World's Largest Herpes Support Group
StayingPositiveForever

A ketogenic diet keeps the symptoms away entirely?

StayingPositiveForever
I have had HSV2 for close to 2 years now. I have pretty frequent symptoms and know my triggers well so this puts me in an advantageous position in terms of monitoring the virus' behavior. Here are my findings:

Everytime my diet is shit, I get a lot of outbreaks. Periods where I eat a lot of sugars, carbs and junk. Also higher emotional stress brings an outbreak without fail during those times. And almost always a large dose of sugar/carb rich alcohol brings an instant outbreak the next day even. I wasn't drinking much before, but since HSV2, I'm almost completely alcohol free.

Before the summer, my outbreaks were so frequent almost constantly there was a small blister somewhere. One went away, another popped out. They mostly didn't even break the skin, but that was really frustrating to constantly worry about infecting something else.

At the end of April, I went on a ketogenic diet. I ate a lot of nuts in the beginning, and the symptoms were lesser and going away, but still there for a while. Then I don't remember if it went away before or after leaving out the nuts. After that, I was completely without outbreaks for over 2 months. I even had emotional stress, and nothing. This has never happened before. I thought the whole virus might've died. When I went on vacation from work and the diet, I ate some sugars. No outbreaks. I even had a really stressful period, which normally brings an outbreak, but no. Not this time. Even with alcohol, no outbreaks. Then I went back to a shitty diet with a lot of white sugars and carbs, and after 2 weeks, broke out again.

Now I'm back on keto since 11th of August. A bit earlier my last outbreak healed. (Or can't know for sure if some things on my face are zits or herpes). So no sugars, lysine/arginine balance in check, and I'm completely outbreak free! In the long run, I can even have cheat days and not fear outbreaks. I reckon if I stay on low carbs for long enough, the whole shit will go into remission permanently. That, or I go to a 2 weeks ozone therapy.

Basically what I found out is that sugars are really harmful along with arginine and alcohol. This is my experience (my partner didn't have outbreaks on keto either, so I speak for 2) and it brings a lot of hope! What do you think? 😊

LightafterDarkness

Thanks for sharing your story- interesting to see that you may have found a way to keep the virus latent! A couple of questions:

• In between OBs do you experience any 2nd order symptoms like tingling / itching?
  • Regarding sugars do you refer to processed sugars or sugars overall (so for example fruit)
  • Do you take any medication / vitamins?

StayingPositiveForever
2 hours ago, LightafterDarkness said:

Thanks for sharing your story- interesting to see that you may have found a way to keep the virus latent! A couple of questions:

• In between OBs do you experience any 2nd order symptoms like tingling / itching?
  • Regarding sugars do you refer to processed sugars or sugars overall (so for example fruit)
  • Do you take any medication / vitamins?
  • No, absolutely zero symptoms. I rarely, if ever have symptoms without an OB.
  • I refer to processed white sugar as found in candy, sweets, the like, but I also eat very little fruit or berries on ketosis. I reckon the white processed sugars are the worst, fruit a little less so and grain carbs like wheat no effect. Just my hypothesis, though.
  • Yes. I take 500mg of vitamin-C almost daily and 1g during OB and 3-5 days after it has ended. I also take zinc frequently and omega-3 daily. Used to take oregano oil, but I think it didn't help while eating sugar so I stopped it. Lysine was also part of my supplements but it costs extra when you can just get the same effect by looking after your diet and eating more lysine from food.

Hope this works in the long run as well. I had a really long OB-less period earlier too when I was not eating candy. So guess that processed sugar is the main factor here for me. Not sure if ketones themselves (the substitute for glucose on keto) have anything to do with it but I think an otherwise healthy lower carb diet works too. If you are into experimenting, I can recommend DietDoctor as a source for information and recipes. You don't really need to give up much, but it can cost a bit more if you want to get some rarer ingredients like almond flour (substitute for any flour) or eryhtritol (substitue for sugar). Eating out or bying ready-made is more difficult so you probably need to do more work yourself. I eat a lot of take away salads. :D