Question about genital hsv1

RC1315

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I’m hoping for some information. I’ve had cold sores for as long as I can remember. Last week my long term boyfriend contracted genital hsv1 (confirmed it’s 1) from me 😩 I’ve seen mixed reports on whether or not he can potentially pass this back to me genitally. From what I’ve read, the answer seems to be that my antibodies to 1 should protect me from getting genital hsv1, but can’t find any solid source that this is true or false? Does anybody have any knowledge about this they can share with me? I’m trying to figure out how cautious we need to be moving forward. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Hey @RC1315 when a person has an established infection, such as HSV-1 orally, then they have very strong immunity from further infection elsewhere on their body, including genitally.

It is excessively rarely seen and is undocumented in medical literature. Experts who have seen thousands of patients over the past 30 years, such as Warren and Handsfield have never seen a confirmed case. The chances must be exceedingly low.

I think it would be a good idea for protected sex for six months or so until the infection is established for your partner. From then he's just the same as most guy's out there, carrying a HSV-1 infection.