World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Turkey

Just diagnosed with hsv2

Turkey

I was just diagnosed with HSV1 and HSV2 but I have never had genital lesions only cold sores on my lips since I was a kid. The test was a blood test and I’m wondering if possibly it was a false positive because I have been reading these tests can be inaccurate. They also said on the phone that I have had the infection for a “long time” but I’m unsure on how long they are imagining or how they would know that.

Scooby2112

What test did you have and what were your values?   If they didn’t give you an igg value then call back and request it.  

Turkey

All I know was it was a blood test. They said I had had it for a long time because of the antibodies. I’ll have to call on Monday to check. I read online that the blood tests can be up to 50% false positives 

Tone123
2 hours ago, Turkey said:

All I know was it was a blood test. They said I had had it for a long time because of the antibodies. I’ll have to call on Monday to check. I read online that the blood tests can be up to 50% false positives 

It all depends on the igG value. From 1 to 3 can be false but anything higher can be a true pos. What made u want to test in the first place? Did u have an exposure that concerned u

Scooby2112

They may be saying a long time because you had positive igg and negative igm.  Igm is worthless.  Igg can take three months to turn positive.  

those with hsv1 orally tend to hot low igg for hsv2.  Those are in that 1-4 range that are potentially false positives.  Higher than a 4 is likely a true positive.  

Turkey

I had no symptoms or known exposure I got the number from the test and they are HSV1 31.60 HSV2 5.04 I have not had any genital symptoms I just wanted to be tested for all stds. So 5.04 is most definitely positive for genital herpes? I have had symptoms of oral herpes since I was a kid though 

Edited by Turkey

WilsoInAus

Hey @Turkey there are different cut offs for positive. Where are you? Did your test have a value for positive? Was it 1.1, 11 or 20 for example.

Turkey

Yes HSV1 31.60 hsv2 5.04 I just got a call from my doctor. I have a different pcp now and she’s saying also I tested positive in 2017 but they for sure told me it was negative back then. I’m confused 

Turkey

They actually said the other day that I was negative last year for both! Although that was wrong!? I live in Massachusetts my hsv2 was 2.0 or somthing in 2017 now it’s 5.04

Vintage7

Get checked again be sure if your unsure.