World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
InNeedOfAnswers

Need advice on oral issues

InNeedOfAnswers
Posted (edited)

I posted previously with full body issues I’ve been having since receiving oral sex in Thailand back in March. However I have been fully tested 12 weeks post exposure and all my results are negative and despite my concerns the attitude here in the UK is to just get on with life. Despite suffering from leg/testicle pain and skin changes on my penis.

however the reason I have returned to the forum on this occasion is to ask for help in regards to some oral issues. The main ones being a consistent swollen lip and white tongue with spots on it, see picture attached I would really appreciate any advice. 

https://ibb.co/hZtzYZR

Edited by InNeedOfAnswers

CheekyMunkey
Posted (edited)

Hi @InNeedOfAnswers. Your tongue doesn't look that far off what my tongue looks like. Except I don't have a sore lip. More of a tingle in the top right hand side of my mouth. I got my symptoms about 3 weeks ago having had unprotected oral and protected sex with someone. Issue is, Im getting itching in my hands, feet, shins, inner thighs and butt. I also have like a discoloured ring around the head of my penis. I'm intrigued to hear all you're results came back negative. Was that a blood test? I got told today at the GUM that they will not test for Herpes unless they see a sore to swab etc. And that none of my current symptoms resemple HSV.  Im also from the UK too.

In terms of the tongue they gave me doxycycline which is an antibiotic as I had pus in my pee and my tongue looked  like oral thrush.

Sorry about hijacking your thread. If you could direct me to the one about your initial issue that would be great. Your condition sounds interesting. (I found the thread so ignore this message)

Goodluck.

Edited by CheekyMunkey

InNeedOfAnswers

@CheekyMunkey hey man thanks for the reply! there’s the original post above. 

Yeah I also went to the gum clinic on a number of occasions and they only done the routine screening for all the other STDs but said they only take swabs for herpes if there are blisters present which is frustrating. They also told me to just basically get on with life as there’s not a lot they can do but I really want my symptoms to clear so I can move on. 

Yeah that’s interesting, has the medication helped your tongue? I have also had several changes on my penis.

CheekyMunkey

Hi @InNeedOfAnswers

I only got the meds yesterday. So Ive taken 3 tablets soo far. My tongues been getting better anyway. Defo not as sore as it was but Im still not completely sure its down to the tablets.

What I have noticed is that when I take the tablets I get a warm feeling inside my body and my itching does reduce but its still there a little. Im not sure if antibiotics are effective againest HPV. I didnt think they were. Lets see how I feel in a coupe of days. If the itching is gone by say the weekend then maybe they are working.

InNeedOfAnswers

@CheekyMunkey hello again mate thank you for the reply.

Just thought I’d mention I didn’t have any pain with the lip but they have just been swollen inside for the last 13 weeks (both upper and lower and inside of cheeks) which has baffled me. The white tongue with spots came after.

If antibiotics are helping I’d say you’re good in terms of hsv but I’m only going off things I’ve read.

Have you found gum clinic/gps approach to herpes in the UK very difficult? I was told even if I did have it there’s nothing they can really do and to just get on with life which I’m happy to do. However I would like to symptoms to ease and I have a girlfriend here who I love dearly and would be terrified at the thought of infecting her with anything. 

percival112

Hi lads. I believe that you won't be able to get any blood testing done by the NHS/GUM clinics unless you are a pregnant woman. If you wish to go down that route, you will have to get it done privately. However, there are lots of options.

InNeedOfAnswers

@percival112 hello mate thank you for the reply. Are you from the uk and have you had blood testing here? If so what was the experience, any advice I’d appreciate 

percival112

@InNeedOfAnswers yes I'm in the UK. I did have a blood test done by the NHS about 4/5 years ago. It wasn't a pleasant experience since I really had to haggle for it and they made me jump through all the hoops to get it, compounding on the already very high anxiety, and the results took forever.

This time around I asked for the test at two different clinics and they said no right off the bat, so I had to look for other alternatives. I reached out to a forum member and took it from there. I have done 3 tests so far and used 2 different companies. Summarizing my experience, the first test was hard to get the sample (finger prick, mailed sample) but the turnaround time and the price were good, with the second test (same company) the sample was easier to get (finger prick, but now I have more practice) but the turnaround time was bad, the third test (different company) was the most expensive but the most hassle free (blood taken at a clinic) with excellent turnaround time. I've written about it in more detail on my thread if you want to have a look.

InNeedOfAnswers

@percival112 yeah thank you for the input man it’s really helpful.

So you tested 4/5 years ago and it was negative? So you’ve been repeating tests due to new symptoms this year?

percival112
8 minutes ago, InNeedOfAnswers said:

@percival112 yeah thank you for the input man it’s really helpful.

So you tested 4/5 years ago and it was negative? So you’ve been repeating tests due to new symptoms this year?

Exactly

CheekyMunkey

@InNeedOfAnswers. I've pretty much had the same issue as you with the clinics. So I don't have any visual symptoms but feel like something is off. I checked an old test from 2017 and thought they had checked everything. I was wrong...herpes was unchecked. I had zero symptoms that time round.

I don't understand why they don't just test. I mean they have the blood anyway. How much more effort would an extra test be? Unless it's super complex. If anything I just want to know where I stand and then move forward. 

The last Dr told me herpes is herpes. They both cause the same issues. If you get told you got HSV1 or HSV2 it makes no difference. You have no visual symptoms so carry on as per usual. Should something change or you get a sore then come back and we will take a swab. Etc.

I actually messaged the girl I slept with because I wanted to know if she knew anything. She told me she visited the GUM clinic last week and was Negative. She also said she's never had herpes symptoms so she's never been checked for it. She said she could have it but she doesn't know. So...I'm none the wiser.

@percival112. When did you last get a blood test done? Are you able to share the company that worked well? Or PM me? I want to get checked. I kind of don't want to but I know it's the right thing to do.

InNeedOfAnswers

So quick update, I went back to the gum clinic last night to speak to a health advisor and she went as far to say even if I tested positive for a blood test they wouldn’t necessarily prescribe antivirals as there’s no current sores, so she thinks I’d be wasting my money on a private blood test. Also mentioned that the antivirals look to tackle outbreaks and wouldn’t help with neuralgia or oral  problems which are the only symptoms I am experiencing.

Find the whole attitude towards the virus frustrating!