World's Largest Herpes Support Group
GeminiGirl83

Dating and Disclosure

GeminiGirl83

Hi there,

It’s been a while since I visited this site. I have not had a genital OB for 3+ years now and I don’t remember the last time I had oral OB. I still don’t know what type I have but I’m guessing it’s hsv-1 for both. 

Anyway, I’m here to ask you friends about how to disclose this disease to a possible partner. So I recently decided to go back to dating again after many years of being single though I did casually date 2 guys before and disclosed to them what I have and yes got dumped after revealing it to them. Now, I’ve been talking with this guy I haven’t met and will meet soon this Feb as he will fly to where I am living for us to meet. Do you think I should disclose to him now so that he doesn’t have to waste his time? Or wait till I got to know him better? I actually prefer the latter as I’m afraid to be judged and he might tell many people about my condition :(. None of my friends or family knew about my genital herpes and I would like to just keep it that way. 

Also, how do you disclose this kind of things in a way that will not scare him? I wanted to actually ask him thru text about what his opinion of std and if he would date a girl with std but I am afraid he might ask if I have that and I don’t think I can disclose now. 

I have also read from some that you can pass this even if you’re having protected sex. I don’t want to infect someone with this. When I think about it I feel lime maybe I should really just be single and be lonely for the rest of my life as a punishment. 

Please someone help! 😭

Edited by GeminiGirl83
Add story

Cas9

@GeminiGirl

If you tested, how can you not know what type you have?; i.e. I'm implying that you didn't test

Edited by Cas9

Tulip79
11 hours ago, GeminiGirl83 said:

Hi there,

It’s been a while since I visited this site. I have not had a genital OB for 3+ years now and I don’t remember the last time I had oral OB. I still don’t know what type I have but I’m guessing it’s hsv-1 for both. 

Anyway, I’m here to ask you friends about how to disclose this disease to a possible partner. So I recently decided to go back to dating again after many years of being single though I did casually date 2 guys before and disclosed to them what I have and yes got dumped after revealing it to them. Now, I’ve been talking with this guy I haven’t met and will meet soon this Feb as he will fly to where I am living for us to meet. Do you think I should disclose to him now so that he doesn’t have to waste his time? Or wait till I got to know him better? I actually prefer the latter as I’m afraid to be judged and he might tell many people about my condition :(. None of my friends or family knew about my genital herpes and I would like to just keep it that way. 

Also, how do you disclose this kind of things in a way that will not scare him? I wanted to actually ask him thru text about what his opinion of std and if he would date a girl with std but I am afraid he might ask if I have that and I don’t think I can disclose now. 

I have also read from some that you can pass this even if you’re having protected sex. I don’t want to infect someone with this. When I think about it I feel lime maybe I should really just be single and be lonely for the rest of my life as a punishment. 

Please someone help! 😭

Davidis from January 5th, had a great testimony regarding disclosure.  Check it out.  I think everyone has to find there own way, it depends on the person and circumstances.  Good luck.

LightafterDarkness

I would urge you to figure out if you have HSV1/HSV2 given your concerns.

In the case of HSV1 by age 50 60% of Americans carry the virus (source) and most people dont know they do since it causes no issues (kind of how everyone carries the ChickenPox virus). Basically if you date someone who already carries HSV1 and you have ghsv1 then they are protected.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• Sunnygirl2
      The unprotected oral and sex is with the same man. 
    • Sunnygirl2
      Here is my story. I hope this can give me some clarity and others as well. I had unprotected oral sex in April, one week later I came down with a bad flu..diarrhea, lower back pain, swollen lymph nodes in my elbows, body aches and a fever. One week later after the flu I developed 2 off-white bumps in my lower lip. I thought it might have been yeast. Stupidly, I have unprotected sex with this man 2 weeks later. He said he does not have anything, claims was tested and negative, and has given me excuse after excuse to test. Highly  suspicious and shady. The one time I didn’t listen to my gut...and...Within 3 days I develop a burning sensation in my vagina and pin size pimple-like bumps on my vaginal labia. I was swollen, and itchy. I thought it was a yeast infection ((sigh)), but nothing seemed to help. I was prescribed an antifungal, antibiotics, creams, and nothing. Months; sometime in July, and now noticing tingling, sharp shooting pain from my hamstrings into my glutes, groin pain, and increased itchiness; addition to everything else, I went to see my gynecologist. She did a PCR swab test. NEGATIVE. With continued symptoms and really no more than a week of not feeling these symptoms I went to my primary care doctor, back to gynecologist, and even Planned Parenthood out of desperation. Within all of those appointments I kept testing negative with an IgG HSV 1/2 test. I was given Acyclovir because one of the doctors said there is nothing to test but the only symptom that throws her off is the tingling. She said tingling is a classic symptom of herpes. She said to take it and treat this as if I have it even though I am testing as if I do not. I searched and searched for answers and came upon discovering the Western Blot for HSV 1/2 is the gold standard. I was at 8 months post exposure and sent a Western Blot to the UW. NEGATIVE. I immediately starting taking Acyclovir after sending the WB in hopes of alleviating some of the symptoms. Some symptoms have subsided a bit but are not completely gone. I don’t know what to think or make of this. Are herpes blood serum tests flawed? Should I continue with my life, accept the results, and live with these uncomfortable symptoms? Could the WB be a definitive negative? This is by far one of the worst situations I have had to face. I am beyond devastated, angry, and upset. I am so afraid to trust anyone now. 
    • hk81
      I have had an infection of HSV1 at the end of 2016, diagnosed through an urethral swab. After that, I have had a cascade of symptoms increasing year after year, which I have not been able to diagnose correctly. I am still struggling with the diagnosis and it would be interesting to compare opinions. Symptoms: - Constant irritation on the glans, rash. Small red wounds inside of the urethra. This is what I have associated with my typical symptom of herpes - In the last year: constant conjunctivitis. A bad pink eye lasting for a few days, once in the left eye, the next week in the right eye, and so on - Since a few months: red dots appearing on my fingers and then disappearing after a few hours. Occasionally turning into blisters. Once 2 swollen painful fingers   A doctor made some blood exams and he didn't bother to comment them before throwing me out of his door, saying "you are negative to herpes. you have an obsession and you need a psychologist" - IgM: < 0.9, IgG: > 30 I understand that this means an exstablished infection and I could not expect it to be different. I have no idea what it means the fact that my IgG is so high. I have read that IgM negative in some cases means that there is no recurrence / active or acute infection, but not always. - RF IgA (normal range 0 - 14): 62. I have read that this is an index of an established Rheumatoid Arthritis. This could probably correlate to the symptoms on my fingers. What I do not know is: can it be generated as a consequence of a herpes infection, as an autoimmune disease? Is this the possible reason why some people describe of symptoms getting worst after some years, or having nerve pain?
    • WilsoInAus
      She did see a doctor, it’s thrush.
    • RNY18

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.