World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Bee123

So Shocked

Bee123

OK guys, I'm looking for some advice here.

Last Friday I went out with this man I met recently. We ended up back at his place and ended up fooling around. He gave me oral sex and there was a lot of touching going on down there.

Well, a couple days later I started to feel what I thought was a yeast infection coming on (my usual symptoms of excessive itching and burning with some scaley/sore patches) so I treated it with the usual over the counter stuff. Then yesterday (2nd day of treatment) I started to notice some painful spots around my vaginal opening and a little lower down. They are similar in size and color to mosquito bites. They were worse this morning so it's got me kinda worried. I've had similar irritation before from shaving in that area, but this seems to be worse than times past.

Also, prior to meeting this guy I had protected sex a few times with another guy. The last time I saw him was about 2 weeks ago. He says he was tested and negative for everything before we were together and hadn't been with anyone in between then.

There are some things about the first guy I'd like to mention. He works in some sort of construction and comes in contact with this chemical compound often which gives him what he called "cement burn". Apparently, it can linger on your hands after washing especially if they're extreemly dry (which his are). I have really sensitive skin so I'm wondering if his touching me down there could have irritated my skin or caused a whopping yeast infection. He says the irritation used to happen to his ex gf from time to time as well. Like I said, he went down on me. I did not see any sort of sores on his mouth, but I know you don't have to have an outbreak to spread herpes. He also said he was tested about 3 months ago and was negative for everything and hadn't been with anyone for about 3 months previous.

So, aside from getting checked out at the clinic what do you guys think? Anyone had similar symptoms before?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

VVK

It sounds like it may be a chemical irritation - does he know the name of the chemical that he comes into contact with?

Did the spots turn into blisters or are they still solid, raised bumps?

You're right with seeing the doc to get tested. Can you trust what the two men told you about their test results? And what did they get tested for?

Bee123

The chemical was lime. He's a mason and works with concrete all day long.

I do trust the guy that I was recently with, it's the other one I'm not too sure about. I just got up and checked them and they're still raised pink bumps. No blistering as of yet but they are a little weepy. Would they be blistering by now? It's been about 3 days since I've noticed them now. I guess I won't know until I've got them checked out which will be happening very soon.

I've had the most sleepless night imaginable, but I'm glad I found this site. It's obvious that you can still have this virus and lead a somewhat normal life. It's just the whole telling people part that's going to drive me nuts if I have it.

catiesmom

Not everyone has the same symptoms, so your bumps may be HSV, or they may be something else. The best thing you can do is get tested, because none of us here are doctors nor can we diagnose you over the internet.

Be sure when you go that you ask for a type specific HSV test, like the HerpesSelect. You want an igg test not an igm test. It's probably too late for a swab test. Don't let the doctor give you a visual diagnosis, and don't let him tell you it's "nothing". FIND OUT! Doctors don't tend to take HSV seriously, but we here know it's more significant than they believe.

Good luck! Let us know!

Bee123

Well, just got back from the doc. She was really good about everything and did a swab. Speaking of which Catiesmom, when is it too late for a swab? They were still pinkish/red bumps that looked like a mosquito bite and some of them are a little weepy so nothing has dried up or blistered over at all. The still kinda sting a bit but they aren't super painful or itchy. I'm also having some bloody discharge off and on as well, but I didn't know what that signified.

Anyway, they also did a blood test, but I didn't ask for a spicific one because I didn't know there were different ones. Of course we won't know the results now until Wednesday most likely because of the holiday.

She said she could not give a visual diagnosis because it looked so irritated with what I initially thought was the yeast infection. She said she couldn't tell if they were actual sores from herpes or really irritated skin that had gotten infected do to the proximity of the anal area.

She said that apparently a slight bloody discharge is not normal with this virus, but then again everyone is different so that means nothing to me. She only suggested that if it weren't the virus then it could be impacted hair follicles or some other irritation. That didn't give me much hope.

So, I have to live with this not knowing business for 5 days. I don't think I can take it. Thanks for reading though.

catiesmom

The bloody discharge doesn't sound normal, but like she said everyone is different. Swabs are usually only accurate within the first 48 hours after symptoms appear (i think), but since you got both done, hopefully it will give you an answer either way. Please keep in mind that if this is your first outbreak, it could take up to 3 months for the antibodies to appear in the blood test, so if both the swab (which may be too late) and the blood test (which may be too early) come back negative, that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have HSV. Best of luck! Waiting is always the hard part!!!

