Jump to content
World's Largest Herpes Support Group
@PNWLife

How do you cope as a "newby"?? :(

Recommended Posts

@PNWLife

Just got the news of my  HSV 2 blood test I had done for screening purposes being positive. Any ideas how to cope?? I am just devastated - I had no idea and never any symptoms/outbreaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
2 hours ago, @PNWLife said:

Just got the news of my  HSV 2 blood test I had done for screening purposes being positive. Any ideas how to cope?? I am just devastated - I had no idea and never any symptoms/outbreaks

Hey there.

With no symptoms or outbreaks there’s a chance of a false positive here.

Did you get a printout if the results? Your looking to see if you had an IgG or IgM test and the respective values for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vzhe

Realize that it's literally 1-in-3 who will come out positive on these tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@PNWLife
14 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey there.

With no symptoms or outbreaks there’s a chance of a false positive here.

Did you get a printout if the results? Your looking to see if you had an IgG or IgM test and the respective values for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

No print out but I specifically asked about which test it was and was told it was the IgG and the value was 3.78.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
21 minutes ago, @PNWLife said:

No print out but I specifically asked about which test it was and was told it was the IgG and the value was 3.78.

Do you have oral cold sores HSV-1?

Either way, you may consider a Westernblot for confirmation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@PNWLife
5 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Do you have oral cold sores HSV-1?

Either way, you may consider a Westernblot for confirmation. 

No I have never had any symptoms or outbreaks of either HSV 1 or 2. I requested a follow up appointment on Monday and will ask for a print out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WilsoInAus
16 minutes ago, @PNWLife said:

No I have never had any symptoms or outbreaks of either HSV 1 or 2. I requested a follow up appointment on Monday and will ask for a print out.

Have a chat to the doc about a Westernblot. Hopefully they are knowledgeable on the topic of false positives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@PNWLife
11 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Have a chat to the doc about a Westernblot. Hopefully they are knowledgeable on the topic of false positives.

Thank you I will - appreciate the insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Donate

    If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

  • The Hive is Thriving!

    • Total Topics
      70,498
    • Total Posts
      476,996
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

    Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

  • Posts

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.