World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  

Genital Herpes Home Testing

NEW - In-home Genital Herpes Testing Kits!

Affordable, Hassle-free, 100% Confidential, 5 Minute Testing
  • No doctor or lab visits required
  • Prescription sent to your pharmacy
  • Lab-certified results in days
  • All from the comfort of home

Does Valtrex have any side effects, like low sex drive? If you are in a long term relationship should you take it daily in order to help your partner avoid getting it?

I've been on suppressive therapy now for almost 2 months (Valtrex 500mg once a day). Prior to that I treated per episode I was getting an OB about once every 6-8 weeks. I was diagnosed with HSV-2 in May (that's a really long story). I was (and still am) so freaked out that I'll pass it on to my husband that I decided to try suppressive therapy. So far (knock on wood) no subsequent OBs. The decision to try suppressive therapy comes down to you, your comfort with HSV and your partners comfort with your "status". It gives me peace of mind even though my husband gave me the comforting "in sickness and in health" speech.

The only side effects I ever had with the Valtrex was a little upset stomach and some killer headaches. That has all since passed.

I saw a severe dip in my sex drive when I was diagnosed, and I attributed that to the bout of depression that came along with my diagnosis, not the Valtrex.

I hope this helps a little.

Best wishes.