World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Spades

Unsure of Herpes results

Spades

Hello everybody,

I have been newly diagnosed with HSV-2. I was experiencing symptoms and decided to take a full STD panel test from online in which they send it to quest lab for testing. Everything came back negative except I had a High IGG, Type specific AB index of 2.41. My symptoms have been itching in the shaft of the penis as well as the tip and also some anal itching. I have checked everyday for any blisters, sore, lesions or bumps and till this day, nothing. The itching did last me approx. 2 weeks only on the shaft and sometimes the tip area. At this point from reading everything online and the forums, they say to be 100% positive, my index value should be over 3.5. If anybody can please help me determine if the test was correct also I would like to know that if hypothetically speaking I don't have HSV. Why would I ever get any type of index? Thank you for your help.

WilsoInAus

Hey @Spades and welcome to the website.

I should start by say that hour symptoms are not suggestive of herpes in that many of those type of symptoms are downstream of lesions.

Regardless your test is low positive which does not confirm infection as you’ve identified.

Reasons for false positives include an oral HSV-1 infection and rogue proteins that stick to the testing antigen.

To proceed might beat to know was their an exposure of concern in the week before symptoms started? How long from that exposure to your test?

Spades

Hello @WilsoInAus and thank you for your response.

I have had sex with only one female without condoms. Twice last year and once this year around May 27 & 28. After the recent sex a week passed by and that's when the itching started. I got my result back June 4th. I spoke to the representative that contacts you and told me that even though I slept with someone on May 27th and 28th that wouldn't matter for the IGG test because it detects HSV antibodies months out. I had no choice to agree since I didn't know much about this condition. Ever since those results, as I explained, I had itching around the tip of penis in which I still itch till this day on and off, Shaft itched about 2 days and anus itched/sore for about 2 days. But I checked my penis area every single day and nothing of the OB seems to come up. If I do have HSV, can we say that these itching for so long may be what I experience as an OB since everybody is different?

WilsoInAus

@Spades in the end most people are not different, herpes is as herpes does.

Your best course of action is to wait until 12’weeks after this episode and repeat the testing. 

Spades

@WilsoInAus thank you and will do.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to do with the fact that my penis shaft itches still? And I have already taken a full STD panel which says negative for everything else.

WilsoInAus

@Spades remember STD tests are for largely dangerous asymptomatic diseases and not symptomatic or low grade issues.

Yeast or bacteria is a typical explanation for the itching, this is closely followed by stress.

Spades

Hello @WilsoInAus

Sorry to bother you again since we agreed Ill retest in 12 weeks. I have been thinking about this all weekend. I have read different articles online and in this forum stating that if you ever come positive for HSV IGG that you do in fact have the virus. So my question to you is that in your experience with all this, have you ever seen somebody get a positive result on one test and then another test come out negative. I have yet to get an outbreak or at least I don't think I have had one. When I think of outbreak i think of blisters, sore, lesions and scabs afterwards, don't know if anything else can happen with an outbreak. My penis tip and shaft still itch from time to time but nothing else has come up. Also in the case of me being positive, was is the estimated time that I will have an outbreak? Thank you very much for your time.

WilsoInAus

Hey @Spades. False positives are a feature of any antibody test, not just HSV. Not all positive test results mean you carry the virus.

Roughly half of results below 3.5 are true negative and half true positive. I'd suggest that's pretty close to being observed. Yes there are multiple members here who have had a low positive confirmed negative by Westernblot.

Here's one example: 

Outbreaks happen 2-12 days after infection.Other symptoms, and there rarely are, are downstream of having the lesions. There is no prodrome associated with an initial infection.

Spades

Hello @WilsoInAus @Quest

Update on medical check up:

So went to the doctors today and had a full physical taken(includes once again herpes IGG and IGM test) doctor check on my red spot on penis tip and said it didnt look like herpes. I told him about my positive IGG test and he told me the same as you guys but that also he has seen cases like mine as well. Its been about a month of symptoms which include just red spots with deep grooves on penis tip. And they tend to show up more during masturbation. I will attach a picture for you guys to see. This is what my penis tip has looked like for the past 1 1/2 months. I have gotten no blisters. Doctor recommended Lotromin for fungus. Anything else that is needed for more info is on top of this thread. Thank you for your time.

https://imgur.com/mJZkky2

WilsoInAus

@Spades sorry I missed responding. Your pic isn't overly suggestive of herpes. 

How many weeks is this test?

Spades
Posted (edited)

@WilsoInAusI took it today, so from when I slept with the girl (2 months).

Edited by Spades

Quest

Picture seems normal. Hopefully the doc gave you peace. Protiens that are the same size give false positives.

Spades

Hello @WilsoInAus @Quest

Just got back my test results from quest. They did a HSV 1+2 IgG Ql~IMMUNOASSAY and they both came back negative. I never had an outbreak so is it safe to say that I don't have HSV2?

Thanks

Quest

Yes, you are negative. Congrats

Note to others reading this. If it has  been 3 months since your last encounter and you haven't taken drugs that keep antibodies at a low count. I would say you are clear.

Spades
Posted (edited)

Hello @Quest @WilsoInAus

I just want to clarify something and then put this thing behind me. So my first HSV2 IGG test which was 8 weeks ago was positive with an index value of 2.41, never had an outbreak but did have similar symptoms. Test recently and now my IGG was negative, so in question, should I do further testing or should I take the news that i am truly negative and the first test was a false positive due to a rogue protein. Also i never took any antivirals.

The reason I ask is because my symptoms of itching on penis tip and shaft have not stopped. Doctor said it looked like fungus but its been about a week of applying Lotrimon and it still kind of bothers me.

Thank you for your guidance.

Edited by Spades

WilsoInAus

@Spades that is the nature of false positives. For many, they come and they go. The testing for HSV-2 Is sensitive, this negatives provide a lot of confidence.

If you need more confidence, then the Westernblot can provide that.

Quest

Yes, put it behind you! It was a false positive. There are lots of false positives with a number that low.