World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
butterfly7521

Just got my blood test results back. Please help!!

butterfly7521

Hi. I just called the lab and got my blood test results, and I need some help interpreting these. They told me that I'll have to call my doctor for help interpreting these, but what with it being a holiday, of course my doctor is not available today. So, if you guys could try to explain my results to me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

HSV Type I AB IGG- EQUIVOCAL

HSV TYPE II AB IGG- NEGATIVE

HSV AB IGM- REACTIVE

butterfly7521

I just called the lab back to see if they had any actual numeric values associated with these results that they could give me, but unfortunately they didn't have any. They did say the 2nd time that I called that my HSV AB IGM result actually says REACTIVE BUT NOT DIAGNOSTIC. Any idea what this means??

VVK

You need to tell us when you got infected (or think that you got infected). If it's very recent, then the IgG results won't tell you very much. You *might* have HSV-1 but it doesn't look like you have HSV-2. The IgM results are supposed to tell you if you are fighting off a new infection, but the test is usually not very accurate.

It's best to take the IgG tests about 1-3 months afterwards to get a useful diagnostic result.

butterfly7521

I started dating and having sex with my boyfriend seven months ago. After a few months into our relationship, we had me go on Depo-Provera for birth control and stopped using condoms. I realize now that wasn't the smartest idea since I just took his word that he didn't have any STD's. However, I have been 100% faithful to him and I feel pretty confident that he hasn't slept with anyone else since meeting me. I just recently had some burning during urination and also noticed a few bumps on the inside of my vagina. So, I went to Planned Parenthood. The NP that examined me said that my bumps plus my symptoms seemed suspicious for herpes. She didn't do a culture test or recommend a blood test. She just automatically assumed I had it I guess and sent me on my way with a booklet and CD about herpes, and then they gave me a bunch of condoms. I told her though that I really wanted to have a blood test done just to be sure, so she wrote out a slip for me to bring to the lab at my local hospital so that I could have the blood work done.

VVK

If you got the symptoms very recently, then it's hard to tell if you got it using the antibody tests. A culture test is probably better at this stage.

butterfly7521

Thanks for letting me know VVK. Unfortunately or I guess I should probably say fortunately, the bumps have totally disappeared now so it's too late for them to do a culture test.

VVK

You're welcome butterfly. I guess if they come back periodically, then you will know. :( With some luck, they won't - but make sure to get tested later and be careful. I would suggest that you assume that you are infected and that you may spread it to your boyfriend genitally. Better to be safe than sorry, so it's a good idea to take the necessary precautions. This is especially true when you don't have a good immune defense against the virus at first, so you might be shedding at any time.