World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
FeelingFoolishUK

Cant tske this all in :(

FeelingFoolishUK

Well where do I start. Im male 28 years old and live in the UK About 4 weeks ago my now ex (gf) informed me she was going for an STD test as she found a boil down there. She told me on the phone that the nurse that tested her said it doesnt look like anything you could catch. But as a precaution they would do a test and results would be due in 7 days.

Well its been 4 weeks now and today I got "the call" she was diagnosed with Genital Herpes. She was told monday night about this.

Now im not going to point fingers as its probably due to me that this has occured. The only thing is ive never shown any symptoms of this ever nor my previous partner of four years prior to this "fling".

Its all up in the air at the moment but the facts are staring me in the face and I cant hide away (as much as im trying to do now). I know it affacts people menatally more than some people physically, but at this moment in time I really do not know what to do.

and hello to the forum

lilanne19

It's true, if you've never been tested you'll never know if you gave it to her or vice versa. The first thing I would do is get tested, don't cross any bridges unless you have to. Some people have this virus and rarely if ever show symptoms so that the fact that you've never had any is a moot point. They could've been so mild that you never even noticed them. Get tested and find out if you have it, if you do have it you're in a good position because a. the diagnosis will not come totally out of the blue so you won't be completely blindsided and b. you already know that having it is not the end of the world. You may still be devastated but you know you'll get through it. However, the same thing applies to her. She could've had it for years and never knew it, if you used a condom then the better for you. While condoms don't really protect women from herpes, they do a better job of protecting men so if she had it previously and you protected yourself then you do have a shot. So, go get tested and get out of limbo. Limbo can be worse than the actual diagnosis, trust me.

FeelingFoolishUK

Wow its pretty late but I cant sleep (wonder why). Im going to get tested and Im actually prepeared for the worst. But this whole situation has had be going back in my mind to years ago. Trying to remember if ive ever had a cold saw (i had a few at a younger age) and chicken pox. Now I know for the very few that this is a one time deal (regarding the first OB).

If I do have GH then ill deal with it. It isnt going to effect my life (dont think ill have to wear a sign around my neck). But this has been the mother of ALL wake up calls in my life. But at the moment im just in the "googling for info" stage.

Trying to keep positive about this

Claudia

There are a lot of unknowns here, especially since you haven't had an genital outbreak. However, it is important for you to be aware that if you have had cold sores, you can infect someone else with your cold sores/herpes orally, genitally, or wherever else your mouth area contacts their skin, especially if they do not already have protective antibodies.

Claudia