World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
James2

HSV1 diagnosis question- confused

James2
Posted (edited)

I had a red sore on my penis show up about 4 1/2 weeks ago that I thought was caused from my bathing suit.  After a couple of weeks Of reading on Google I decided to get tested for HSV and tested positive for HSV1 with a IgG score of 47. I have been married for a long time and other than my wife, only 2 other women have ever performed oral on me and those were over 15-20 years ago and my wife hasn't performed oral on me in probably 8 -10 years. The sore/ rash burns, stings from time to time, however, after 4 1/2 weeks it has never developed into the classic symptoms ( liquid filled blisters that eventually crust over), it mainly is just red and the redness even moves down to my shaft from time to time.   My  question is, how would I know if what is on my penis is actually a HCV1 infection or maybe something else? Does a positive IgG always mean you have genital herpesvirus? Also, can an initial breakout occur 10-20 years after possible exposure and would it last almost 5 weeks?

Edited by James2

LightafterDarkness

The IGG test does not have a 100% precision rate for HCV1 (precision rate is 70%) but given your score is that high its very likely you carry the virus. Some people never get the classic symptoms - if you really want to confirm you could ask the doctor to swab the sore. If it is indeed gHSV1 note that shedding is very rare

Check out the Terri Warren handbook that will give you lots of information: https://westoverheights.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Updated-Herpes-Book.pdf

James2

Thanks for the info 

Quest

Get a PCR swab of the area

If there's no pain at all it is fungal. But that is not the case.

Does a positive IgG always mean you have genital herpesvirus? No

Also, can an initial breakout occur 10-20 years after possible exposure and would it last almost 5 weeks? It can, and that's unusual unless you are not getting sleep, anxious, with a very taxed immune system, 5 wks-Not likely

Some don't get outbreaks till immunity fails.

James2

Thanks. I am definitely anxious since I scored so high on the IgG and I have had the sore/ rash for so long now. I started Acyclovir a few days ago and hope that will help.  If I can get. Dr appt. I guess I need to get the swab test.. I actually went to my Dr. A couple weeks ago because of this and also a rash in my groin area and he thought both were fungal, however, the oral fungal medication he prescribed hasn't resolved either issue yet. 

WilsoInAus

Hey @James2 there is no mystery here.

Your test result is almost certainly from a childhood infection of oral HSV-1. As such you have immunity from a genital HSV-1 infection.

The sore you describe on your genitals was probably just that. The rash, just that. No need at all to be concerned regarding herpes. No need for antivirals and keep on with your doctor to treat the issues.

James2
Posted (edited)

Thanks. That's what confuses me is the high IgG score of 47.  Does that mean I have a high viral load or have had hsv1 for a long time? I also can't remember ever having a cold sore in my mouth as a child but that's a long time ago.  My rash just won't seem to go away, almost 5 weeks now,  and it is very worrisome. I wish I had not even had the IgG test done because it has just increased my anxiety. Like someone said earlier I guess I need to get a swab test to be certain.  

Edited by James2

WilsoInAus

@James2 note that the IgG test looks for antibodies and not the virus. The test shows your blood is rich and healthy with antibodies.

This means the infection is more than a couple of months old at least. 

Herpes does not cause a persistent rash of 5 weeks. It doesn’t look like genital herpes is even a plausible possibility for someone in your situation.

James2
Posted (edited)

Man that helps so much.  I keep getting conflicting opinions.  Like I said, I have not had oral sex performed on me in over 8-10 years.  One more question, Since I had a positive IgG and do not remember ever having a cold sore does this mean I have genital herpes though? Hopefully I can find out exactly what it is and get on with my life.  Appreciate your help

Edited by James2

WilsoInAus

@James2 almost certainly you were infected orally before living memory.

If you had a primary genital infection, you wouldn’t have missed that.... youchhh!!

James2
6 hours ago, James2 said:

3 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

@James2 almost certainly you were infected orally before living memory.

If you had a primary genital infection, you wouldn’t have missed that.... youchhh!!

That makes sense as long as this isn't my primary infection 20+ years later. Thanks again for all the info!