World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
baffled07

Feeling a little down about monthly OB's..

baffled07

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed about 6 weeks ago with HSV-1..I've had it my whole life..but really did not know what was causing my frequent/monthly illness until now....I transmitted HSV-1 to my partner orally..not knowing I was having an OB...that is how all of this came about....I had been feeling a little sick, which is alot of the time...and I did not start having the feelings of getting a fever blister until about a week after we were together...so I just had NO CLUE that I was having an OB or shedding........

Now I am very informed and aware of my body and what is going on...it's just depressing bc every month just before my period I get super tired, and have a low-grade fever/chills...it's been going on now off/on for about a week...I tried taking Valtrex daily when I was first diagnosed but I got severe headaches and high blood pressure...I also tried again last week when I first felt the fever/chills coming on...and I got the awful headache again.....I have been taking Immune Boost with Olive Leaf, Lysine..and a ton of other things...for the past 6 weeks and Vitamin C...drinking Echinecea tea, Vit B tablets...Stresstabs...you name it...and I was soooo hopeful that maybe I could keep this virus from coming out again..........but to no avail..it still came back this month............:(

I just can't believe that my immune system is soooooo low........it's really depressing...and it's embarrassing to be sick EVERY MONTH at work...it's very obvious when I have the fever/chills and not feeling well.......UGHHH..

Anywayyyy, just felt like sharing and venting to others who UNDERSTAND....

I will keep on trying to boost my immune system..it sure would be nice to not have to go through this every single month..on top of a period!!!! What a double curse!! :mad:

Support1

It is funny that you described your symptoms the way that you did. I can definitely relate to what you are going through. I was diagnosed November 2006 and I have had an outbreak each month since then. I think I have not had an outbreak for a total of 5 weeks within the year that I have had herpes. I think my menstrual cycle causes my outbreaks; therefore, I get an outbreak each month. I also experience that sick feeling that sometimes feels like the flu, but I know that it is the virus that is causing me to feel the way that I do. As we speak, I am feeling sick now with a headache. If you need to talk, don't hesitate to send me a personal message. Please take care of yourself!:D

20Tearz

.... Worried ....

Clearly i dont kno how long ive had this but im jus healing from my primary... only lasted about a week, my immune system is pretty strong, the problem is that when something duz break thru it, it gets pretty bad even if only for a short time. This is especially true if im under high stress...

But that is wat im am terrified of..... my periods are the absolute worst!! from being irregular to the immense pain it causes ((cramps so severe i cant walk, drive, move)) vomitting, migranes.... and now on top of this im worried that they will trigger OBs... which will only add to my pain and dirty feeling.... how do u guys manage it?? have you found anything that helps even a little??

catiesmom

Baffled - you may need to give your body some time to develop antibodies before you settle into a "routine". I've found it helps to increase my immune support pills during my period as i get outbreaks about a week after i start. You might also consider trying to find anything else that might be a trigger -- next month, try laying off coffee and chocolate for a week before you would normally get your OB, and see if that helps prevent or at least minimize it. Try to de-stress a week before, see if that helps. If you can identify some sort of secondary trigger, maybe you can avoid getting an ob at your period.

You might also consider something like dynamiclear. If the pills are giving you side effects, dynamiclear is a topical solution that has worked well for me and some other people. There are links on the right that describe the various treatment options. At least that way you can minimize your obs when they do come, and i've found dynamiclear at the right time can even help me avoid getting a full-on outbreak.

Good luck!

baffled07

Thanks CatiesMom..I always appreciate your input. :D

The only problem is that I have had HSV-1 since I was a kid...so my anti-bodies have already been built up ( I would think)....it has been a monthly event for years and I just never realized what it was (an ob)....low-grade fever/chills..etc...on top of getting my period...Dr's. had always told me that it was either a sinus infection or hormones.............

ANYWAY, it all makes sense now...I will just keep trying to build up my immune system..bc prior to figuring all of this out..I did not take any daily vitamins whatsoever........shame shame I know....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I am also going to try something else...I am going to see if I can "trick" my system and continue taking the bcp instead of having my period..and see what/if that has any effect on it...if it works than I might have my gyno change my bcp to one that stops your period for a couple of months at a time...I do not plan on having children so I don't think it would cause any problems....

