World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Hispanic820

Will there ever be a cure?

Hispanic820

Do any of you guys have hope that a cure will be discovered for herpes? If so, do you think anytime soon or is it in the FAR FAR distant future. I'm curious to know where everyone's hopes are in regards to a cure or if anyone has any inside info regarding new treatments.

justwondering123

a cure is very unlikely to be discovered it this generation. A vaccine is a completely different story but it still a ways out.

VVK

I'm into biochemistry and microbiology - I can tell you that there are some very neat ideas currently being researched that may lead to a vaccine and/or cure in your lifetime. If I were to be optimistic, I would say that you might see a vaccine in the next 6-12 years. At the very least, you will see much better treatments. Realistically, I would say that there will be an answer in 15-30 years.

The problem is that HSV isn't getting the attention that it deserves since it isn't as lethal as HIV and many non-viral diseases currently out there (malaria, tuberculosis). Did you know that there are actually 8 different types of HSV? Chances are that you have at least 5 of them, even if you don't have HSV-1 and HSV-2! There is very little awareness of HSV by the public. However, everybody on these forums knows at least a bit about the extent of costs involved for people who are affected by HSV either directly or indirectly.

There is also the issue of drug companies having a stranglehold on treatments and making millions off of suffering. HSV is a money generator, just like diabetes, cancer, and many other diseases. Unfortunately, medicine is a business - first and foremost.

Just don't give up hope! :) Raise awareness and point scientists and funding in the right direction.

MsLucy

I personally don't hold out a lot of hope for cure anytime in the near future, but a vaccine to prevent the spread would be a huge step. That at least would spare future generations from having to deal with it. Even if they never find a cure for herpes, I'd be happy if they could just find a cure for diabetes and cancer. Compared to those two, herpes is a very small thing, but I know too many people who's lives have been ravaged by diabetes and cancer.

VVK

Caliope - sorry, I was typing the response very early in the morning. The part about the 8 viruses should have been HHV not HSV. HHV-1 and HHV-2 are the simplex viruses.

As for the facts, there is a current gravitation of research towards the use of modified viruses to treat a variety of diseases, including HSV. I know that there is some info about this here on the forums (in clinical trials, I think). However, there are a lot of projects in research that aren't easy to find without browsing through scientific journals.

Whether this research yields a cure or a vaccine for HSV is speculation, but it does look very promising. Personally, I think a little bit of speculation can be healthy.