World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
alwaysalone

Infection to other body parts.

alwaysalone

I have been reading lots of these posts about sex and stuff with OBs. now the questions

1. Can you spread type 2 to another spot on the body through touch or oral sex?

2. How easy is it to spread it if you can?

3. How do you avoid it?

Brucie
I have been reading lots of these posts about sex and stuff with OBs. now the questions

1. Can you spread type 2 to another spot on the body through touch or oral sex? YES

2. How easy is it to spread it if you can? VERY

3. How do you avoid it? NOT TOTALLY POSSIBLE

I added my answers to your question in all capital letters, sorry. I can tell you to be careful and wear gloves when washing infected areas you already have but even this is not foolproof. You can take precautions but to avoid it completely is not possible I'm afraid. Just don't touch blisters during outbreaks and after when they are still healing. This may reduce the chances of spreading but never ever totally eliminate it. It is a skin disease after all... just be cautious at all times.

Christine2219

You can definately spread it through oral sex. I got HSV1 genitally from my fiance through oral and he didn't even have a cold sore at the time. He got one two days later. You have to be really careful

MsLucy

Actually, I have to disagree somewhat. As long as you wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water, the chances of spreading it to other parts of your body are pretty slim, I think. Soap and hot water kill the virus quite effectively, so just be mindful of where your hands have been and wash them immediately after contact or using the bathroom. Also, avoid contact when you have a cut or opening in the skin on your hands. That should eliminate the possibility of spreading it to other areas. As an added precaution, keep a dispenser of hand sanitizer on your sink and use it after washing your hands. Then relax and forget it.

Oral sex is another story. It can be spread that way, even if no evidence of an ob is present. However, in the complete absence of symptoms, the chance of transmission is low.

VVK

If I recall correctly (correct me if I am wrong), the soap will only kill it if it contains the ingredient SDS. Most soaps don't.. so be careful.