Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group
LucasA

Help with understanding shedding data

Recommended Posts

LucasA

Hello people,

I found the following article online:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7643884?dopt=Abstract

It is a research from expert Anna Wald where it says "During a median follow-up of 105 days, subclinical shedding of virus was identified in 36 of 65 women (55 percent) with HSV type 2 (HSV-2), in 16 of 31 women (52 percent) with HSV type 1 (HSV-1) and HSV-2, and in 4 of 14 women (29 percent) with only HSV-1."

 

Does that mean that some people do not shed at all?

If subclinical shedding was identified in 55% of HSV-2 positive women, it sounds like the other 45% did not shed the virus at all.

Is that accurate or am I missing something?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus

Hey @LucasA what you are reading into the article is correct. However there are a number of considerations. 

The main one being that being an old research study from 1995, cultures were used. This would mean a considerable amount of virus would need to be present for a positive sample.

When PCR became more common in research, which can identify a handful of viral copies, the day on which shedding was detected increased.

Shedding is however only a small part of the story, less than 1/3 of shedding episodes actually carry a viable amount of the virus to infect. 

What is more relevant are the actual transmission chances. This takes into account whether the person is shedding at all during sex, whether there is enough of the virus and whether the host is actually infected. Female to male this is estimated at about 4% chance after a 100 sexual episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
difficultroadahead

Hi What would the male to female shedding and transmission rates be for GHSV2 using daly valtrex as suppression

 

Edited by difficultroadahead
adding content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, difficultroadahead said:

Hi What would the male to female shedding and transmission rates be for GHSV2 using daly valtrex as suppression

 

With no measures, this risk has been assessed at about 8% per year where the positive male has had the virus for more than 2 years.

If you were infected on your penis, then you have reason to believe that a condom would provide well over a 50% reduction in risk, perhaps as high as a 90% reduction. This is hence the primary measure a male should consider over antivirals.

Antivirals would cut odds in half again, but this is a bit of ‘icing’ for the condom measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blurneworder
2 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

With no measures, this risk has been assessed at about 8% per year where the positive male has had the virus for more than 2 years.

If you were infected on your penis, then you have reason to believe that a condom would provide well over a 50% reduction in risk, perhaps as high as a 90% reduction. This is hence the primary measure a male should consider over antivirals.

Antivirals would cut odds in half again, but this is a bit of ‘icing’ for the condom measure.

What about combined genital and oral infection shedding rates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Donate

    If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

  • The Hive is Thriving!

    • Total Topics
      70,498
    • Total Posts
      476,996
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

    Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

  • Posts

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.