World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LightafterDarkness

Charcoal-based drug delivery system improves efficacy of acyclovir

LightafterDarkness

New paper from the Univ. of Illinois at Chicago lab behind the BX795 work (which incidentally future news on if a phase I was/is going to happen has been quite).

This research again points out that more effective medication/vaccine for any sort of "functional cure" needs to be present in the system longer than current methods (priteliver does this for example, UB621 also showing this) so that HSV has no chance to reactivate but is instead quickly beaten back.  Basically it appears that the addition of charcoal elements (which is safe in humans) increased retention time of the medication as well as better efficacy vs. the virus meaning you could take a lower dosage, did not need to take it for as many days etc.

"In our quest to inhibit herpes simplex virus infection via the compounds found in commonly used cosmetic products, we found that activated carbon particles inhibit infection and, in addition, substantially improve topical delivery and, hence, the efficacy of a common antiviral drug, acyclovir (ACV). Our in vitro studies demonstrate that highly porous carbon structures trapped virions, blocked infection and substantially improved efficacy when ACV was loaded onto them. Also, using murine models of corneal and genital herpes infections, we show that the topical use of drug-encapsulated carbon (DECON) reduced dosing frequency, shortened treatment duration, and exhibited higher therapeutic efficacy than currently approved topical or systemic antivirals alone. DECON is a nontoxic, cost-effective and nonimmunogenic alternative to current topical drug-delivery systems that is uniquely triggered for drug release by virus trapping."

Full Paper: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/8/eaax0780

steel_panther
35 minutes ago, LightafterDarkness said:

New paper from the Univ. of Illinois at Chicago lab behind the BX795 work (which incidentally future news on if a phase I was/is going to happen has been quite).

This research again points out that more effective medication/vaccine for any sort of "functional cure" needs to be present in the system longer than current methods (priteliver does this for example, UB621 also showing this) so that HSV has no chance to reactivate but is instead quickly beaten back.  Basically it appears that the addition of charcoal elements (which is safe in humans) increased retention time of the medication as well as better efficacy vs. the virus meaning you could take a lower dosage, did not need to take it for as many days etc.

Full Paper: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/8/eaax0780

What are some examples of charcoal drugs?

Voyager2

This is MORE good news. Two points from the Conclusion got my attention:

1) "Highly porous activated carbon (HPAC) is an inhibitor of HSV-1 and HSV-2 viral entry."

2) "We confirm effective virus trapping of the virus by HPAC. Given that activated charcoal and acyclovir are FDA-approved and generally regarded as safe, we envision widespread development in the near future."

This "drug-encapsulated carbon" (DECON) delivery of acyclovir will be more efficient than acyclovir alone, meaning less will be required. As one who has been taking acyclovir for many years, I look forward to this upgraded form. Let's hope the testing goes quickly.

@JHenry, the quiet period might be over.   

Quest

You can buy activated charcoal/carbon as a supplement. They use it to take all sorts of things out of the body, teeth whitening...

CookieSC
13 hours ago, Quest said:

You can buy activated charcoal/carbon as a supplement. They use it to take all sorts of things out of the body, teeth whitening...

Exactly!  It's available over the counter. It's not just for topical use, it is often ingested for detoxification in cases such as drug overdose, alcohol and other chemical poisoning, exposure to toxic substances, etc.  Some people use it as part of a general health detox routine that involves exercise, sauna, niacin, and taking activated charcoal capsules.  It will cause constipation, so drinking lots of water is important.

Quest
Posted (edited)

Don't you really think they are doing this here? I don't know thier exact formulation. But it's the same basic concept. Thanks @CookieSC it's wonderful to have you here! Instant friends, I love it!:lift: it also tells us ho fast or slo food travels in the system 😋 

If we use it topically we better wear black underwear!!! Hahaha

Edited by Quest

CookieSC
10 hours ago, vzhe said:

This is for topical treatments only.

Nope.  It is often ingested.  It's also used in some foods, like ice cream. Personally, it doesn't look very appetizing, lol. 

