World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MsLucy

new years resolutions?

MsLucy

Anybody making any New Years resolutions this year? I've about given up on them because I'm pathetic at keeping them. No self discipline. None. Zip. Nada. About the only resolutions I could trust myself to keep would be to eat everything I could get my hands on, stop cleaning the house altogether, and spend money like a drunken sailor. Hmmm...now that I think about it, would that be a bad thing? :D

Shayna

I always feel like I'm setting myself up for failure when I make a New Years resolution ..... History has proven that to be the case.

One year I was sitting with a client of mine chatting, and she asked if I had made a goal list for the year? I said no...so she said "let's make one together"

We both took a sheet of paper and wrote down a reasonable list of things we'd each like to accomplish for the new year. The cool thing was, when I came accross the list while cleaning out a drawer the next year, I looked back and I had accomplished everything on the list. Shocker! :shock: ... But very satisfying!

I think I'll try that again for this new year. Thanks for bringing up the subject. It's a good one!

catiesmom

I've never made new years resolutions for the very reason you don't anymore, but i'm thinking about trying it in a noncommittal way this year. I've been researching the raw vegan lifestyle, and i think that's going to have to be my New Year's Resolution -- by the end of the year, i want to be 75% raw vegan!

Caliope

post deleted.

MsLucy

Catiesmom,

You mean 75% of everything you eat will be like raw fruits and vegetables? Whoa... that's severe. You must have some kind of super will power. I hate raw vegetables, and I hardly eat fruit at all, unless it's canned. Actually, I'm on the meat, potatoes, bread, and pastry diet. Oh yeah, let's not forget the coffee and cigarettes, too. It's a good thing I'm descended from a long line of skinny people who lived to be ancient, because by rights, I should look like a weeble and keel over dead by next week. :rolleyes:

I admire you for trying to live a healthier lifestyle, though, Catiesmom. It's something we should all strive for, but like I said, I have no will power. Would someone pass the cheesecake, please?

catiesmom

Hehe, thanks guys. The hardest part of the raw thing is how people react. I was having a conversation with my coworker today who INSISTED there was no scientific evidence that eating 100% meat was bad for you. :shock: Dunno, that seems like a no-brainer to me, but i've been a semi-vegetarian for years.

I'd love to be 75% nude, but i'm sure my boss wouldn't like that, so i'll stick with my uncooked veggies and fruits! :) Raw means nothing that's been cooked over 108 degrees, at which temperature the foods are actually CHANGED and are no longer as good for your body. The idea is you can get all the nutrients you need and release your body's much-belabored digestive system for other more important work (fighting diseases, ridding your body of built-up toxins, restful sleep, etc) by eating foods that are raw and vegan. Raw foodists eat raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. That's it. That's a bit extreme for me, and from everything i've read short periods of 100% raw with a 75% average are enough to maintain that good health and eliminate the toxins you're still putting into your body on a daily basis. And the best side effect is TONS of energy!

Eh, it's compelling and not a huge stretch for me (if i can stay away from restaurants!) so i figured it's worth a try. And it all makes sense to me (obviously not my coworker) that i end up preaching about it to everyone i know...

...much like i'm doing now. Sorry. :)

Caliope

catiesmom - as much as I just can't chew that much in one day and find the time to prepare such meals while at work I agree completely with the thought that raw foods are far more healthy than those that are cooked. I do my best to eat as many as I can. They're just yummier.

I wouldn't waste much time arguing with a co-worker basically because if you can manage to maintain your resolution you'll be looking amazing and reaping the benefits of your new diet regime while your co-worker on a diet of strictly meat will probably be having some indigestion. Meat that is cooked is pretty acidic.

bristolgal

Lose 10 pounds

Get published 6 times

Pass my flight attendant interview in February

Finish my autobiography

Start ballet again

Try and pusuade my boyfriend to propose!

bristolgal
Hehe, thanks guys. The hardest part of the raw thing is how people react. I was having a conversation with my coworker today who INSISTED there was no scientific evidence that eating 100% meat was bad for you. :shock: Dunno, that seems like a no-brainer to me, but i've been a semi-vegetarian for years.

I'd love to be 75% nude, but i'm sure my boss wouldn't like that, so i'll stick with my uncooked veggies and fruits! :) Raw means nothing that's been cooked over 108 degrees, at which temperature the foods are actually CHANGED and are no longer as good for your body. The idea is you can get all the nutrients you need and release your body's much-belabored digestive system for other more important work (fighting diseases, ridding your body of built-up toxins, restful sleep, etc) by eating foods that are raw and vegan. Raw foodists eat raw fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. That's it. That's a bit extreme for me, and from everything i've read short periods of 100% raw with a 75% average are enough to maintain that good health and eliminate the toxins you're still putting into your body on a daily basis. And the best side effect is TONS of energy!

Eh, it's compelling and not a huge stretch for me (if i can stay away from restaurants!) so i figured it's worth a try. And it all makes sense to me (obviously not my coworker) that i end up preaching about it to everyone i know...

...much like i'm doing now. Sorry. :)

I've been veggie for EIGHTEEN years and i'e never heard of a raw vegan. I've heard of FRUITARIANS however, which is very similar to what you are describing.

Have you got any links you could give me about raw veganism out of curiosity?

catiesmom

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/links.html

You might start there. There are TONS of links, but very little worth mentioning that's not in book form. This link has links to ALL KINDS of other places, as well as full-text of The Life Science System by T. C. Fry that seems to be crucial to the development of the idea.

There are books that explain things better - Perfect Health (and all it's sister books) by Mary Ann Shearer is good. There are a lot of people who like Alyssa Cohen, but from what i understand her approach is an all-or-nothing, which i'm not really cool with.

Really, the only difference for you would be not heating your foods. :) If you want more info, let me know!

DanaS

New Years Resolutions

Lose all the weight I put on after I found out I have herpes.

Get good Health Insurance.

Eat Healthier.

Exercise More.

2007 was probably the best and kinda worst year of my life thus far. I got herpes, got a great job, moved to the city and grew up.

Here's to 2008.

MsLucy

Well, I've revised my resolutions for this year somewhat. I still plan to eat everything I can get my hands on, and maybe stop cleaning the house (that one really appeals to me), but I'm adding something a little more productive to the list.

This is going to be MY year. I'm going to stop being so willing to give my all to those who feel the need to sap me of my energy and love to feed their own bloated egos. I'm going to stop being the perpetual giver, and see what it feels like to be on receiving end for a change. I'm going to stop apologizing for things I shouldn't feel the need to apologize for, and stop feeling like every else's failure is somehow my fault. In other words, the bitch is loose, and I think it's going to be one helluva year. :twisted:

Shayna

You Go Girl!

A friend once told me "You can't be everything to everybody". She was so right. Cut loose the energy vampires and Live Your life!

May this be Your Year! ;) (incert new years blower thingy)

catiesmom

Yeah! That's a great one, writer. I really hope you can stick with it!

As Elton would say, the bitch is back!!!!