World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
JST

How long tingling before blisters

JST

I've been getting frequent cold sores all my life.

I've been stressed lately (diminishing, thank goodness), to the point where I notice my teeth and jaw clenching and my lips often pressed very hard together. Even though I'm taking 400mg Acyclovir 2x/day, and normally have no symptoms at all, I am have been experiencing prodrome symptoms for about a week...but no blisters.

The usual burning and tingling sensation is there in a spot where sores usually appear if I'm going to get them. I'm seeing someone new (no sex yet) and I've been desperate to avoid an outbreak, so I have upped my dosage to 800mg about every six hours.

Still no outbreaks, but the tingling and pain are quite present. I've never experienced a prodrome anyting like this long. Anyone have kowledge of why it might go on so long w/o the blisters appearing?

Thanks!

Bea

I think each persons case is different and you just have to learn your own reactions.

I would, however, suggest taking suppliments to boost the immune system. It is helping me alot to suppress outbreaks (I had 3 big OB in 5 weeks. None now for 2 weeks since on the suppliments, plus I feel great!).

I have been taking vit C, B complez, L-Lysine and Olive Leaf every day. And Echanacea.

Hope that helps.:-D

JST

Thanks, Bea. I got myself some lysine ealy today, and it seems to be reducing the tingling. Relaxation, like cracking open the ol' IPOD seems to be helping, too. I have never experience this endless prodrome with no blisters...I'm counting my blessings.

pj71

So- the tingling does manifest in the spot where the blisters normally start?

I am so confused- my healthcare provider said recurrent outbreaks are usually less severe than the original.

Do people actually get outbreaks on a bi-weekly or weekly basis?

I am so upset, the more I read.

Is anyone out there to talk to about this? this forum seems to have very sporadic and few posts.

Caliope

Just because you have the tingling or itchy sensation does not always precede actual ob's but for some people they do.

I experience tingling in a spot where I've never had an actual ob. It can make me want to rip my skin loose. I'd swear that there have been times in the past where a day did not pass that the tingling wasn't part of.

The things that help me most with this is Aveeno Active Natural Soothing Bath Powder added to the bath, Epsom Salts added to the bath, and Aveeno Anti-Itch Cream.

Recently I started taking Red Marine Algae and it is really helping the itch.

JST

The tingling is in the area where blisters normally appear, when they do. Taking acyclovir has largely made both blisters and tingling a thing of the past, but lately that tingling just goes on and on.

I will add that any mechanical irritation makes the sensation much stronger. Also, despite my other measures--lysine, relaxation, and now Ester-C (will add zinc and abreva tomorrow), the sensation does particularly decrease within an hour of taking a dose of acyclovir.

Whether this change is psychological in nature, I don't know.

This has come at entirely the wrong time. Ironically, I've gotten set, after some effort, in some healthy new habits in the last six weeks. Other than the damned tingling/crawling sensation in the corner of my mouth, I haven't felt better in years. I've also recently (successfully, happily) resolved a long-standing family issue that's been a problem for a while.

I look at the past and find I've often gotten sick AFTER a big, stressful problem or difficult situation has been worked out, sort of like panicking after the emergency, when it's much safer ;).

Still, any more insights are welcome. I want to use my mouth for Pete's sake!

Thanks to all.

Cannondalef600

I have a questing in regards to the tingling sensation everyone talks about. I am not sure but I am afraid I have spread my coldsores to my hand. Every once and a while I will get a slight "tingling" sensation but it only lasts a couple seconds. No sores have appeared or anything.

I guess Im wondering how long does the tingling last leading upto a coldsore? is it a constant tingle up until the time the sores appear? Or is it intermitten and only lasting a few seconds..