CookieSC
4 minutes ago, Quest said:

Don't you really think they are doing this here? I don't know thier exact formulation. But it's the same basic concept. Thanks @CookieSC it's wonderful to have you here! Instant friends, I love it!:lift: it also tells us ho fast or slo food travels in the system 😋 

LOL, Black underwear!!! For sure!  Thanks for the laugh!  Instant friends...thank you ☺️

Quest

I would like some skin colored charcoal, please I will have to remember to take some when I get the Hershey squirts!

CookieSC
6 minutes ago, Quest said:

Yes, I think the mechanism is similar.  It's interesting that a small amount of activated charcoal can absorb more nasty stuff than it appears it could. There are still things people need to be aware of about activated charcoal.  It can reduce the effectiveness of medications if taken too close to dosing.

Quest

Would three or four hours be enough?

So many things to take alone!

I should try and make my own capsules when I am watching TV

CookieSC
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Quest said:

Would three or four hours be enough?

I don't know.  It depends on the medication.  I'd check with a pharmacist or your doctor. It also affects supplements, too.

Edited by CookieSC
additional info

The

This is incredible... They even specified exactly how they loaded the drug complete with in depth instructions and measurements... If you could get your hands on some lab tools, you could create your own supercharged antivirals. Charcoal... Who knew.

LightafterDarkness

I agree with @The in that I am not sure taking charcoal by itself would work (but who knows!)- the magic appears to be with the combination.

I imagine  (and again please correct me if you think this is incorrect thinking) the Charcoal is like this big light that ends up attracting HSV (just like some insects are attracted to light) allowing the medication to pounce on to it more easily. Its like you herd things into a general area instead of stuff being spread all over

JHenry

CONCLUSIONS

In this study, we report a unique use of activated charcoal in topical drug delivery. In parallel, we show HPAC as an inhibitor of HSV-1 and HSV-2 viral entry and its subsequent effects on viral replication through prophylactic, neutralization, and therapeutic treatment models. Through immunoblotting techniques and fluorescent imaging, we confirm effective virus trapping of the virus by HPAC. Our treatments using DECON show a promising path toward a cost-effective way of drug delivery. Given that activated charcoal and ACV are FDA-approved products for use in humans and rated generally regarded as safe, we envision widespread development of DECON-based ACV and other topical treatments in the near future. The therapeutic model shown here against genital herpes would also pave the way for future DECON lubricants or gels that prevent and/or treat viral transmission during sexual intercourse. Furthermore, the affordable cost, facile synthesis, and known safety benefits would encourage usage in other dermatology indications and development of unique vanity products that simultaneously provide health and beauty benefits especially for patients with HSV who suffer from frequent outbreaks.

JHenry

I don’t remember if this was mentioned in the article, would the addition of charcoal to acyclovir impact shedding? Would Val acyclovir benefit from the charcoal application?   Thanks!  Henry.  

MiLoBeng

This charcoal improved drug delivery mechanism do seem similar to HIV's LASER ART treatment. Just my guess

vzhe

Swallowing charcoal wouldn't do a thing. the whole tech is designed to work as a topical treatment or gel.

Voyager2

Good news for topical cream users but not so good for pill poppers like me. Still good to see progress on all fronts in the war on HSV.          

dont quit!17
On 8/15/2019 at 12:49 AM, Quest said:

Charcoal is great for hangovers too! 

In healthcare it is used for overdoses: 

"Activated charcoal is sometimes used to help treat a drug overdose or a poisoning. When you take activated charcoal, drugs and toxins can bind to it. This helps rid the body of unwanted substances. Charcoal is made from coal, wood, or other substances."

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/activated-charcoal-uses-risks#1

CookieSC
On 8/19/2019 at 12:52 AM, vzhe said:

Swallowing charcoal wouldn't do a thing. the whole tech is designed to work as a topical treatment or gel.

Are you disputing that charcoal doesn't have any impact on anything if ingested or just doesn't have an impact on HSV?