Shayna

Hi Bee123,

My first outbreak was what I thought was a mosquito bite. I was on vacation and didn't get a swab until I got back into the country. At that time I had mine for a week, My swab came back positive. I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm mentioning it because you said yours was still weepy, as was mine. So, the virus (if it is one) may still be active.

I'm hoping yours is something else! However, if it is hsv, you will learn to manage it and have as full a life as you desire.

Best of luck to you!

VVK

If the substance is lime, I don't think it is normal to get bumps from it. Lime is caustic to skin - it doesn't really induce bumps unless you experienced contact dermatitis from lime. However, if he washes his hands, this is very unlikely.

Bloody discharge - is that from the bumps or vaginal?

Did your doc tell you how to take care of the area and to keep it clean?

Bee123

The bloody discharge was from my vagina. I'm on the pill so this never really happens to me. I just get my period like clockwork pretty much. Anyway, I'm due to start it tomorrow so who know's what's up with that.

My doc didn't say anything about how I should care for the area. Does anyone have some tips on that especially since my period will be coming soon? I've just been showering like normal and wearing cotton panties. Wouls talc be a bad idea to keep the area dry?

Also, when could I expect the bumps to blister, or might they never do that? At this point they're still pinkish/red bumps with some weepyness, They've been present for four days now and they're just there, a little itchy/uncomfortable but not blistered. Does it usually get worse before it gets better, because this isn't great, but I'm not bedridden yet.

I really appreciate everyones attitude on this. I was on another forum for sexual health and people were very vindictive and preachy. Thanks guys!

Caliope

Bee123 - the bumps may simply remain as bumps there is no standard that says anything must become blisters. Some people experience lesions or large open sores that simply show up. Others get bumps similar to mosquito bites some get blisters or just an irritated itching sensation on their skin. Yours may stay as those bumps you describe.

my guess is that the bloody discharge is possibly from an internal reaction if you do in fact have hsv. we are all different and your body may be reacting this way. Otherwise I'd target your birth control pills as having allowed a little break through bleeding.

My best advice is to try to use as few topical products as possible. Clean and dry is the best way to avoid a secondary infection. If your skin is already irritated many things can make this get worse and we want to avoid that.

Do not use products with petroleum or hydrocortisone if you suspect there are herpes bumps/lesions/sores/blisters etc. it will make it worse. A powder applied to an open sore could cause further irritation.

If you find that days are passing the skin is getting more irritated call your dr and let them know. (more redness and or burning that seems to be spreading -symptoms are indicative of bacterial infection)

If you are comfortable use tampons if not use pads. I find that sometimes it is painful to insert the tampon so I use pads. the alternative is pads sometimes lead to dampness which is also irritating so I'd change them frequently. It is up to you.

Overall at the juncture you describe I recommend Epsom Salts baths and using a hair dryer on cool when you exit the tub - or gently pat dry. Wear loose cotton undergarments and loose clothing. Drink lots of water. If you can take extra vitamin c w/ bioflavanoids this helps your immune system to heal more quickly.

Bee123

Thanks Caliope and everyone else. You guys are being really helpful to me right now!

I am feeling like it's getting worse instead of better though. It's been five days since the bumps showed up so maybe it'll start getting better soon. The doc didn't give me anything to speed up the healing since she didn't want to diagnose anything until she had a result from the swab. I'm pretty sure its hsv though. I was sore and achy today and my lymph nodes were tender. That kinda sealed the deal for me. Did I read somewhere that this usually only happens during the primary OB? That would be nice.

My friends keeps saying "remember, they aren't sure yet". I don't want to think that way though because it feels like denial or something. I might as well just face it and move on. I don't have anyone to blame or any reason to be mad at myself about thisbecause I didn everyhting I was supposed to do besides not have sex. Maybe that's why I'm accepting it better than one would think. Then again, maybe it just hasen't fully hit me yet. I guess I'll find out though.

VVK

Lymph nodes are a dead giveaway of infection. I really wish your doctor would have assumed that it was hsv and given you some treatment for the virus. It does settle in your ganglia, but how much of it gets there depends on the duration and severity of the outbreak, how your immune system responds (and how quickly).

I don't know this for sure, but I would think that the more viral DNA that is delivered, the worse the subsequent outbreaks would be. If I am wrong about this, please correct me.

Hopefully the results come back soon and, if you are +, you can get treatment.