Decemburrrrrr

catiesmom: "next month, try laying off coffee and chocolate for a week before you would normally get your OB, and see if that helps prevent or at least minimize it."

Excellent advice but just a word of caution on the snippet above ... reducing or eliminating caffeine will often result in killer headaches for a day or two, starting about 36 hours after quitting the caffeine. In addition, feeling very fatigued for a few to many days is also very common. Aspirin works very well at quelling the killer caffeine-withdrawal headaches, but it may require taking aspirin many times to deal with them. (And never take aspirin when using Tylenol, since they can interfere with one another and cancel out each other's pain-blocking abilities.)

But eliminating caffeine totally is an excellent idea, since it is extremely high in arginine, which worsens HSV outbreaks. See the article of Lysine to the right ... or here ... http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/diet_and_nutrition_with_herpes.htm

After 3-5 days of being off caffeine, the caffeine-withdrawal symptoms will have abated and you'll feel back to normal ... and, presumably, will have a body better able to handle HSV. :>)

VVK

Or just don't take aspirin at all if you can avoid it. If you're going to quit coffee, make sure to drink a lot of clean water (not pop or tea or something else, just water). Aim for about 2L per day. It should reduce the headaches if it doesn't eliminate them - and it will do you a lot of good for other reasons as well.

Lorax

concurence

Hey Folks--

I just wanted to reiterate that I think the article on Lysine is helpful--Laying off/reducing caffeine intake, chocolate, wheat, etc. and boosting foods high in Vit.C, Zinc, etc. can only help.

I couldn't find Lysine at my local stores. Has anyone found a source other than the online one?

Thanks!

baffled07

I'm sure I drink way too much caffeine...and especially the week prior to my period..I crave soda's and sweets.......ughhh......what a curse for a girl!!! lol

Hmm..I bought my L-Lysine at Walgreens...they should sell it at Wal-Mart or almost any drugstore...Not sure what part of NC you live at but you shouldn't have to order it online...

Merry Christmas Everyone!

lady lightness

my obs are linked to my period too. i'm using the birth control ring right now, and at the advice of my dr i skip my period for a couple months at a time- it sounds unnatural, but she explained to me that it's not historically natural for women to get their period every single month- because of pregnancies and shorter life spans. so that's one way i prevent obs.

i also know in general my period symptoms are worsened by sugar, salt, fats- when i eat those things before or during my period, the nausea, bloating, headaches, body aches, and cramps intensify.

also, warm tea is my new best friend. when i'm feeling low, yucky, or cold, i drink cups and cups of the stuff. yogi tea makes some yummy ones.

alwall0828

I can get Lysine at Walmart, Rite Aide. It is always with the vitamins. Ours are always in alphabetical order. Good Luck.

trying2bpositive

Curious about OB's

Hi people...

I'm new to this. I've only recently been diagnosed with genital herpes just over a month ago I think it is now and I have already had 4 or 5 OB's. My first one was excruciating and I cried myself to sleep everynight. Since then the pain hasn't really been an issue. None of the OB's I've had since have really caused me any pain. Is this normal? The last OB i had I experienced a small shooting pain in that area and that was it.

Can anyone tell me if this is at all indicative of what future OB's will be like?

I have never felt so scared in my life and this is the only thing at the moment that is causing me any hope... that perhaps it won't be so painful and perhaps I will be able to live with it and work with it.... I'm so sad.

Has anyone hadany luck with dynamiclear? I've already mentioned this in a previous post, but I am desperate to know what people thought of it?

Thankyou for your time... it helps to know I am not totally alone.

baffled07

Hi there,

Sorry, I don't have experience with Dymaclear..you might try re-posting your message as a New Thread. I am certain there are numerous other members who use Dymaclear.

I don't have genital herpes (that I know of YET)..just oral (cold-sores)...so I can't comment on the other either.

Sorry.