World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nemesi85

Hey y'all, it's 22 Years later...

Guest nemesi85

...and i'm still dealing with this disease. Hi guys this is my first time on this site, but I felt it was time to talk with other people who are goin thru similar situations and to gain support. I don't feel too worried about my condition for I received HSV-1 when I was still in my mother's womb. It was only now she told me how I got it and it also helped to answer my question as to why I never got the chickenpox, when everyone and their folks got it around me.

Now at 22 I've been in and out of the dating scene, but intimacy is not something I share frequently, but the last time I did was during some time overseas in April. There is a man in my life whom I've unexpectedly fell in love with and the whole point of me doin this is for him. You see, one night I came back to his place to reunite after I was backpackin to other countries w/ friends and colleagues' earlier in the day, I felt a blister forming on my lower lip. I didn't know what it was at the time so I brushed my teeth and cleaned my entire mouth. Then I put on a cold sore patch (only available in the UK and Europe) just to be on the safe side. However, I'm very worried. I've never seen a dental dam in my life (I've only been sexually active recently so I'm in the dark still about a few things) so I relied on that bandage/patch to help prevent some transmission to him. He also used the condom off and on, but I'm scared that I may have done something stupid. Sure enough the next day I was having an outbreak, the last 2 1/2 weeks that we were together we never noticed anything nor any changes have occured. I went to the doctor over there who assured me that the chance of transmission was much less since I protected the sore and it's a HSV-1 virus. But I'm still really scared b/c I meant well to keep the sore closed and to protect him, but I'm just worried as F*%K b/c I genuinely care about him and love him to death.

Sorry this is such a long introduction, but the thought of hurting him makes me upset. I've dealt with HSV-1 all my life but it's not about me anymore nor am I worried bout myself like that for my unselfishness is what brought me here...please help!

Hope to hear from you all soon hopefully with some uplifting advice!

VVK

hi nemesi85,

I think your doc did okay with reassuring you. Here are some more points to ponder upon:

About 80% of the world's population has HSV-1 orally. Do you know if he has it or not? You did not mention this in your post. You've known him since April, or 8 months?

Seeing as he was protected and you also took steps to cover the sore, you greatly reduced the risk of him contracting it - if he doesn't have it already.

catiesmom

The worst part of this virus is how it makes us feel - not the symptoms it presents. You can't beat yourself up too badly if you did the best you could - life is about learning and making mistakes. Granted, it was a mistake that might cause him some suffering, but like VVK said, do you know he doesn't already have HSV-1? It's highly possible (even probable), and it would protect him from what you have.

If you two are a good fit, hopefully you have good communication as well. Does he know you did what you thought was best? Is he scared as well? How does he feel?