World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
sisi

Type1.. do i freak out or go on wit my life..HELP

sisi

I just found out i have type 1 herpes. I was so surprised the way the doctor just told me like it was it was nothing (I mean she just said," you did come back positive for herpes type 1"...umm i would expect her to have a more 'break the news' tone). she did tell me people with type one have a less chance of getting type 2. She told me type 1 could have been easyly transmitted from my parents kissing me when i was younger or any mucus to mucus contact. I ask her does this go away she said no it's something i'm just gonna have to live with. What confort me at the time was when she said she has it and she only gets an outbreak like once every 3 years or when she in the sun a lot. She ask me how long i've been with my boyfriend i told her two years. I ask her should i let him know and she said "not really...it's nothing that you or hom should freak out about."

livelaughlove

well, i'm assuming you have HSV1 below the waist? i've had it there for about 4 months so i'm sure others have much more to say than i. are you having an outbreak? then they should give you some drugs like valtrex to make it go away because it made me feel like total sh*t when i first got it physically and emotionally. you and your boyfriend -in my opinion- should talk about it...who knows? he could have it orally and passed it to you via oral sex...you need to decide if he wants be protected below the waist or not? i kind of got the same reaction from my doc--kind of no big deal--i guess to those who don't have it, it's not a big deal. my dr. said that i should only have 1 outbreak and probably not another....if i were you i would research everything that this site has to offer--symptoms, prevention, fight back, diagnosis, etc...all those things that are on the side bar. it is ok to be upset and cry...you need to be able to release all of those emotions...i cried for entire day...and have had moments of sadness, but really it's not the worst thing that could happen to you...really it's not...hope that helps:-|

sisi

no she said i had oral...........i'm just so lost right now...i'm like in another world right now...i've been with my pertner for two year i've been COMPLETLY FAITHFUL..so did i get it from him....

VVK

sisi,

are you having an outbreak?

have you ever had a cold sore on the mouth or blisters in the genital region or perhaps recurring blisters in other regions of your body?

does your partner ever get blisters on his mouth, etc. etc.?

There is no way to tell you where you got the infection. Like your doc said, it could have been from your parents. Since some people never show any symptoms of infection, it is difficult to trace who you may have gotten it from. It could have been when you were young or recently from your partner or somewhere else. A good idea is to have him get himself tested to see if he is infected - it is good to know for both of you so you can plan accordingly for safety.

sisi

the only place i've ever had a coldsore is on my gums...i mean i've gotten then sine i was a child...i've had like 4 coldsore my whole life...i can't even recall the last time i got a coldsore and no i never got a coldsore down below only on my gums.

catiesmom

You've got classic cold sores then. You're in good company - estimates go as high as saying 90% of the population have what you have. No, there's no reason you should freak out about what you've got, but you DO have to understand it CAN be transmitted to your partner either orally or genitally, which is something doctors tend to *forget* to tell us.

If you kiss your boyfriend and he doesn't already have HSV-1, it is possible to transfer this to him. Also, if you give your boyfriend oral sex, it is possible to transfer your HSV-1 to his genital region, thus giving him genital herpes. It's true you're less likely to get HSV-2, but it doesn't mean you CAN'T. You should really do some research on the virus before getting upset -- there isn't much that will change in your life. However, you might consider getting your boyfriend tested just so you know what you two are up against. And in the future, be careful about kissing. You never know who does and doesnt have HSV, especially since it's rarely tested for.

If you're having an outbreak (one of those few ones you get) MAKE SURE you avoid kissing ANYONE. That's when your HSV has the most chance of spreading, and that's how most kids get it.

livelaughlove

are you sure you haven't had canker sores in your mouth? canker sores are not the same thing as oral HSV 1.

Shoegirl

It's really not a big deal for you to have oral herpes....SO many people have it. You just need to be careful. I know this from firsthand experience as I contracted genital HSV 1 from an ex. The scary thing is that he didn't even have a VISIBLE cold sore at the time of oral sex. He was just shedding the virus. Well, I was unlucky and now have to live with genital herpes for the rest of my life. I didn't even know you could get it that way--especially when he didn't even have a cold sore on his mouth at the time. I'm not trying to scare you or make you feel more worried than you already are. I just want you to know that what you have is completely normal.....but b/c you have this virus orally, you have to be careful not to spread it to someone (either orally or genitally). Read up and know your body. Listen to its signs and don't kiss when you feel a flareup coming on. There's lots of good info out there on this subject. Study everything that you can---knowledge is power after all.

Good luck