World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
pmn88

Is this herpes?

pmn88

I was wondering if this sounds like herpes...I'm not even sure I have herpes but I have a strong suspicion. A few months ago the corner of my mouth was burning and had a little slit right where the upper and lower lips meet. I thought nothing of it and just figured I had split/cracked my lip....but now I'm thinking it may be herpes because a few days ago I developed a painful burning spot on my genitals, no blister, no fluid. It started as intense itching 2 days after I had sex with my boyfriend (we have been intimate with each other for nearly 3 years now, I was a virgin when we met, he had only had one partner) and it became very sore and raw the next day with burning when urine touches the spot. Is it possible I got herpes from my boyfriend even though he has never had any symptoms? Could is be possible that when my lip split it was really a cold sore and that I self-infected myself at some point? My mom also gets cold sores but the incident with my lip never looked even close to that and on my genitals there are no pimples, blisters, fluid or crusting. I'm going to the Dr to get tested tomorrow but I don't know if its too early and I'm really freaking out right now!

VVK
I was wondering if this sounds like herpes...I'm not even sure I have herpes but I have a strong suspicion. A few months ago the corner of my mouth was burning and had a little slit right where the upper and lower lips meet. I thought nothing of it and just figured I had split/cracked my lip....but now I'm thinking it may be herpes because a few days ago I developed a painful burning spot on my genitals, no blister, no fluid. It started as intense itching 2 days after I had sex with my boyfriend (we have been intimate with each other for nearly 3 years now, I was a virgin when we met, he had only had one partner) and it became very sore and raw the next day with burning when urine touches the spot. Is it possible I got herpes from my boyfriend even though he has never had any symptoms? Could is be possible that when my lip split it was really a cold sore and that I self-infected myself at some point? My mom also gets cold sores but the incident with my lip never looked even close to that and on my genitals there are no pimples, blisters, fluid or crusting. I'm going to the Dr to get tested tomorrow but I don't know if its too early and I'm really freaking out right now!

Okay. First of all, there is a possibility that you have always had herpes and are/have been free of symptoms - asymptomatic.

Judging by what you have said, it is hard to say whether or not you have herpes. I could write it off as a cracked lip and rough sex (too much friction).

Finally, assuming that you do have oral herpes (again, I can't tell - I don't think you do judging by your description), there is a possibility for spreading it to your genitals. Just how likely it is depends on what strain you are carrying.

In terms of testing, I don't think it is too early (good to know if you have always had it, protects your bf) - you may want to retest in 3-6 months even if it comes back negative.

While you wait, if you'd like to learn more, there are links on the right and plenty of info on these forums. Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you.

VVK

Could you describe the spot in more detail? It might be something else that is not herpes. Either way, you should see the dr.