World's Largest Herpes Support Group
An anxious newbie

Genital HSV1 - what does that mean?

An anxious newbie

I was diagnosed with genital herpes caused by the HSV1 virus. The guy I was dating didn't tell me that he had cold sores throughout his life and he knew he had oral herpes. so yay me.

My question is: Although I have genital herpes, it was caused by the HSV1 virus. Does that mean I have oral herpes as well? Does that mean I can pass it by kissing someone even though I've only had an outbreak in the genital region?

MiLoBeng

No you won't pass it by kissing someone. Herpes is a skin disease and transmit only through skin to skin contact from infected area which is your genital area. 
However you could pass it on to somebody RIGHT AFTER touching/scratching blister or sore on your genital area. So keep it clean

Newone2

I’m sorry this happened to you. God you just gotta love all the people running around with oral herpes that act like they don’t have herpes at all and continue messing up people’s lives because they are too selfish to except the reality of their condition. The same thing happened to me. Only difference is I’m a guy. Chances are you do not have oral herpes. It’s pretty rare to be infected in both locations as far as I know. How are you holding up?

Jk1022

Hey. I’m newly diagnosed with genital hsv1 too. I got it from my boyfriend. He did oral on me with a cold sore. How often has it recurred for you since the first outbreak? Or at all?