World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
JHenry

In anticipation of something to celebrate!

T9000
32 minutes ago, hunger4more said:

Oh dang that's about the same as me. Have you been rejected by everyone because of it?

hunger4more
26 minutes ago, T9000 said:

Oh dang that's about the same as me. Have you been rejected by everyone because of it?

Thats just it, I dont disclose or date... its a very personal private matter to me... very difficult to live with...  People are petty and uninformed as it is with less complicated things so I'm not interested in having to filter through shallow people but beyond that I myself am still struggling to cope with it. I don't think I ever can, atleasy not with the way I perceive and enjoy life. I constantly base everything I do around evading triggering an ob.... sleep, injury, diet etc.... so Its a very rigid and limiting living experience in many ways.... In fact Maybe I sound selfish but Im not interested in a more effective treatment, I want a cure or nothing. Look how theyve ignored developing further applications since valtrex. I refuse to even try it. Its not worth the side effects. This thing needs to be eliminated. 

Cas9
1 hour ago, IAmDesperate said:

Yeah I know that they are different but once ExcisionBio succeeds, hsv is cured. Would it still be useful if you try to cure something that is already cured? I don’t think so. That’s why I’m curious about why they don’t work together to figure out the problems with they’re having.

I'm quite sure Dr. Jerome knows about ExcisionBio. Also, ExcisionBio, if it does what they hope it will do, will not eradicate the virus. It's supposed to suppress viral replication but not sure to what degree; i.e. 80%? 90%?

P.S. You assume ExcisionBio will succeed; I wouldn't make that assumption.

IAmDesperate
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

I'm quite sure Dr. Jerome knows about ExcisionBio. Also, ExcisionBio, if it does what they hope it will do, will not eradicate the virus. It's supposed to suppress viral replication but not sure to what degree; i.e. 80%? 90%?

P.S. You assume ExcisionBio will succeed; I wouldn't make that assumption.

Oh okay, are you sure that ExcisionBio is only about suppresive therapy? They use gene therapy like Dr. Jerome so it’d be able to cut the virus’s DNA out of our neuron cell which means getting rid of the virus right? It’s just not as specific as meganucleases so means more off targets. But I get where you came from. If cas editing doesn’t work, we at least still have meganucleases.

I kinda feel better since Dr. Jerome’s problem is AAV and not the protein. It’s hard to manipulate but they already have it.

Edited by IAmDesperate

Cas9
31 minutes ago, IAmDesperate said:

Oh okay, are you sure that ExcisionBio is only about suppresive therapy? They use gene therapy like Dr. Jerome so it’d be able to cut the virus’s DNA out of our neuron cell which means getting rid of the virus right? It’s just not as specific as meganucleases so means more off targets. But I get where you came from. If cas editing doesn’t work, we at least still have meganucleases.

I kinda feel better since Dr. Jerome’s problem is AAV and not the protein. It’s hard to manipulate but they already have it.

Excision Bio is using CRISPR, not the man made meganuclease Dr. Jerome uses.  CRISPR is unable to destroy the latent virus. I believe it has to do with the size of the Cas enzyme; it's too big to get at the viral dna when the virus is dormant.

Dr. Jerome is the only one who has been able to destroy the latent virus.  His meganuclease is difficult to create, but it is doable, and he has in fact created it. His meganulease is much smaller than the Cas enzymes currently discovered in nature.  Note that there are many Cas enzymes and their sizes vary and so does their effectiveness.

IAmDesperate
45 minutes ago, hunger4more said:

Thats just it, I dont disclose or date... its a very personal private matter to me... very difficult to live with...  People are petty and uninformed as it is with less complicated things so I'm not interested in having to filter through shallow people but beyond that I myself am still struggling to cope with it. I don't think I ever can, atleasy not with the way I perceive and enjoy life. I constantly base everything I do around evading triggering an ob.... sleep, injury, diet etc.... so Its a very rigid and limiting living experience in many ways.... In fact Maybe I sound selfish but Im not interested in a more effective treatment, I want a cure or nothing. Look how theyve ignored developing further applications since valtrex. I refuse to even try it. Its not worth the side effects. This thing needs to be eliminated. 

I'm sorry and I understand the pain you're going through :( I know right? Everything seemed to go slow after valtrex and they only thought about better suppressive therapy but the only better suppressive therapy is cure. I don't know exactly when they started digging into gene editing but the first trial for that was in 2009 for editing in embryo and after that, I guess they only thought about using it for severe diseases like HIV, cancer and so on or the editing using protein was a new concept back then so no one wanted to try or even didn't know about to research. You're right. We need to get rid of this and get a preventative vaccine. I just went back to the thread "GREAT NEWS....." of MikeHerp to read them again and it seems like he's optimistic that a cure would enter the market soon. I also remember that, in Dr. Jerome's conference back in January, he did a research and most of the participants were positive that the cure would be public in 5 years and I believe Dr. Jerome wants to make that come true so here is hope!

IAmDesperate
5 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

Excision Bio is using CRISPR, not the man made meganuclease Dr. Jerome uses.  CRISPR is unable to destroy the latent virus. I believe it has to do with the size of the Cas enzyme; it's too big to get at the viral dna when the virus is dormant.

Dr. Jerome is the only one who has been able to destroy the latent virus.  His meganuclease is difficult to create, but it is doable, and he has in fact created it. His meganulease is much smaller than the Cas enzymes currently discovered in nature.  Note that there are many Cas enzymes and their sizes vary and so does their effectiveness.

