World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
desdemona

I need FACTS!!!

desdemona

:confused:I was diagnosed with HSV-2 on December 17th. I have had no symptoms and only decided to get tested when my boyfriend of 6 years told me he had recently had an outbreak which prompted him to go to a clinic and get tested. The culture came back positive. We were suspicious a couple of years ago when he had an outbreak and went to a doctor that told him he did not have it and did a blood test that came back negative. Well that doctor obviously did not know what he was talking about. Because he had it and has recently passed it to me.

I do not want to know what "someone thinks". I NEED to know as fact that HSV-2 cannot be transmitted elsewhere genitally or to our mouths or other areas if my partner and I are already infected. I have been told that since we already have it we are now immune to spreading it (HSV-2 only)anywhere else on our bodies. I have also been told that we can spread it elsewhere (orally) but no where else in the genital region because it is already there. I am getting conflicting theories. Is there anyone that can give me facts or direct me to somewhere that I can get the facts? I am going crazy and do not know what to do, where to go to get the facts or who to talk to. PLEASE HELP!!!!

catiesmom

Our mantra around here is "never say never" when it comes to HSV. I can't give you FACTS because i'm not sure anyone has cold hard FACTS like those you're asking for. The general assumption is you can't pass it easily if you already have antibodies to it, but autoinnoculation does happen. Sorry, but i'm just not sure you're going to get an answer.

VVK

Well, I can tell you that you can spread it to different parts of your body during an outbreak. For example, if you get an oral outbreak, you can spread it to unaffected parts of the lip or nostril or eye. It is less likely if you have antibodies to it, but the fact that you are getting an outbreak that is causing damage to your skin is a clear indication that your body is not able to combat the virus 100% effectively.

catiesmom

You actually can't transfer it to other parts of your face like that. Ocular herpes is something completely different, but for the rest of it, herpes actually lives in the upper part of your spine, not in the site of your outbreaks. When it's dormant, it stays in your spine. When it activates, it travels any of the nerve pathways from your spine to your face, and can appear anywhere it chooses. Just because you usually get outbreaks in a certain area does not mean you always will, or that your HSV infection is JUST there. That's why it's important to understand that your ENTIRE facial region (if you have oral) and your ENTIRE "boxer shorts" region (if you have genital) have the possibility of having virus particles on them. If you touch your outbreak and then touch another part of your lip, it's possible you could encourage an outbreak to form there, but only because you're loading that part of your skin with virus particles which your body may not fight off well. You do NOT need to worry about spreading HSV into your mouth through licking your lips (that question has been asked) or anything. As far as your eyes or nose go, the best advice i can give you is to wash your hands after touching your OB and make sure you don't paw at it. Touch it to wash/apply medicine/ etc, then wash your hands, then DON'T TOUCH IT AGAIN. However, don't worry about passing it around your mouth area -- it's already there.

That said, it is slightly possible to pass it to your genital region if you don't already have genital herpes, because that takes up residence in another part of your spine, so again WASH YOUR HANDS.

GeeGee

Wait- Catiesmom- so are you saying that if my bf and I both have it (mine is type 2 and I'm assuming he has it for this example- but obviously we don't know until he gets tested), then if we have oral sex when we're asymptomatic, it's not more likely to travel to the face? One of my big fears has been that if I give him oral sex, I'll end up with a cold sore on my mouth. I've never had one and it's a big fear for me. And you can get outbreaks on your nose? OMG. Scared newbie here, big time. :(

GeeGee

catiesmom

If you have genital herpes, you can possibly get oral herpes. It's less likely to happen, but it could. If you both have genital herpes and you perform oral sex on him, you COULD transfer it to your oral area. Similarly, if you have only oral herpes, it is still possible to get genital herpes. Having antibodies helps reduce your chances, and having antibodies to the same type he has GREATLY reduces your chances, but like i said in my first post -- we never say never around here. The virus you have is in the bottom part of your spine (genital herpes). There's still the top part of your spine that can get the virus too (oral herpes).

I'm certainly not saying "don't do it." I'm just saying "be smart about it, if you choose to do it."

alwaysalone

I have always questioned this too. I am scared to get it on my face from going south. before i knew you could get it up top too we were doing this ALL the time. Now we are more careful. Look into dental dams and stuff if you want to be a bit safer.

salientfacts

shedding and spredding

I am confused on this also. My girlfriend and I have both tested positive for hsv2 but we are both asymptomatic. Can we infect other regions or make our conditions worse by engaging in sex during periods of asymptomatic shedding?

VVK

Well, it's hard to tell when you're asymptomatic. For example, you need to know whether you are infected in the genital or oral region or both. If one of the areas is not infected, it is possible to infect it. As for making your conditions worse - again, difficult to say. Is it possible to get a different strain of the same type of virus, which would cause outbreaks in one person and not in another? There is very little research about this. In general, you have protection against the virus via your immune system (for HSV2). However, you may get a breakout if the virus enters susceptible cells via skin-to-skin contact during asymptomatic shedding. The trouble, again, is the lack of studies done on this.

grimca

maybe it'll just be good to use dental dam if you want to give oral that will save the stress of getting an outbreak there