World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
livelaughlove

If I have HSV1....

livelaughlove

below the waist and my body has already made the antibodies to fight it since i have tested + for it about a month after i caught it...is it really possible for me to catch it orally now?

VVK

If you have genital HSV-2, there is still a significant risk that you can get oral HSV-1. If it is the same virus, HSV-2 for example, it can still spread orally but it is less likely. The "probability" really depends on how strong and efficient your immune system is, overall and on the day that it is challenged by the virus as it tries to infect the other region.

catiesmom

What VVK said stands, despite the reversal of types. If you have HSV-1 below the belt, it will GREATLY reduce your chances of getting it orally as well, however there is still some small possibility (never say never!). It will reduce your chances of getting HSV-2 orally or genitally, but it's still possible as well.

livelaughlove

well, i know that i HSV 1 below the belt the culture during my first OB has been tested. other than that i have had no evidence of oral herpes, though the person that gave me this did have oral herpes, which confuses the heck out of me.

catiesmom

I'm in the same boat. The guy who gave this to me must have had oral, and we kissed more than he.... was down there. But i haven't shown any signs of oral either. You never really know until you get an outbreak. I've had canker sores more since getting HSV, but i've done TONS of searching and they seem to be characteristic cankers, nothing like cold sores. Dunno, but it happens, i guess.

livelaughlove

so basically they are related like siblings that i share the same mama but different daddy's? (weird analogy, i know) since they share about 50% of the same DNA, the antibodies build up against one or the other, therefore depending on wether or not you are exposed to the one you haven't got, you may or may not see signs of it?

catiesmom

You've confused me. I don't think you can make any predictions about the severity of the type you can still catch based on the fact that you have antibodies, but it would be safe to say it would probably be milder. Not that you wouldn't get outbreaks, and quite possibly you'd get them at the same time (your immune system is already run down). I'm not sure you can say that if you caught the other type you wouldn't see signs of it.

However, the parental analogy is accurate. Good way to put it! :)

livelaughlove

sorry catiesmom if i've confused you...i'm trying to understand herpes with my own reasoning, though there is no reasoning with herpes...it seems it just has a mind of its own and affects everyone differently, which makes it unpredictable, which makes me mad:confused:

Damaged

Yes I agree. wE ALL SHARE SAME AND UNIQUE EXPERIENCES WITH THIS DISGUSTING DISEISE. Sorry cap loks.

There is always a risk with Herpes. Some for others more contagious. Never say never. This is why we feel often isolated. The odds are high 1 and 5 are contaminated. I think they are thinking more orally hsv1 which is socially accepted however grossed out about. I do not think u will get it orally aswell from this experience. The body was more susceptible down below. Herpes are contagious. I heard if you have hsv1 and your partner gets them only upstairs, you have less of a chance of contiminating them downstairs. Everything though as we all know is relative.

VVK

80-90% of people are infected with oral HSV. The 1 in 5 is the genital statistics on HSV. Since oral sex is becoming the hot thing to do these days, I'm sure that 1 in 5 ratio will increase soon enough.