Yeah he already has the protein so if he has an effective AAV (and no mutations) then everything is done. I just hope everything is going smoothly. I still have hope in ExcisionBio tho. The pipeline says that they'd enter trial in 2021. They still have more than 1 year to figure out these stuff. The pipeline also says "IND Enabling" for both HSV1&2's trials. Does that mean like the IND paper was sent and is in approving process? And do you know how long it would take to get IND approved?

Cas9
8 minutes ago, IAmDesperate said:

Yeah he already has the protein so if he has an effective AAV (and no mutations) then everything is done. I just hope everything is going smoothly. I still have hope in ExcisionBio tho. The pipeline says that they'd enter trial in 2021. They still have more than 1 year to figure out these stuff. The pipeline also says "IND Enabling" for both HSV1&2's trials. Does that mean like the IND paper was sent and is in approving process? And do you know how long it would take to get IND approved?

There's no reason not to have hope in Excision Bio.

As far as I know, they are in animal studies right now.

All I know about IND-enabling is what I got off the internet; i.e.

IND-Enabling -  Investigational New Drug (IND) is the key milestone prior to clinical testing on humans. Development of IND-enabling technologies is crucial for accelerate the discovery of new drugs and significantly reduce time to market and safety profile issues.

No, I don't know anything about the process and how long it takes.

I think you spend too much time on the edge of your seat expecting something to happen very soon.  You need to understand that very good progress is being made and there are lots of things in the herpes pipeline; i.e. preventative and therapeutic vaccines AND gene editing for functional and sterilization cures.  You should feel good about that. But in the mean time, do what you need to do to cope while you wait. I assume you're pretty young?

IAmDesperate
2 hours ago, Cas9 said:

IND-Enabling -  Investigational New Drug (IND) is the key milestone prior to clinical testing on humans. Development of IND-enabling technologies is crucial for accelerate the discovery of new drugs and significantly reduce time to market and safety profile issues.

I think you spend too much time on the edge of your seat expecting something to happen very soon.  You need to understand that very good progress is being made and there are lots of things in the herpes pipeline; i.e. preventative and therapeutic vaccines AND gene editing for functional and sterilization cures.  You should feel good about that. But in the mean time, do what you need to do to cope while you wait. I assume you're pretty young?

Yeah and the stigma hit me pretty hard since I'm originally from Asia and we don't have sex ed or STD education so the regret and self-hating are as bad as stigma. Hoping is the only way to get me out of suicidal thoughts. I know that a lot has been done and I'm glad. I just hope they continue with the hsv research instead of abandoning it cuz it's not life-threatening and I also hope that the big pharma conspiracy isn't real.

T9000
1 hour ago, IAmDesperate said:

I just hope they continue with the hsv research instead of abandoning it cuz it's not life-threatening and I also hope that the big pharma conspiracy isn't real.

The pharma conspiracy is not real trust me. In the United States the drug regulatory agencies being too strict and expensive is more of a problem for herpes. Valacyclovir has been off patent for a number of years.

MiLoBeng
7 hours ago, hunger4more said:

You sir just spoke my mind. I'm 25 and got myself diagnosed with this incurable disease just months ago. Been feeling moody and emptiness ever since. 🙁

Voyager2
Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 4:34 PM, JHenry said:

If I understand correctly, University of Pennsylvania and their candidate, Thrivalent (Now G103 I believe, was partnered with Immune Design, who has now partnered with Merck. 

@JHenry, thanks for the Einstein vaccine update. I'm so glad the Jacobs/Herold vaccine has finally found a home. This prophylactic vaccine stands to be a game changer.

But Harvey Friedman's trivalent vaccine at the U. of Penn may not be the same as Immune Design's G103 of several years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_simplex_research

Also I seem to recall that G103 didn't work so well and that our hopes there now rest on Sanofi's ACM-529. We probably would have heard about it if that was Friedman's trivalent vaccine. I hope his vaccine finds a home soon.

Between the two of them, I'd bet at least one hits the jack pot.

But it may not do me any good; I've been waiting since 1991!!!!!!!!!       

Edited by Voyager2

iFdUp
On 6/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, IAmDesperate said:

Yeah I know that they are different but once ExcisionBio succeeds, hsv is cured. Would it still be useful if you try to cure something that is already cured? I don’t think so. That’s why I’m curious about why they don’t work together to figure out the problems with they’re having.

The understanding that each team has is specialized for the type of editing they are aiming to achieve. Dr Jerome has been working with the endonuclease for quite a while, before Crispr was even invented. The progress he has made with his research is very unique and so far proven to be more effective than anything currently existing for Crispr. His efforts are just not compatible with the efforts of excision, not in a way that is similar enough for those two to really work together. 

IAmDesperate
On 6/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, Cas9 said:

I forgot to ask you. Is Dr. Jerome method sterilizing cure? In the video, he said his method eradicated the latent virus which means wipe the virus out of our body right? But in the article on Men's Health, it used functional cure instead. Functional cure will prevent reactivation from latent virus (means the virus is still in our body) while sterilizing cure wipes the virus completely, return the body to the state before it's infected.

Cas9
14 hours ago, IAmDesperate said:

I forgot to ask you. Is Dr. Jerome method sterilizing cure? In the video, he said his method eradicated the latent virus which means wipe the virus out of our body right? But in the article on Men's Health, it used functional cure instead. Functional cure will prevent reactivation from latent virus (means the virus is still in our body) while sterilizing cure wipes the virus completely, return the body to the state before it's infected.

You are correct. I didn't read the Men's Health article so I can't comment fully on it. Perhaps the term practical cure was used in the article because they may feel it would be difficult to get every single virus in every single cell. For example they may eradicate 90% of the latent virus throughout the ganglia. So in that case, it would serve as a practical cure since not every single virus was destroyed.