World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
pinkydinkydoo

do u think my concerns are valid enough for induction??

pinkydinkydoo

Im going to the doc appt next week and seeing if I can get induced at 38 weeks. Thats full term right?

Heres my reasons. Tell me if it sounds reasonable cause this is the honest truth

When I go to my 37 week doc appt and have no signs of a outbreak from HSV, Id like to be induced that next week or sooner. I would like a vaginal birth more then anything and can have one as long as long as Im having no outbreak. So of im outbreak free, I want to go ahead and induce to make sure I can deliver safely. I would be upset to be clear at 38 weeks then they wait for me to go on my own and i go to like 40 or more weeks and end up in an outbreak and having to have csection. That make sense??

Also....if my water breaks and it takes a while for me to get to the hospital, I worry about it traveling up into plcenta. So I rather my water be broke AT hospital. So inducing me at 38 weeks will insure this....unless I go early

Incase of god forbid any complications due to the HSV I rather be at the hospital that is in the county I go to for prenatal care. Its an hour further away then my local on. Its where babies and kids are airlifted though since their neonatal and childrens ward is the best. So i rather make sure Im there to deliver for sure rather then having complications and not able to make it there and deliver in the county im at only to have her airlifted there anyways and taking that time. I want to have her there!!!!!!!

So does it sound like a doc would listen to my concerns and do this??

HSV2Mom

pinky,

Does your doctor have you on suppressive therapy? If your doctor knows you have HSV, they should put you on suppressive therapy at 36 weeks. It doesn't necessarily mean you can't pass it on to your infant but it does help. I've never known of a doctor to induce just because of HSV. In my experience, it appears to me they have little concern of it affecting infants.

You can always ask to see if they will but even though you will be considered full term, I feel they may not induce you. It never hurts to ask.

I think your concerns are legitimate.

BoxofRain

i just worry about asymptomatic shedding and as far as i know they only do a visual inspection of the birth canal to check for signs, but it might be different depending what your doc. does. Also, i would worry that being induced might cause stress in the body and cause the virus to activate....or just the labor itself....but that is just my worry because the virus has the ability to travel from the nerves to the skin rather quickly...in my case very quickly for some reason so I just keep these things in my head. I think if you feel comfortable then ask your doc. and if they say no then i would just accept it wasnt meant to be that way and let it all happen naturally and hope for the best. good luck.

shutterbug

As far as the HSV goes, I am still very new to this, so I would definitely consult your doc there...

But I can tell you that because of high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia I was induced very abruptly at 36wks with my daughter, and she was born healthy & complication free...

So it would seem that 37 weeks would not be out of the question, but again it's really up to your doctor...

GOOD LUCK, and congrats on your new little one!! :)

pinkydinkydoo

thanks everyone for the replies

Im having another Ultrasound before im 37 weeks so Im sure they can make better decision after tat seeing how big she is then. Im 34 weeks now so I got a few weeks before that time comes

They said they would start supressive therapy at 36 weeks but im just worried of outbreak before I can deliver and having a Csection. If I can have vaginal sucessfully and safely, I would much rather that. Especially being a single mom and when I come home, Im on my own and I have a 3 year old. Csection is just such a scary thing for me. Ive never even broke a bone before

I will definately except what my doctors say but when I was diagnosed I asked them about vaginal and Csections and they were very set on vaginal as long as I had no signs of outbreaks before and during delivery

They were talking before diagnoses of HSV of inducing at 38 weeks if shes big cause my son was big and I have a small pelvis and had a tough time getting him out so they said if shes already a good size and doing well as far as lung maturity, they may go ahead and induce. This was only discussed once though so I dont even know about now