World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
pj71

flu like symptoms???

pj71

So, I am having trouble getting all the details on genital herpes.

The new guy I was seeing- came down with a sore throat a few days after we were naked together for the first time (no sex).

Now I am paranoid this could be a symptom!

It's so bloody confusing!

Any sites you know of that go into a lot of depth??

baffled07

Hi there, I just read your response to one of the other posters..so it gave me a little more info/background about your situation..now I know why your asking the question your asking...

Hmm....do you know if you have HSV-1 (genitally)?? It sounds like he COULD have been having an outbreak orally...NOT KNOWING IT...and transmitted HSV-1 to you via oral sex...(If that happened....you said you guys didn't have sex...but did he perform oral sex on you?)....if not, was there skin-skin contact...genitals..etc?? It IS possible that he transmitted HSV-2 to you as well if you guys had skin-skin contact.....you do not have to have intercourse to transmit it....

I am like one of the other posters who said...it is amazing HOW EDUCATED you become in such a short time after finding out you have Herpes 1 or 2!!!!! TOO BAD I DIDN'T KNOW ALL OF THIS BEFOREHAND!!!!!! ;)

Not sure if this helped you or not...but thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.

If you want to PM me feel free to...I have HSV-1 (Oral)...and transmitted it to my now ex-partner genitally via oral sex....I did not know I had it, or that I was "shedding" orally....did not have a visual cold-sore...felt a little sick before..and did get a sore throat the day after we were together..and felt a cold-sore trying to come up about 5 days AFTER we were together...

:(

pj71

Oh Geez.

I feel awful.

I didn't know I had anything at the time. When I had my mild abrasion- the doctor told me it was nothing to worry about. Even the public health nurse did an exam at the same time and said it wasn't herpes.

Then I get my results back last week and it is Genital herpes.

The guy I had been dating- we had engaged in oral sex with one another, but not penetration.

I broke up with him a few days ago when I found out... because of the shame.

We spoke briefly on MSn this morning and he said he wasn't feeling good- had a sore throat. omg. I feel sick to my stomache.

pj71

I am just amazed that this thing can manifest itself with a sore throat and a headache.

I know the cold and flu is going around... and maybe I am just being paranoid since my first outbreak went away 3 weeks ago. But it's all I can think about- that I have unknowingly infected someone.

I mean, he could have gone down on me- kissed me, then I could have gone down on him and passed him genital herpes??? Can it work that way?

I am so overwhelmed by the info.

And is it true many people have this and are walking around undiagnosed??

I dated someone last summer- and when I was touching him downthere, I noticed he had flaked over patches- two of them on his shaft. Now I am wondering if I got him from him and it just lay dormant?? At the time he said he had been on accutane and that had caused the dry patches on his penis.... but they were small and indicative of a healed over scab.

I am so confused. maybe I have been carrying this around for a long time.

If someone has a cold sore on their mouth- is there a good chance they are infected below as well?

question, questions.

I think so many more people have this than is known. I had the courage to tell my dad (who is a physician) and he said he HAS IT!! said he contracted it over 45 years ago. I was freaked.

I just feel sick that I may have unknowingly put this illness on someone else. i feel sick about it.

Caliope

pj71 - He may just have the flu.

He can get a bloodtest now that will show if he has been infected in the past.

If the results of that blood test are negative a second test in 8-16 weeks will show if he was recently infected.

baffled07

Good Morning PJ71,

I was actually thinking more along the lines that he could have possibly transmitted the herpes to you...rather than vice versa...maybe HE has it orally (and doesn't even know it)....do you know what kind you have? If it's HSV-1 on your genitals than that could be what happened.....that is what happened in my situation...I transmitted (not knowingly) HSV-1 to my partner genitally via oral sex....so now he has genital herpes.:(

Your blood level tests can also tell YOU whether you have the anti-bodies and if they are high or low...If your level is high (mine was 5.0) it means that you've had it for a long time and just now had an ob....if it low it means you just recently contracted it and you are having your first ob....the HerpeSelect blood test is the best one...

I feel HORRRRIBLE that I have given this guy genital herpes..and I too, felt sick to my stomach...he just happened to be one of the nicest, understanding guys I have ever met in my life...and was not mad at me at all....he knew I didn't feel well a couple of days before we were together..an d he also rememberd that I feel sick about once a month...but I never knew what it was...so he totally believed that I had no idea how contagious I was....so I just THANK GOD that he was so understanding...I am still amazed....we are friends, but due to other circumstances combined with this..we agreed that we are not meant to be together..

DON'T STRESSSSSS...........you need to take care of yourself..take vitamins...L Lysine is a good anti-viral vitamin if you are not going to take other suppresive meds...(I can't take valtrex bc it gives me screammming headaches)....

Take care and keep in touch.

shutterbug

I had very severe flu-like symptoms with my primary OB. My very first "symptom" was a fever that came out of nowhere and spiked up to 103.6 within 24 hours. My whole body ached (even my eyeballs hurt) and I just couldn't even get out of bed. I had some burning when I went to the bathroom, so my doctors treated me for a Kidney Infection, and sent me home... 3 days later I ended up in the hospital because the fever was higher than ever, and was causing my body to literally shut down... that was when the doc discovered sores. Once they got me on the anti-virals, it was like a miracle happened, I was back to normal within a couple days... My positive test came back about a week after that, and I was pretty devastated.

It's likely that I got it from my current boyfriend (of only about 4 months), who had no idea he had it (we are still waiting on the results of his test). Pretty amazing how some people can have it and never even know... and others (like me) get it, and get so sick they end up in the hospital... I am hoping against hope that future OB's wont be as bad, if I immediately start the anti-virals at the first signs...

pj71
Good Morning PJ71,

I was actually thinking more along the lines that he could have possibly transmitted the herpes to you...rather than vice versa...maybe HE has it orally (and doesn't even know it)....do you know what kind you have? If it's HSV-1 on your genitals than that could be what happened.....that is what happened in my situation...I transmitted (not knowingly) HSV-1 to my partner genitally via oral sex....so now he has genital herpes.:(

Your blood level tests can also tell YOU whether you have the anti-bodies and if they are high or low...If your level is high (mine was 5.0) it means that you've had it for a long time and just now had an ob....if it low it means you just recently contracted it and you are having your first ob....the HerpeSelect blood test is the best one...

I feel HORRRRIBLE that I have given this guy genital herpes..and I too, felt sick to my stomach...he just happened to be one of the nicest, understanding guys I have ever met in my life...and was not mad at me at all....he knew I didn't feel well a couple of days before we were together..an d he also rememberd that I feel sick about once a month...but I never knew what it was...so he totally believed that I had no idea how contagious I was....so I just THANK GOD that he was so understanding...I am still amazed....we are friends, but due to other circumstances combined with this..we agreed that we are not meant to be together..

DON'T STRESSSSSS...........you need to take care of yourself..take vitamins...L Lysine is a good anti-viral vitamin if you are not going to take other suppresive meds...(I can't take valtrex bc it gives me screammming headaches)....

Take care and keep in touch.

I know that is not the case. I have HSV 2. I found out just last week- It was discovered through a swab- but did not show up on the blood test.

I realize now that there is only one person who could have given it to me- my ex.

This guy was a new guy I was seeing.... and we had not had sex- just oral sex with each other.

When I saw the doc they examined my mild abrasion and told me it wasn't herpes- but took blood and a swab to be on the safe side. I found out my results after having oral sex with my new bf.... now he has come down with a sore throat- and now scratchy throat. I am hoping it is a cold.

His symptoms showed up within 18 hours of us having oral sex.