World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LightafterDarkness

My story- mixed symptoms?

LightafterDarkness

First a big thank you to this forum and its members- I have been reading alot over the last several days and have learned alot. Im sharing my story here to (1) help others and (2) get feedback

Timeline

• Day 0: exposed to HSV with a girl who told me several days after (many feelings to share here for another day) that she had gotten ghsv 10 years ago and is asymptomatic and has had no obs since her first one. Lots of regret for hooking up with this girl
  • Day +2: feel tingling in urethra, I would put it at a 3/10 on the pain scale
  • Day +4: Go to doctor and given Azithromycin and cefTriaxone injection for chyl/gon. Also do standard STI panel (not hsv though)- all come back negative. Visually inspects and sees nothing; checks lymph nodes
  • Day +4-13: pain increases and feel burning all over groin area. Discuss with Doctor and he says HSV could be a thing and I should check for ulcers. He says danger zone is through day 12 and then probability goes down through day 20. Extreme stress levels after hsv is mentioned, keep waking up due to panic and frankly checking every couple of hours, not sleeping at all. Am able to function / do my work but the burning is always there in the background
  • Day 9: given valacyclovir 1g/2 per day per my ask, also taking 2 aspirin a day
  • Day 10: See Doc again and visually inspects and sees nothing, checks lymph nodes
  • Day 13: extreme pain in the AM (I had just done a redye?)- this was peak pain. Probably a 5/10, was able to sleep fitfully. 
  • Day 16: See Doc again and visually inspects and sees nothing, checks lymph nodes. He says I dont need valacyclovir but I ask him for another 7 day round for peace of mind and he gives it me. Also go on a 10 day round of doxycyline
  • Day 19- see doc again and he sees nothing; take a 2nd STI panel including checking for HSV. Both IGM and IGG come back negative. This was mixed news for me- on the one hand it provided me a baseline but peace of mind did not come as I learned here IGM is suspect and IGG you need to really wait 12 weeks. Still its something I guess because IGM would have showed something?
  • Day 21: burning all over begins to lessen
  • Day 26: valacyclovir round ends- not sure if it did anything
  • Day 27: burning feeling disappears / urethra is better. Still not sleeping well / i wake up in the middle of night from panic and nervousness
  • Day 28: burning reappears (prodome?), also feel some tenderness / soreness in upper inner thigh on left side that shows up that evening after some serious walking in a hot outdoor soon (was wearing jeans). No visual blisters that I can see. My foot / butt feel like they go to sleep sometimes. Itchiness manifests itself for the first time - comes and goes
  • Day 32: See doc again- he looks at upper thigh and says he doesnt see anything. He encourages me not to go on another round of valacyclovir and wonders if alot of this is mental given that the stress I have gone through. He does not think its HSV given no sores have appeared / initial blood tests though acknowledges that we should test gain in another week or so

So my questions for this great group

1/ This to me sounds HSV-like from a symptoms pov? Can you go from 1 ob to another directly?

2/ Should I hop back on another round of valacyclovir- am i potentially seeing the manifestation of an early OB re: itching and pain in upper thigh?

WilsoInAus

Hey @LightafterDarkness Critical issues before answering.

What herpes did the partner suggest she had Genitally, type 1 or 2?

Exactly What sexual activity took place? Which parts involved protection?

Do you have oral cold sores, the HSV-1 virus perhaps from childhood?

Zach92
On 7/11/2019 at 2:36 AM, LightafterDarkness said:

First a big thank you to this forum and its members- I have been reading alot over the last several days and have learned alot. Im sharing my story here to (1) help others and (2) get feedback

Timeline

• Day 0: exposed to HSV with a girl who told me several days after (many feelings to share here for another day) that she had gotten ghsv 10 years ago and is asymptomatic and has had no obs since her first one. Lots of regret for hooking up with this girl
  • Day +2: feel tingling in urethra, I would put it at a 3/10 on the pain scale
  • Day +4: Go to doctor and given Azithromycin and cefTriaxone injection for chyl/gon. Also do standard STI panel (not hsv though)- all come back negative. Visually inspects and sees nothing; checks lymph nodes
  • Day +4-13: pain increases and feel burning all over groin area. Discuss with Doctor and he says HSV could be a thing and I should check for ulcers. He says danger zone is through day 12 and then probability goes down through day 20. Extreme stress levels after hsv is mentioned, keep waking up due to panic and frankly checking every couple of hours, not sleeping at all. Am able to function / do my work but the burning is always there in the background
  • Day 9: given valacyclovir 1g/2 per day per my ask, also taking 2 aspirin a day
  • Day 10: See Doc again and visually inspects and sees nothing, checks lymph nodes
  • Day 13: extreme pain in the AM (I had just done a redye?)- this was peak pain. Probably a 5/10, was able to sleep fitfully. 
  • Day 16: See Doc again and visually inspects and sees nothing, checks lymph nodes. He says I dont need valacyclovir but I ask him for another 7 day round for peace of mind and he gives it me. Also go on a 10 day round of doxycyline
  • Day 19- see doc again and he sees nothing; take a 2nd STI panel including checking for HSV. Both IGM and IGG come back negative. This was mixed news for me- on the one hand it provided me a baseline but peace of mind did not come as I learned here IGM is suspect and IGG you need to really wait 12 weeks. Still its something I guess because IGM would have showed something?
  • Day 21: burning all over begins to lessen
  • Day 26: valacyclovir round ends- not sure if it did anything
  • Day 27: burning feeling disappears / urethra is better. Still not sleeping well / i wake up in the middle of night from panic and nervousness
  • Day 28: burning reappears (prodome?), also feel some tenderness / soreness in upper inner thigh on left side that shows up that evening after some serious walking in a hot outdoor soon (was wearing jeans). No visual blisters that I can see. My foot / butt feel like they go to sleep sometimes. Itchiness manifests itself for the first time - comes and goes
  • Day 32: See doc again- he looks at upper thigh and says he doesnt see anything. He encourages me not to go on another round of valacyclovir and wonders if alot of this is mental given that the stress I have gone through. He does not think its HSV given no sores have appeared / initial blood tests though acknowledges that we should test gain in another week or so

