you don’t mind taking the risk for or it’ll be a deal breaker, but at least you’ll know you really thought it through.

CatEyes

Thank you, Slkxx.  What you said above is a route I’ve considered.  I’m surprised how low the potential risk of transmission is.  This is the kind of information I really need.  

Slkxx

It’s a lot easier to prevent when you know you’ve got it, know how to reduce the risk of transmission and actually care about not giving it to anybody else- which he clearly does. It spreads very easily when people don’t know they’ve got it or simply don’t care

WilsoInAus

Hey @CatEyes I’d be curious about his test, especially as he hasn’t had an outbreak. 

Ask him what test he had, IgG or IgM and what were the numerical results.

Things aren’t usually this vague which may suggest a little digging will shed some light.

CatEyes

@WilsoInAus Yes, I read about the difference between the two tests.  I had the same thought- that I should find out which one it was and what the values were.  

Why do say say this is vague?  Just curious.  And thanks for your response.

WilsoInAus
59 minutes ago, CatEyes said:

@WilsoInAus Yes, I read about the difference between the two tests.  I had the same thought- that I should find out which one it was and what the values were.  

Why do say say this is vague?  Just curious.  And thanks for your response.

Vague as he describes zero symptoms and that he didn't confirm with you that it was indeed an IgG test he had with a high value. 

CatEyes
7 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Vague as he describes zero symptoms and that he didn't confirm with you that it was indeed an IgG test he had with a high value. 

Yes, I’m guessing he was assuming that information wouldn’t be meaningful to me.  At the time it wouldn’t have been.  But I have done some research.  I will ask him.  I also know there are plenty of others who have zero symptoms, however.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• Vintage7
      Hey I can tell you be honest and tell your partner whats going on.  Its the truth and you'll be free from it.  Have protected sex from now on and go see your doctor again.  There's a good chance you didn't pass it on and that's what your most worried about but honesty is key when not sure.
    • Vintage7
      Ive had herpes for over 30 years and I had a heart attack for a blocked artery.  Could be something.
    • Vintage7
      Hey I don't think you have herpes.  Maybe something else.  I would take antibiotics.  A strong dose of acyclovir or whatever works best.  It could be something bacterial like chlamedia or syphillus (sometimes a blood test gives a negative response so you don't think you have it) or a shingle type reaction that will clear up on its own.  I'm no experrt but you should look at all options and don't give up.
    • Vintage7
      Hi, First time ever on a forum.  I have become secretive having the virus for over 33 years.  Guess you could say it has controlled my life, my decisions, my emotions but I have a good life and family to the contrary.  Something that destroyed me in my youth but didn't completely wipe me out.  My only two regrets were bad doctor advice and not being responsible with it before alternate medicines came out in 95'.  I don't wish it upon anybody but I have to live with the fact I had given it to others.    The reason I have written on this forum is to tell people of something remarkable that needs to be shared.  Now, you can be skeptical or think I'm bullshitting, but what I'm telling you is real and needs to be looked at in the medical world.  I have the virus pretty good meaning it flares up regurarly even using Valtrex but Valtrex works really good..  It has slowed down in the past 5 years or so but always seems to be building even on medication and the minute I'm off it seems to spring up over night.  What I do know is stress is the number one cause to trigger an episode so those who stress less are better off but anything can be stressful such as heat in summertime or being scared in a movie theater these are stresses unlike job or relationship related but have the same affect. I had a heart attack early summer of 2019.  I'm young for a person to have a heart attack and don't fit the body type either.  Blew friends away and I couldn't believe it myself.  The funny thing it saved my life.  I didn't know how better I felt after getting a stent to unblock a clogged artery.  97% blocked went to 0% blocked.  Now the thing is I haven't taken any meds to control herpes since the heart attack and I havent had an occurence since.  I don't feel it anymore.  8 months and no herpes and no Valtrex.  The only possibilities I can think of are the unblocked heart let blood flow where it didn't allowing the anti bodies to uncover the herpes hidden site in the nerves, the blood pressure medicine slowing my heart rate so Im relaxed more and maybe the blood thinner medicine is doing something by thinning the blood.  I have always had an episode every 4-6 weeks for 33 years without medication.  Something changed when I had a heart attack and stopped the herpes from re-occuring.  I will feel even more happy when a year goes by but I'm in heaven now.  I tend to think one of the two heart medications are working and if they are they are for more useful than 25 year old Valtrex is.  What bugs me the worst about herpes is the corporate greed that lets it flourish. One medicine that hasn't changed in 25 years?  It happens to keep it in check and thats it?  Nothing else.  Right just keep having to purchase Valtrex it sounds like a great money maker.  But this is real I believe there is a better medication.  Also I don't have alergies anymore and I don't feel as sick when I have a cold and I haven't gotten the flu.  (I don't get flu shots).  Something I have to share.
    • Umajin
      I was diagnosed with a single, small herpes sore decades ago.  Never had another outbreak after that. on Dec 28, I vigorously masterbated, while also having been flu-like and under a tremendous amount of personal stress.  Basically, the tri-fecta... 6 bumps came the next day, formed blisters over the next 2 days and then slowly healed over. its now been 1 month and I can still see the remnants of the papules.   in fact today, I was having a tingling feeling and general “warmness” around the area. im wondering if I’m getting another outbreak?  And how long it takes for the papules to completely disappear?   thanks in advance for any thoughts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.