World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Pamar

Having a difficult diagnosis, Multiple Igg test

Pamar

I recently found out that I tested positive with HSV 2. I’m really struggling. I’m still not use to it and know what to look for. I haven’t had insane or painful outbreaks or anything like some of the other stories I’ve read. I got on birth control shot (Depot provera) when I started having sex with this partner and that’s when all the symptoms started happening.  I thought that’s why the tingling and itchiness was coming from. I’ve never used that form of birth control. I also was tested the week we had sex with condom and tested negative. I’ve never tested positive for anything but did have a vaginal infection in my early 20s. My recent pap tested negative for hpv too. I’ve never had any type of feeling in my genitals like that before. I didn’t get cold sores before and I still haven’t but I have been breaking out a lot around my mouth, chin and jawline. It could be hormonal acne and stress due to the diagnosis. I cry pretty much every day and I’m hoping it’s not from the valacyclovir I’m taking. My igg HSV-2 blood test came back at 2.08 in March but a month later in April my HSV-2 was .91 and hsv-1 was 5.00. My doctor recommended to continue the anti viral medication and get tested again in 6 months. Since then I have had tingling but nothing I can’t handle. Is it normal to have such a decrease in igg results? My anxiety and stress levels has been on high since. I haven’t spoken to anyone about it constantly fearing if someone touches my face or anything like a hug I fear I will pass it on to someone. I know that isn’t how it’s transferred but recently my friend used my fork before I can stop her and I’ve been stressed about that since my saliva was one it. Does anyone have any advice about the results? Thank you! 

WilsoInAus

Hey @Pamar it looks pretty clear cut that you have an oral HSV-1. You can only spread this to people you kiss so don’t do that if you have an outbreak and don’t let young babies chew your lips etc. and that’s all that can be expected of you.

It is not confirmed you have HSV-2. You had a low positive, something many people who are negative experience from time to time, having HSV-1 increases the chance of a low false positive.

If you’ve had a negative since the low positive, you’re negative, but hey that follow up as soon as you can to remove doubt.

Pamar

Thank you for you response. I always thought stds were clear cut positive or negative. Didn’t realize just how confusing herpes can be. Is there info on the western blot test and how to purchase it that you have? 

WilsoInAus
15 minutes ago, Pamar said:

Thank you for you response. I always thought stds were clear cut positive or negative. Didn’t realize just how confusing herpes can be. Is there info on the western blot test and how to purchase it that you have? 

When the test looks for the actual STD itself, then the test is definitive. This applies to a swab for HSV.

When you’re looking for antibodies, there’s a few issues to contend with - such as cross reaction between HSV-1 and HSV-2 antibodies. This is true of all blood tests though.

If your IgG test is negative you won’t need a Westernblot.

If you have a low positive, then consider the WB; start here print out the forms and see your doctor. You could also call Westover Heights Clinic.

https://depts.washington.edu/uwviro/

Pamar

Thank you for the info. I took your advise and got retested. Both blood test for HSV1 and HSV2 came back positive. With the HSV2 at 3.14. Still trying go figure this out.