So my questions for this great group

1/ This to me sounds HSV-like from a symptoms pov? Can you go from 1 ob to another directly?

2/ Should I hop back on another round of valacyclovir- am i potentially seeing the manifestation of an early OB re: itching and pain in upper thigh?

Hey man. I received oral from a. Girl and have been going through the same thing. I swear I’ve been seeing my penis tip swell and I’m circumcised. Every picture I post here people are like nope. Been to the DR twice and ER they were like nope. They put me on doxycycline. I’m 3 Days into that. Day 28 from exposure. I just wonder if the stress is killing me at this point. 

DrumLoop8

Same issue here. After a stupid mistake of getting oral sex for 20 seconds, I felt like my penis urethra has been having a burning sensation inside. It’s been 2 weeks since the potential exposure and the burning sensation is starting to dwindle. It comes and goes and isn’t constant. I tested for chl/gon and came out neg. I took the meds anyway about 10 days ago. The meds usually help at curing other things that might it be like UTI etc. Maybe that’s why it’s been dwindling? I haven’t had any sores or lesions as I check every day. I went back to the doctor and he’s doing another urine sample check to see if it’s mycoplasma bacteria in urethra. Hoping it’s just that! Oh and I have HsV 1 orally since I was a little kid. Not sure if that helps. 

LightafterDarkness
Posted (edited)

@WilsoInAus unfortunately she was visually diagnosed and has no idea on type (the lack of information or disclosure on her part is infuriating). No HSV-1 on my end as far as I know.

Updates on timeline

• Day +32-38: radiating pain coming from upper inner thigh as well as needle/pins in my butt muscle- pain is on the left side.  Thighs are sore. No observed ulcers. Pain is maybe a 2/10. hop on another 7 day round of valacyclovir. 1g/2x -> Pain ceases for the most part. Observe what appears to be a cut on my left butt check which is alarming. Some pain that comes and goes on the head itself. Sleep continues to be fitful but better than before- waking up 1-2x/night but able to go back to sleep quickly.

Many of the symptoms line up with HSV and Im headed to the doctor tomorrow again.

Edited by LightafterDarkness
grammer

WilsoInAus

Hey @LightafterDarkness I am not quite sure where you get the impression that these symptoms line up with herpes??

If you were infected with herpes, then you most likely will get some lesions at the site of entry to the body of the virus. Some people then in addition experience more onerous symptoms of toxic shock from the immune system kicking in, aches, pains, issues urinating etc.

LightafterDarkness
Posted (edited)

@WilsoInAus you are spot on in that lesions were not observed until today but the pain / burning I felt is unlike any other I have experienced in my life. That plus the fact that the female in question carries HSV has me thinking its this but you are correct in that I dont have definite proof yet either from visual, swab, or blood test. More to come I guess since this limbo state is not fun / good.

As for the small cut on the butt check it certainly has my wondering as I thought the butt check was too thick for the virus to enter (though others have stated that the virus can manifest anywhere in the boxer area?).

*edited for grammar

WilsoInAus

@LightafterDarkness I'm sure you are proceeding down the path of confirming what is going on for you including the question you have around herpes.

I'd certainly just wish to point out that your symptoms are a stronger alignment to other conditions (potentially multiple) compared to herpes. For example the chance of the cut on your butt being related to herpes given recent infection without sores where the virus entered the body are zip.

Keep an open mind and follow multiple avenues.

LightafterDarkness
Posted (edited)

Quick update: Currently on day 49 (so 7 weeks) and no observed ulcers in the groin area but have had 2 items show up on my thigh / buttocks which may / may not be consistent with HSV, unable to get swabs. Will be going in at the 8.5 week mark to get a blood test.

In parallel as the valacyclovir wore off (I stopped using it 6 days ago) I have been getting surges of itching that last for a couple of hours and then subside. The level of itching intensity has also increased over the same time period. In any case time will tell

spelling